• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finances to Feet

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
Aloha Forum Ohana,

In six weeks I begin my journey and feel like I have an equal number of butterflies in my stomach as steps I will be walking. With my fractured foot I will be barely healed by the time I go, or not, but going I am.

I am going to post a series of short questions that will help me calm down (maybe). Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Today's two questions:

1. I'm starting to panic about money; how much realistically, with all of the Covid related changes the Camino has had to adapt to, am I looking at needing to spend each day?

2. I will be heading out of SJPDP with no training (due to my foot), out of shape, and while not limping at the start of the day, I most likely will be somewhat by the end of the day. I am expecting I am going to feel like I've been hit by a truck, and not sure what my options are after Roncesvalles for a place to stay the second day after a fairly short walk. Does anyone have any recommendations for an albergue or inexpensive hotel not too far out so I can rest mostly the second day?

With Gratitude,
Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would suggest if you can break your first day, that might help. That first day over the mountain for a newly healed injury may be quite tough. You can either stay in one of the albergues if you can get a booking, or taxi down to SJPDP and back again the next day.
Money wise I cant tell as I last walked in Sept/Oct 2019. People who have walked more recently can advise on that.

Aloha Forum Ohana,

In six weeks I begin my journey and feel like I have an equal number of butterflies in my stomach as steps I will be walking. With my fractured foot I will be barely healed by the time I go, or not, but going I am.

I am going to post a series of short questions that will help me calm down (maybe). Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Today's two questions:

1. I'm starting to panic about money; how much realistically, with all of the Covid related changes the Camino has had to adapt to, am I looking at needing to spend each day?

2. I will be heading out of SJPDP with no training (due to my foot), out of shape, and while not limping at the start of the day, I most likely will be somewhat by the end of the day. I am expecting I am going to feel like I've been hit by a truck, and not sure what my options are after Roncesvalles for a place to stay the second day after a fairly short walk. Does anyone have any recommendations for an albergue or inexpensive hotel not too far out so I can rest mostly the second day?

With Gratitude,
Jill

Do you absolutely want to start in SJPDP? Just genuine concern seeing your injury.
Pamplona is a nice start also.

Otherwise lots of choices between Roncesvalles and Zubiri.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can’t help but admire your spirit but seriously question the wisdom of starting out from SJPDP given your described physical condition.
Aside from further damage to your foot, which could deny you further walking, if on a particular remote stretch you become immobilised you not only put yourself in potential danger but risk endangering others.
Be advised also that should a situation arise where a helicopter rescue is necessary it will be exceptionally expensive and you risk being fined.
Not wishing to a damper on your obvious enthusiasm I’d suggest starting at Roncesvalles or further down the trail.
Your choice, Jill, and, whatever, enjoy!
Paul

I would suggest if you can break your first day, that might help. That first day over the mountain for a newly healed injury may be quite tough. You can either stay in one of the albergues if you can get a booking, or taxi down to SJPDP and back again the next day.
Money wise I cant tell as I last walked in Sept/Oct 2019. People who have walked more recently can advise on that.
Thank you for that suggestion, someone else made it too. My intent was to walk to Orrison. From there I get nervous, but I suppose worst case, as you say, I could head back.

Do you absolutely want to start in SJPDP? Just genuine concern seeing your injury.
Pamplona is a nice start also.

