• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally we can start to imagine the new exit of Lisbon - May 2023!

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Time of past OR future Camino
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.
:)

Click on the picture below:

frente.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It doesn't look like me.
The old way suits me, and will continue to do so, just fine.
Regards
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It doesn't look like me.
The old way suits me, and will continue to do so, just fine.
Regards
Gerard
You can always choose the old dangerous Caminho 7km longer.

IMG_0160.PNG

8C2C8F08-0C07-4148-923F-152E1F5908C4.png
711260F3-8DF5-448D-A125-A755A287F222.png

F84FD4BF-995F-4C4C-B3B9-EA7C98117647.png

65639EB1-6D6D-4EB1-A2AF-BD2E2B44F4EF.jpeg

Last edited:
These photos illustrate why I usually take a train to the edge of the industrial belt area when walking from a major city (Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Leon, Burgos, etc.) . The shoulder (or verge) in Portugal is a lot narrower than in Spain, in general.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2017, I found the first third of the distance to have too much road-walking for my personal preferences. Once I got to Tomar and Coimbra, things were a lot better. Then, as I approached Porto, this got increasingly grey (as in concrete). I adapted to this and overcame using a streetcar and bus to get in and the metro to get a lead start, skipping over the "blah" areas.

As I do not find walking through industrial areas to be conducive to thoughts, mediation, or safety, I avoid them when and where possible.

Just sayin...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These photos illustrate why I usually take a train to the edge of the industrial belt area when walking from a major city (Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Leon, Burgos, etc.) . The shoulder (or verge) in Portugal is a lot narrower than in Spain, in general.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2017, I found the first third of the distance to have too much road-walking for my personal preferences. Once I got to Tomar and Coimbra, things were a lot better. Then, as I approached Porto, this got increasingly grey (as in concrete). I adapted to this and overcame using a streetcar and bus to get in and the metro to get a lead start, skipping over the "blah" areas.

As I do not find walking through industrial areas to be conducive to thoughts, mediation, or safety, I avoid them when and where possible.

Just sayin...

Maybe the next time with the new exit you will walk all the way :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is the video the same as the light blue line on the map? So this boardwalk starts in Sacavém?
Looks nice. I love the Portuguese boardwalks!
Jill
Yes Jill it is.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just walked from Sacavém and didn’t see any boardwalks. I do agree that walking from Lisbon cathedral to Sacavém is not easy. But it’s all Camino although not an easy start. In fact the first few hundred kilometres is not easy but if we want easy the go and lie on the beach in Biarritz. The fact that it’s not easy helps one just to concentrate on Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The boardwalk between Povoa de Santa Iria and Alverca do Ribatejo (about 30kms from Lisbon), taken a month ago:

916a.jpg

Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does this mean Alpriate won't be an option to stop in for a first stage?

Camino 07 each pilgrim will choose. Having in mind the facts: +km,-road safe and time that Albergue is opened during the year.

Leaving Lisbon was not too bad. Some fotos look familiar, but why you describe almost no traffic (fotos + my own memory) as dangerous? Do pilgrims usually get lost there?
I'd appreciate an alternative between Alverca and Alhandra. At that part along the N-10 "dangerous" makes much more sense.
I usually like shorter distances and softer ground like the wooden boardwalks better, but here it seems to make accomodation much more complicated. I'm not tempted to repeat my stay in Alverca (there are many places I slept better) and to my knowledge we have no accomodation between Alverca and Vila Franca de Xira. I'd consider the resulting distance of ~35km as too long for the beginning. Plus VF de Xira had been full, when I stayed in Alverca. There was no other option as continuing to Azambuja the day after.
I hope you can find a better solution for this before the inauguration of the new route.

€83,-
Since this is my own podcast, it refers to the 2020 incident that @trecile linked to above. I have not heard of any attacks since that time.

As is being discussed in multiple other current threads, the camino is being rerouted away from that area and the new path is expected to be in place this year.
How would one best get an update on opening date of this new route ? For info, we leave Lisbon on the 6 April.

