A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Finally we can start imagine the new exit of Lisbon

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF x2, CPL
It doesn't look like me.
The old way suits me, and will continue to do so, just fine.
Regards
Gerard

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
It doesn't look like me.
The old way suits me, and will continue to do so, just fine.
Regards
Gerard
You can always choose the old dangerous Caminho 7km longer.

IMG_0160.PNG

8C2C8F08-0C07-4148-923F-152E1F5908C4.png
711260F3-8DF5-448D-A125-A755A287F222.png

F84FD4BF-995F-4C4C-B3B9-EA7C98117647.png

65639EB1-6D6D-4EB1-A2AF-BD2E2B44F4EF.jpeg

Last edited:

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
These photos illustrate why I usually take a train to the edge of the industrial belt area when walking from a major city (Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Leon, Burgos, etc.) . The shoulder (or verge) in Portugal is a lot narrower than in Spain, in general.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2017, I found the first third of the distance to have too much road-walking for my personal preferences. Once I got to Tomar and Coimbra, things were a lot better. Then, as I approached Porto, this got increasingly grey (as in concrete). I adapted to this and overcame using a streetcar and bus to get in and the metro to get a lead start, skipping over the "blah" areas.

As I do not find walking through industrial areas to be conducive to thoughts, mediation, or safety, I avoid them when and where possible.

Just sayin...

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
These photos illustrate why I usually take a train to the edge of the industrial belt area when walking from a major city (Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Leon, Burgos, etc.) . The shoulder (or verge) in Portugal is a lot narrower than in Spain, in general.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2017, I found the first third of the distance to have too much road-walking for my personal preferences. Once I got to Tomar and Coimbra, things were a lot better. Then, as I approached Porto, this got increasingly grey (as in concrete). I adapted to this and overcame using a streetcar and bus to get in and the metro to get a lead start, skipping over the "blah" areas.

As I do not find walking through industrial areas to be conducive to thoughts, mediation, or safety, I avoid them when and where possible.

Just sayin...
Maybe the next time with the new exit you will walk all the way :)

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
Is the video the same as the light blue line on the map? So this boardwalk starts in Sacavém?
Looks nice. I love the Portuguese boardwalks!
Jill
Yes Jill it is.

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018

robproct

Camino(s) past & future
Lisbon
I just walked from Sacavém and didn’t see any boardwalks. I do agree that walking from Lisbon cathedral to Sacavém is not easy. But it’s all Camino although not an easy start. In fact the first few hundred kilometres is not easy but if we want easy the go and lie on the beach in Biarritz. The fact that it’s not easy helps one just to concentrate on Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, Soulac, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo
The boardwalk between Povoa de Santa Iria and Alverca do Ribatejo (about 30kms from Lisbon), taken a month ago:

916a.jpg

Jill

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Camino(s) past & future
Does this mean Alpriate won't be an option to stop in for a first stage?
Camino 07 each pilgrim will choose. Having in mind the facts: +km,-road safe and time that Albergue is opened during the year.

Pilger99

Camino(s) past & future
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
Leaving Lisbon was not too bad. Some fotos look familiar, but why you describe almost no traffic (fotos + my own memory) as dangerous? Do pilgrims usually get lost there?
I'd appreciate an alternative between Alverca and Alhandra. At that part along the N-10 "dangerous" makes much more sense.
I usually like shorter distances and softer ground like the wooden boardwalks better, but here it seems to make accomodation much more complicated. I'm not tempted to repeat my stay in Alverca (there are many places I slept better) and to my knowledge we have no accomodation between Alverca and Vila Franca de Xira. I'd consider the resulting distance of ~35km as too long for the beginning. Plus VF de Xira had been full, when I stayed in Alverca. There was no other option as continuing to Azambuja the day after.
I hope you can find a better solution for this before the inauguration of the new route.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%