Otherwise lots of choices between Roncesvalles and Zubiri.
Many thanks for your thoughtfulness. I'm going to try, you know I've day dreamed so much about that piece, the vista's, the Griffin vultures, the Madonna. I've had to adjust my thinking though and sternly tell myself it's ok to do things differently or creatively if I need to. Thank you again for your suggestion.
Can’t help but admire your spirit but seriously question the wisdom of starting out from SJPDP given your described physical condition.
Aside from further damage to your foot, which could deny you further walking, if on a particular remote stretch you become immobilised you not only put yourself in potential danger but risk endangering others.
Be advised also that should a situation arise where a helicopter rescue is necessary it will be exceptionally expensive and you risk being fined.
Not wishing to a damper on your obvious enthusiasm I’d suggest starting at Roncesvalles or further down the trail.
Your choice, Jill, and, whatever, enjoy!
Paul
Point we'll made and taken. I have that in my mind already, both from the standpoint of being on the board of our fire department here, but also living in a place where people do exactly what you describe. I do not want to be that person. My first goal is evaluate how I feel in SJPDP, then Orrison if I feel good, and then take stock there and decide how logical it is for me to go further. I would assume I could get a bus to go around if I went back to SJPDP. Thank you for your common sense.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergue Haizea is in Espinal, which is right after Roncesvalles. I haven't stayed there but it looks quite nice and the price is very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Aloha From Kauai, I've seen your replies but with your injury and lack of training I'm worried that your Camino may get off to a bad start. I also recommend starting in Pamplona.

But if you really want to start from SJPdP ...

The steepest and hardest part of the Napoleon route is the climb up to Orisson. You could take Express Bourricot there and save strain on your foot. Or you could take it to be dropped off further on for the day and a short walk to see the sights you want to see and head back to SJPdP and then Pamplona.

If you do walk to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon then from the Col of Lepoeder be sure to take the route to Ibaneta recommended by the Pilgrims' Office instead of the direct route down through the forest.

Buen camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does anyone have any recommendations for an albergue or inexpensive hotel not too far out so I can rest mostly the second day?

With Gratitude,
Jill
I made a reservation at Posada El Camino in Lintzoain for my (cancelled) 2020 camino. So I haven't actually stayed there but it's 14 km from Roncevalles and you can book a bed in a shared room for €20.

From what I can see the whole of the accommodation is one 2-berdroom apartment which you can book as the whole apartment, by the room or just a bed (April - November).

Hi Aloha From Kauai!
Have a great Camino Frances!
However here's my 5 cents worth!
As Rick said the walk from SJPP is the hardest up and down day on the way don't miss the sights you want to see the most; there is nothing wrong in his suggestion about transport!.

(I have only walked the Portugues Coastal, Senda Litoral and Spiritual Variant so no real hands on knowledge or should i say feet on knowledge of the Frances;but i do know how hard it is to walk with a problem!
I was told by a podiatrist not to walk for at least 5 days after he treated me in Viana do Castelo.
I was lucky i was able to follow advice;if i had carried on i truly believe that would have been the end of my Camino!)
I know it's your desire to get over the Pyrenees but don't let day one risk the end of your dream!!!
The guys on here only wish you the best and it's your Camino your way;only you know your limits.

All the best
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
One of the most vivid lessons I learned in travel many years ago was to distinguish between wanting to go to a place and putter around for a bit or go to a place to see something specific and then move on. I spent a very long four days in Lima Peru after misjudging that.

So- if you are wanting to start from SJPP because you want to walk that section of the path, go for it. If you are wanting to start in SJPP because that's where everyone "says" you're supposed to start, come join me in starting in Pamplona. The history of this walk says that people walked out their front door and started walking. I'm sure they took advantage of every donkey cart that offered a ride along the journey. If your donkey cart is a taxi that stops at the sights along the way of the section you choose not to walk, I won't tell anyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are leaving in 6 weeks watch the weather. You may need to go the Valcarlos route. It is probably less expensive than Orrison which we found to be one of the most expensive stops. Also the 2 day trek is more evenly divided milage-wise.

If you are staying in private rooms the trek will be more expensive. Also last fall there were fewer kitchens open and fewer communal meals which may mean you'll need to budget more for dining out.

Last fall on the meseta, my husband spent about 30 euros per day staying in albergues with his food. More like 50 euros and more with food if you are staying in private rooms.

Last edited:
With your injury it is a wise choice to start with short stages. Walk slowly also. Take a lot of rest stops.

It seems you really want to walk the route Napoléon, but I'd suggest to maybe walk the Valcarlos route instead if your heart is set on crossing the pyrenees?

