• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finally!

• Thread starter Former member 94614
  • Start date
F

Former member 94614

OK finally booked for April 19th, 2022, my first Camino Frances after having booked it and had it cancelled for covid/health reasons for years. So happy to make a new round of reservations. btw any comment on getting from Madrid to SJPP all in one day at that time? Planning to leave Madrid around 9am on bus to Pamplona and then somehow get to Saint Jean either another bus or taxi? Any comments appreciated. I know there are some older posts on this but if anyone has some newer info that would be great. Buen Camino fellow pilgrims!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
btw any comment on getting from Madrid to SJPP all in one day at that time? Planning to leave Madrid around 9am on bus to Pamplona and then somehow get to Saint Jean either another bus or taxi? Any comments appreciated.
Vs, fresh info: As of today:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wrote something recently about the bus to SJPdP. Here's the link:

Based on previous years the first day of daily bus service should start sometime in early March. In April sometime there should be two daily buses. Later in the year it may go to three then four buses and then slowly back down to none.

Buen Camino.
thanks so much that is very helpful. after lots of consideration i’ve decided to just bus to Pamplona and stay there for a couple days after arriving from Madrid. then i’ll take a taxi or bus to Roncesvalles and start my Camino there. that way, when i am in walking mode I won’t have to spend time in Pamplona but can keep going on through.

I wrote something recently about the bus to SJPdP. Here's the link:

Based on previous years the first day of daily bus service should start sometime in early March. In April sometime there should be two daily buses. Later in the year it may go to three then four buses and then slowly back down to none.

Buen Camino.
very helpful i really appreciate it! see my response to rick above- i’ve decided to hang out in pamplona for a couple rest/tourism days instead of starting in SJPP and will bus/taxi to Roncesvalles to start after that. you guys are great! thx :)

thanks so much that is very helpful. after lots of consideration i’ve decided to just bus to Pamplona and stay there for a couple days after arriving from Madrid. then i’ll take a taxi or bus to Roncesvalles and start my Camino there. that way, when i am in walking mode I won’t have to spend time in Pamplona but can keep going on through.
That is what I did this year. I flew to Barcelona then bus to Pamplona stayed for two days then caught the bus to Roncesvalles. Enjoy your Camino I took it slow, stopped at off stage albergues and loved every minute.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is what I did this year. I flew to Barcelona then bus to Pamplona stayed for two days then caught the bus to Roncesvalles. Enjoy your Camino I took it slow, stopped at off stage albergues and loved every minute.
thank you! my plan exactly :). any tips re the bus? also, this may be stupid but i just realized that I do not know where to get my credential, shell, info on the inclines etc if i don’t go to SJPP Pilgrim office. is there a pilgrim office in Roncesvalles or should i try to do that while in Pamplona? also, any recommendations on where to grab some hiking sticks and one of those big pack-covering ponchos while in Pamplona? i hope i didn’t just ask too much at one time. any help appreciated. it feels so good to finally have this booked again. makes it real.

Last edited:
Equipment can be found at Caminoteca near the cathedral.

Or Decathlon not far from the train station.

A credencial can be gotten at the Jesus y Maria albergue near caminoteca and the cathedral. Click to enlarge.
View attachment 114542
thank you so much!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thank you! my plan exactly :). any tips re the bus? also, this may be stupid but i just realized that I do not know where to get my credential, shell, info on the inclines etc if i don’t go to SJPP Pilgrim office. is there a pilgrim office in Roncesvalles or should i try to do that while in Pamplona? also, any recommendations on where to grab some hiking sticks and one of those big pack-covering ponchos while in Pamplona? i hope i didn’t just ask too much at one time. any help appreciated. it feels so good to finally have this booked again. makes it real.
I got my Camino passport from Ivar. My poles from Caminoteca they were very helpful. I stayed at the Aloha hostel, which is close to the bus station, booked on booking .com. Tip for the bus get there early and queue even before it is on the board. When I went they put on an extra minibus and no one was left behind.

I would advise to go and start from sjpdp don't miss this opportunity of great but fairly challenging first day and have the option of starting later day and staying at orison

I am also spending a few days in Pamplona - Friday, April 15 to Monday, April 18, then going to Roncesvilles to begin my walk on Tuesday, April 19. Just a note about the bus from Pamplona to Roncesvilles if you plan to go on Monday, April 18th. It is Easter Monday and the bus schedule says no busses on Sundays and Holidays. So I guess the only way is by taxi. Better to travel on Tuesday if you can.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am also spending a few days in Pamplona - Friday, April 15 to Monday, April 18, then going to Roncesvilles to begin my walk on Tuesday, April 19.
If you would like to walk a little farther the Pamplona to SJPdP bus route serviced by ALSA/Conda is supposed to be running in April.

If you would like to walk a little farther the Pamplona to SJPdP bus route serviced by ALSA/Conda is supposed to be running in April.
Where I live there are no mountains or elevations of any kind. It is literally flat as a pancake. The only inclines I have to practice on are the stairs of my house and the highway overpass. So I have decided to start in Roncesvilles rather than SJP. (I would love to see the Pyrenees mountains, tho, so I am thinking I may come back after I reach Santiago and do that stage LOL!) I understood that there was only one bus running from Pamplona to Roncesvilles, but I will look into ALSA. Maybe they will run on the holiday Monday so I don't have to taxi.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.