How would one best get an update on opening date of this new route ? For info, we leave Lisbon on the 6 April.
Contact the Via Lusitana. I won’t paste their email address here but you can find it on their website. And please report back if you receive an answer because this is an FAQ at the moment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks like I’ll miss it then, heading out from Lisbon on the 6 April. However, we my start on the 5 April and return to our accommodation that night as we have accommodation booked for the 4th and 5th. Had been planning on a lazy day on the 5th, but thinking now we may just crack on with the walk.

Just heard back from the Cámara Municipal. She wrote to me in English, so I guess my poor attempt at writing in Portuguese didn’t fool anyone.

The new riverside route should be completed in May this year. We hope you enjoy using it

Not very specific, and May pilgrims may not get to walk on it, but it looks like it will be a reality this year!!!!
Yay!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unfortunate for those of us starting in April but plan B it is.

Looks like I’ll miss it then, heading out from Lisbon on the 6 April. However, we my start on the 5 April and return to our accommodation that night as we have accommodation booked for the 4th and 5th. Had been planning on a lazy day on the 5th, but thinking now we may just crack on with the walk.
Looks like we will be just 5 days ahead of you Jim. We will be walking from Gibraltar and arriving on Lisbon on the 29thMar. That should put us leaving Lisbon on 01Apr. We will be vlogging our trip at Rock2Santiago.com if you'd like to subscribe/follow and see what's just in front of you - albergue recommendations/experiences etc.

€83,-

Found this link but just says works are ongoing.

We just walked there. From the state it is in I highly doubt it will be done in May. Have seen some signage which indicates that it is supposed to be ready in August.

Added some pictures from where the new bridge is being built.
Further down /up from there the board walk itself is also still being built. Some small sections are already complete. But there are big gaps inbetween.

For now expect to walk the “original” route for a while longer!

IMG_9910.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9907.jpeg
    IMG_9907.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Thanks so much for your boots on the ground report - at least now we can modify our expectations and not expect a short cut:( Any other observations you have along the way will be much appreciated. Enjoy and bom caminho! Linda

€83,-
My husband and I are heading out from Lisbon on Friday 5/26. I have booked at VIP Executive Santa Iria but that is kind of out of the way (not to mention expensive) if we're still walking the old route. Anybody have suggestions for alternate lodging?

We will be just ahead of you - leaving Lisbon 14 May. We have booked 2 nights in Vila Franca de Xira. Will walk to Povoa de Santa Iria then train forward for the night then train back to Povoa de Santa Iria in the morning to continue. Bom caminho, Linda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I are heading out from Lisbon on Friday 5/26. I have booked at VIP Executive Santa Iria but that is kind of out of the way (not to mention expensive) if we're still walking the old route. Anybody have suggestions for alternate lodging?

We walked to Savacem station on the first day. Then took a Bolt/Uber to VIP Executive santa ria.
Because there was a stike and the trains were not running. Next day we took a ride back to Sacavem station and walked to Villa Franca de Xira.

Hi
Has anyone used the new route out of Lisbon
I was looking at this for next year and wondered if it sign posted yet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It’s not ready yet (the new ETA is sometime this northern summer) but I’m sure it will be signposted when it’s open for business.

For what it’s worth, I think the current route will be much better. After our 5th April walk on day one to Povoa de Santa Iria, walking through pleasant scenery is much preferable to a miles long monotonous boardwalk.

Currently ar Vila Franca de Xira for our second night. We actually walked the first 8.4km to Parque de Nacoes on our second 'rest day' after arriving in Lisbon to break up our first day of about 26k. Got our credentials at the Sè, the entrance is around the side as the front is covered in scaffolding obscuring the first arrow:( but we got a photo with an arrow at the Ireja de Santiago further up the street. Met 3 other pilgrims that day:) next day (yesterday) trained back to Parque de Noces and continued on. Nice walk up to Sacavem (new bridge not completed) so onward on the old route up the river valley thru Granja and Alpirate. Lovely walk but warm, nice breeze at times. Lots of bom caminho's from the many cyclists zooming around and people out walking. Glad to get to the cafe in Granja, lovely welcoming people, happy to fill up our water bottles:) After Alpirate cut up through the first tunnel under the highway (camino goes to the right) and went straight down to the Povoa train station and trained to VFdX. This morning trained back to Povoa and walked back to VFdX - some nice tracks and the last 4k beside the river. Lovely weather so far. Have met several other pilgrims here:)
Linda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back