It is a nice route also, vultures and all :)

The Valcarlos albergue is roughly on the halfway point to Roncesvalles, can be booked in advance, and shouldn't be full at all if the route Napoléon is open. The first half to Valcarlos is easier than the second half to Roncesvalles and a good way to test your strength.

The Valcarlos route crosses the road to Roncesvalles several times, so you could carry a taxi number just in case (if you can't walk further, you could then call a taxi to pick you up at the road and bring you the rest of the way to your destination). Or take a taxi all the way from Valcarlos albergue if you notice problems the first day. If you still want to walk a few kms at least the second day, ask the taxi to drop you off at the alto de Ibañeta chapel. Then walk the few kms left from there to Roncesvalles (easy walking from there, and a nice view back into France!)

http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE2.06.CF_description_en_01.htm this map shows both routes.

Regarding daily budget, it really depends. Private rooms or albergues? Self catering or restaurant meals only? Ect.

Whatever you decide, happy planning and buen Camino! You can do it!

The steepest and hardest part of the Napoleon route is the climb up to Orisson. You could take Express Bourricot there and save strain on your foot.
Orisson only accepts pilgrims arriving by foot.

But she could take Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle up to Croix Thibault and skip the first part of the climb altogether, but still take in the beauty of the Pyrenees.
And definitely take the easier way to the right down to Roncesvalles.
(I edited my post -iit's the path to the right that's easier)

Screenshot_20190302-123508_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked last year after a bad tibial plateau fracture. I had one week walking full body weight before leaving. I chose to have my pack transported to not add extra weight. I used hiking poles. I brought several freezer zip bags to use for ice packs to bring down the pain and swelling along with antiinflammatories daily. I walked several shorter stages and rearranged my route and started in Pamplona. That starts with the climb up and down from Perdon. I'm not sure that was a great choice for a first day and the rocks coming down from the summit would be rough on your foot. I learned later there is another option of the road the bikes use. Overall it is critical to listen to your body and not reinjure yourself and create something chronic. I was able to get my knee so much stronger and it was great rehab in the end. Buen Camino!

Aloha Forum Ohana,

Today's two questions:

With Gratitude,
Jill

I highly recommend that you test out your perception of what you imagine the physical effort and challenge could be like - given your described condition - by locating a treadmill, wearing what you plan to wear and carry up Napoleon Route, setting the treadmill to a 14% grade (the usual limit, even though Napoleon can be as much as 22%), and walk on that treadmill for only an hour.

Although that hour on the treadmill is only a small part of the total time needed to walk to Roncesvalles from SJPdP for those who are fit, it may give you a more realistic glimpse of what you may face given your situation. You may decide it better to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trekking poles. Get some trekking poles and learn how to use them effectively. They really do allow you to walk more efficiently and do take stress off your legs and back.
If you have the green light from your doctor and physical therapist to walk the Camino, you pace yourself and know your limitations you'll be ok I am sure. Massage, stretching, proper supportive footwear etc. I've broken my left ankle twice, fibula. All these years later I still make sure I stretch properly when I can on the Camino and pace myself.

Further to my comments above I add the following: if you (and, for that matter, any other “pilgrims”) do propose to walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one go/day an early start is recommended. With my wife we were on the road by 5 a.m. and, given that the early kilometres are on road, had no navigation problems. At that hour it was cool, yes, but we were moving, albeit slowly, but we did enjoy a glorious breaking dawn.
The choice is with you, Jill!
Bon Camino, as they sometimes say!

I highly recommend that you test out your perception of what you imagine the physical effort and challenge could be like - given your described condition - by locating a treadmill, wearing what you plan to wear and carry up Napoleon Route, setting the treadmill to a 14% grade (the usual limit, even though Napoleon can be as much as 22%), and walk on that treadmill for only an hour.

Although that hour on the treadmill is only a small part of the total time needed to walk to Roncesvalles from SJPdP for those who are fit, it may give you a more realistic glimpse of what you may face given your situation. You may decide it better to start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.
Excellent advice no matter where I start! The treadmill will give me a flat surface while I'm in the repair mode and really assess my quads, though I'm pretty sure I know what they're going to say. There has been some excellent advice given to my questions and I am reformulating my whole concept of my first day. Mahalo for your great tip!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Best advice ever IMHO after my 10-12 caminos... Without pre-training, with a not-so-good foot, you will have a "surprise" on your first day up from SJpdP... No point in ruining a whole Camino for just your first day...

Edit: Please report back here after you have done the treadmill test that @davebugg recommended.

Last edited:
Albergue Haizea is in Espinal, which is right after Roncesvalles. I haven't stayed there but it looks quite nice and the price is very good.
Very kind of you, thank you!

Regarding money, it is hard to answer without having a better idea of what your expectations are - private room vs albergue, whether you might share a double room with another pilgrim, number of restaurant cafes and snacks, etc. My guess at this point is that your accommodation will range from €10-50 Euros and food from €10-25, plus a bit of change for odds and ends. So, €25/day might allow you to travel like a student on a tight shoestring, but I would expect to spend double that. Here is another thread on the topic.
2. I will be heading out of SJPDP with no training (due to my foot), out of shape,
What is your travel plan to get to SJPP? Given the uncertainties of your foot, I agree with others who suggest a different starting point such as Pamplona (or even Roncesvalles). It just seems much better to me, to have a more stress-free start. That would give you an extra day or 2 of flexibility in case you need to shorten your daily distances.

I've day dreamed so much about that piece, the vista's, the Griffin vultures, the Madonna.
Those day dreams are great. The realities may or may not be the same. That will be true wherever you start. Better to preserve your ability to meet the many challenges and joys you will encounter later. The Pyrenees are very nice on a nice day, but not worth risking the rest of the journey or even the worry in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Aloha From Kauai, I've seen your replies but with your injury and lack of training I'm worried that your Camino may get off to a bad start. I also recommend starting in Pamplona.

But if you really want to start from SJPdP ...

The steepest and hardest part of the Napoleon route is the climb up to Orisson. You could take Express Bourricot there and save strain on your foot. Or you could take it to be dropped off further on for the day and a short walk to see the sights you want to see and head back to SJPdP and then Pamplona.

If you do walk to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon then from the Col of Lepoeder be sure to take the route to Ibaneta recommended by the Pilgrims' Office instead of the direct route down through the forest.

Buen camino.
Thank you,
Everyone's comments have been immeasurably helpful, and if I go on some part of this section I am definitely taking the gentler side down!
Thanks again

Regarding money, it is hard to answer without having a better idea of what your expectations are - private room vs albergue, whether you might share a double room with another pilgrim, number of restaurant cafes and snacks, etc. My guess at this point is that your accommodation will range from €10-50 Euros and food from €10-25, plus a bit of change for odds and ends. So, €25/day might allow you to travel like a student on a tight shoestring, but I would expect to spend double that. Here is another thread on the topic.

What is your travel plan to get to SJPP? Given the uncertainties of your foot, I agree with others who suggest a different starting point such as Pamplona (or even Roncesvalles). It just seems much better to me, to have a more stress-free start. That would give you an extra day or 2 of flexibility in case you need to shorten your daily distances.

Those day dreams are great. The realities may or may not be the same. That will be true wherever you start. Better to preserve your ability to meet the many challenges and joys you will encounter later. The Pyrenees are very nice on a nice day, but not worth risking the rest of the journey or even the worry in advance.
All very wise. I am adjusting my sails with the help of everyone's Aloha and experience. I had planned $50 Euro per day (Def not trying to do a student on a budget option). I will mostly be frugal and I will do mostly albergues as long as social distancing in the dorms has been adopted, but at the other side of life's midway point I'm not going to turn down an occasional reasonably priced private/semi private accommodation with a dedicated restroom 😊!
Thank you for your continued sound advice!

Maybe I should post again my profiles of the routes from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. The Napoleon route shows the less steep route down that is recommended by the Pilgrims' Office. Clicking the image will allow you to see more information.

Anyone considering the Valcarlos route because it's "easier" should take a serious look at the lengths of the purple sections -- 20% grade -- on this chart. The 2nd half of Valcarlos is equivalent to the first part of the Napoleon.

Another consideration is that the best part of Valcarlos is walking the off-road trails after leaving the village. So pretty! But these are basically narrow hiking trails, not wide paths. I was glad I wore hiking boots and wished I'd had poles.

Also, I did not see a single other pilgrim until I reached the chapel-- a solitude I enjoyed, but wouldn't have if I'd slipped and had an injury.

Just food for thought. 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All very wise. I am adjusting my sails with the help of everyone's Aloha and experience. I had planned $50 Euro per day (Def not trying to do a student on a budget option). I will mostly be frugal and I will do mostly albergues as long as social distancing in the dorms has been adopted, but at the other side of life's midway point I'm not going to turn down an occasional reasonably priced private/semi private accommodation with a dedicated restroom 😊!
Thank you for your continued sound advice!
About the walk: It can be a disaster for you if you go out hard. If you do, do not buy a return ticket, as you may return home faster than you planned at home. I have seen pilgrims who had to quit after a day/week bc of overestimating their abilities. Remember, you are travelling from very far, to walk a Camino in Spain, Europe. The CF is a ca. 30 day's wonderful walk through Northern Spain; ancient villages, cities, churches, folklore, history, vineyards, culture, and much, much more (not to mention the people: Try to learn some Spanish: They will love and embrace you for your efforts). Pushing Day 1 is not worth it to risk ruining your next 30+ days of wonder of a lifetime. You won't believe what you are into until you're there.

About the cost: Judging by your very sensible and socialising point, regarding housing in albergues most of the time, 50 Euros/day is more than reasonable. It is also, IMHO, a much more fulfilling experience of a community than sitting alone in a room. I am an old (68) man, liking to sit down for a beer or two during the day, watching life and people passing by, and having some redwine in the evenings, and I am estimating 30-35-40 Euros/day. Enjoy even less pricey evenings on communal meals/cooking with the new friends you have found. Some days I take hostal lodging, just because I can afford it, and just to relax in privacy. Sinking my old bones into a hot bath tub with a cold beer in hand springs to my mind...

Last edited:
Some very good advice given above and I hope this helps with your up coming Camino. While it's been many years since I shleped over this particular route, I remember only too well that my underestimation of the route proved a painful first day that took some time to get over. It wasn't due to a pre existing injury, though it did set us up for compounding foot problems later on.

No, our mistake was the classic misjudgement based on experience. This was back in the day when you had to do research via guide books and maps, long before tapping into other pilgrims knowledge via a helpful web site let alone virtual tours of thee route. As experienced trampers in NZ we took our usual gear and carried far more then we needed (25 kg packs), as in our isolated local routes you need to be prepared for everything, We also underestimated the heights as having claimed many difficult routes and moutains we read the heights on the first day over the Pyrenees as just hills, and given that much it is on farm routes and wide paths rather then the goat tracks we were used to figured it would be a good country stroll to stretch our legs.

Long story short, it wasn't, and we spent that night treating our blistered feet and ditching as much gear as possible before hiking on to Pamploma. We leant our lesson and went on to many more Caminos, and a few more mistakes.

You too will no doubt make mistakes and as long as you are prepared to roll with the changes you'll end up in Santiago with plenty of pilgram stories. But given your condition maybe just lower your sights at the start as starting in Pamplona is not a bad idea as it will mean you get a chance to feel your feet and develop greater confidence rather then risk blowing yourself up and giving up because you over did it on the first day.

Hel

Post Script... I just remembered that I did start with an injury on that first route, as a taxi drove over my foot at the bus station on my way to StJean. I just strapped it up and got on with it, but it later transpired I had broken a number of the small bones on my foot and the swelling over the next few days was the cause of many painful blisters, funny that I have blocked that out of my memory

Does anyone have any recommendations for an albergue or inexpensive hotel not too far out so I can rest mostly the second day?
I concur with Anamiri -- though I'd suggest : rest on day zero. Not sure where you plan to start, SJPP maybe, but ideally get there early ; stay there ; sleep two nights ; then move out as you see fit.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks for your thoughtfulness. I'm going to try, you know I've day dreamed so much about that piece, the vista's, the Griffin vultures, the Madonna. I've had to adjust my thinking though and sternly tell myself it's ok to do things differently or creatively if I need to. Thank you again for your suggestion.

Point we'll made and taken. I have that in my mind already, both from the standpoint of being on the board of our fire department here, but also living in a place where people do exactly what you describe. I do not want to be that person. My first goal is evaluate how I feel in SJPDP, then Orrison if I feel good, and then take stock there and decide how logical it is for me to go further. I would assume I could get a bus to go around if I went back to SJPDP. Thank you for your common sense.
If you want to see that by all means walk the Napoleon. Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims of all shapes, ages and physical condition/fitness levels already have...successfully. I know it sounds daunting, and at times is over dramatically described difficulty wise, but it is not the road less traveled, well marked and mostly improved surfaces and a gradual ascent.
Also, this may all be a moot point because in six weeks the weather on the Napoleon may actually necessitate walking the ValCarlos.

Aloha Jill I completely understand your wanting to begin in St Jean, I am thinking if it’s possible to delay your departure for 1-2 months the weather would be much easier and your foot much more healthy and prepared🌺

Alas, the weather will not always be kind! You may have fog is so thick you can only make out a few feet ahead. Or it is pouring with rain and all you want to do is get to warmth and safety. No vistas, no Griffin vultures, no Madonna visible. With its own kind of magic, but don't have too many expectations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year, I walked the Levante to Zamora to Santiago after knee replacement surgery. I was feeling fit and my surgeon told me I could do whatever I wanted. I don't normally do any training, but I did some last year to try to get stronger. I had many adventures along the way, some of them caused by the challenges of covid. I don't think that I could have got to Santiago if I had not been an experienced mountain walker and done the physiotherapy to get my knee in shape. If your foot is not fully recovered, I would not advise walking the Napoleon route. Parts of it are off-road and the local fire department rescue team now charges a considerable amount to rescue stranded pilgrims. The climb up to Orisson is steep. Pick an easier route or an easier starting point. And take care of your foot. You will need it.

Treadmills are good, but not nearly the test you should try before even considering your plan. Given your location, put your pack on and walk to Hanakāpī‘Ai Beach on the Kalalau Trail - 4 miles round trip with elevation changes. That trail is MUCH easier than the first day’s hike to Orisson from SJPdP.

Given your hike dates, you may face rain, ice, and/or snow - slippery conditions can be very dangerous on a tender foot. Additionally, the walk DOWN from the pass as well as subsequent days (leaving Zubiri!!!) are tough on non-injured ankles.

I say this not to scare you, but to make you realize that your dreams of walking a Camino may get foiled the first day by your dreams of walking the first day (and possibly at great expense if you need rescue and treatment). Why sacrifice the entire goal for just the first day?

On each of my three Caminos, I have met pilgrims who over-exerted themselves and were in tears of sadness and pain, realizing that their dream was ending because they didn’t hike within their ability. I would hate for that to happen to you.

(As for money? 50€ will be plenty if you don’t mind shared accommodations)

I probably missed this but why not wait until your foot is a little better? If you were going to start at the beginning of April why not May?

Also 50€/day is big money on Camino. Many days you can spend less than that if you stay in albergues.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to add to what others have said concerning your foot and the challenge of SJPdP to Roncesvalles; the "start" at St Jean is only a choice of starting point on the trail, the real start is actually when you close your frontdoor. I've walked 4 times now but only started in St Jean the first time. Starts from Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Sarria are all popular due to logistics and how much time people have at hand. Budget - I've bumped into students walking on €10 per day using donativos. A "careful" budget using mainly municipal albergues and cooking own food can be as little as €20, throw in eating out a few times per week and a cheap hotel now and then and you are looking at up to €50. Staying at the best hotels, and eating out at the best places, then the sky's the limit.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.