• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finances

Teodora Adzharova

Time of past OR future Camino
Dear all,
I am planning to walk the French Camino this summer. Could you give me an estimate of how much money I would need for food and hostels? And any other expenses that might come up?
This will be my first time. I am really excited but also scared. And I am trying to be as prepared as possible

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got by very easy on € 30,- a day maximum (usually less), apart from that one day when I went nuts in Leon and treated myself to a night in the Parador...

Hello and welcome to your forum.

It's a bit tricky to answer your question, there are many, many variables.

Generally speaking, if you are staying in non-private albergues then €25-30 per day could see you through without luxuries.

If you are using private accommodation I'd guess at around €40 per day.

Bear in mind that once you reach Galicia the price of everyday items (coffees, snacks, cold drinks etc) is very often about 10% higher than elsewhere on the Camino Frances from StJPDP.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed in private albergue mostly and mostly had very light breakfasts, home made sandwiches for lunch and the pilgrim menu for dinner. We did spend more than this per day more often than less. We averaged spending 35 euros per person per day over two months. On other threads it looked like this was about the same for others in the silver and gold years for about the same level of comfort.

I walked Sept to Nov 2017 and I spent about $40.00 or 35euro a day. This assumes staying in albergue and eating low budget, pilgrim meals, etc. this also does not include flight and travel to Camino starting point. The 35 euro is once you start walking on the Camino.

We stayed in private albergue mostly and mostly had very light breakfasts, home made sandwiches for lunch and the pilgrim menu for dinner. We did spend more than this per day more often than less. We averaged spending 35 euros per person per day over two months. On other threads it looked like this was about the same for others in the silver and gold years for about the same level of comfort.
I am 55 years of age and will also be attempting my first Camino in may may I ask what is the difference with a private "Albergue"?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am 55 years of age and will also be attempting my first Camino in may may I ask what is the difference with a private "Albergue"?
Some albergues are operated by the church, town or province and may provide their services for less money than the privately run albergues. In 2015 I found that the privately run ones cost about 10 euros per bunk. We liked staying in the private albergues because they generally had fewer bunks per room and thus less noise at night and in the morning. Some had private rooms also at extra cost although we did on occasion get a bunk-bedded room (but not bath) to ourselves at no extra cost because the albergue was not full. Peg fell terribly ill one night in a large room and I took a five bed room with a private bath for us the next day. The church run albergues were very nice and I recommend them from the couple we stayed in but Peg really needed her sleep and private is what we shot for. When we went totally private in an albergue or hotel the cost seemed to be around 35 euros (we didn't keep track of costs other than the one for the complete trip.)

Generally private albergues were an invention of the last two holy years, which overwhelmed the church and junta albergues with crowds. While early private albergues may have been house conversions, they are now built to code with things like handicapped bathrooms. They tend to be more modern, and mostly will take reservations. They are profit motivated, so try to please the customer. The old ones are camino motivated and may be more atmospheric and spiritual.

I walked Sept to Nov 2017 and I spent about $40.00 or 35euro a day. This assumes staying in albergue and eating low budget, pilgrim meals, etc. this also does not include flight and travel to Camino starting point. The 35 euro is once you start walking on the Camino.

My experience was the same as Mark's, once we were on the Camino about 35 euros per person a day staying in shared accommodation (usually the top bunk for me, the bottom for my wife and a host of other pilgrims in the room) We typically, fended for our own breakfasts and lunches, eating the communal pilgrim meal at night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some albergues are operated by the church, town or province and may provide their services for less money than the privately run albergues. In 2015 I found that the privately run ones cost about 10 euros per bunk. We liked staying in the private albergues because they generally had fewer bunks per room and thus less noise at night and in the morning. Some had private rooms also at extra cost although we did on occasion get a bunk-bedded room (but not bath) to ourselves at no extra cost because the albergue was not full. Peg fell terribly ill one night in a large room and I took a five bed room with a private bath for us the next day. The church run albergues were very nice and I recommend them from the couple we stayed in but Peg really needed her sleep and private is what we shot for. When we went totally private in an albergue or hotel the cost seemed to be around 35 euros (we didn't keep track of costs other than the one for the complete trip.)
Thanks, Rick your information has been very informative

:)

014.JPG

Municipal alberge .......... 5€
Pilgrim menu (dinner)... 8€
Breakfast ............................. 3€
Coffee, tea or beer ........ 3€
Fruit (lunch) ....................... 2€

Total ................................... 21€

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a safety question about carrying so much cash to cover SJPdP to Santiago. I will be walking alone and curious how others have managed.

I got by very easy on € 30,- a day maximum (usually less), apart from that one day when I went nuts in Leon and treated myself to a night in the Parador...
Got by myself on around €30. Did not stay in the Parador but did treat myself a couple of times to more luxurious than albergue accommodation. I never included them in my expenses though, thats what plastic was invented for :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a safety question about carrying so much cash to cover SJPdP to Santiago. I will be walking alone and curious how others have managed.
Don't carry lots of cash. Carry enough for a few days and top up from the ATMs to be found in all larger towns and villages.

Tincatinker
Thanks for your info... will look out for those atms in more populated places

As stated previously, there are many variables in how much the average (for lack of better term) pilgrim spends per day while walking the Camino (Frances in the case). Just what is an average pilgrim? I have been on this forum for only a short bit of time, but from what I can see, and mind you I'm just guessing, most of the most active members of this forum seem to fall into the same demographics of sorts, and I suppose I am in the same demographic. That demographic appears to be older and less concerned of walking the Camino on a frugal budget, and very likely to spend gobs of money on equipment. I'm not trying to be offensive by saying that, but when one actually walks the Camino, one observes the demographics of pilgrims to be much more diverse than the forum members. A great many I saw (especially younger pilgrims) had very little money to spend daily, and meals for them are often a tin of fish or chicken, some bread and fruit perhaps. They stay in the municipal albergues, and some of those municipals are donativo, and gratis for those that truly cannot afford to stay in them, but I have heard that there are better off pilgrims that stay in them and do not donate. That's bad. I hope none of the forum members have ever done that. I would say to the pilgrims who can afford it, stay in the private albergues if there is a long queue at the municipal. Many of those in the queue can only afford to stay there.
For a pilgrim who has disposable income? 30-40 euros a day.
For a pilgrim on a tight budget? You can do it for 20 euros a day.

As stated previously, there are many variables in how much the average (for lack of better term) pilgrim spends per day while walking the Camino (Frances in the case). Just what is an average pilgrim? I have been on this forum for only a short bit of time, but from what I can see, and mind you I'm just guessing, most of the most active members of this forum seem to fall into the same demographics of sorts, and I suppose I am in the same demographic. That demographic appears to be older and less concerned of walking the Camino on a frugal budget, and very likely to spend gobs of money on equipment. I'm not trying to be offensive by saying that, but when one actually walks the Camino, one observes the demographics of pilgrims to be much more diverse than the forum members. A great many I saw (especially younger pilgrims) had very little money to spend daily, and meals for them are often a tin of fish or chicken, some bread and fruit perhaps. They stay in the municipal albergues, and some of those municipals are donativo, and gratis for those that truly cannot afford to stay in them, but I have heard that there are better off pilgrims that stay in them and do not donate. That's bad. I hope none of the forum members have ever done that. I would say to the pilgrims who can afford it, stay in the private albergues if there is a long queue at the municipal. Many of those in the queue can only afford to stay there.
For a pilgrim who has disposable income? 30-40 euros a day.
For a pilgrim on a tight budget? You can do it for 20 euros a day.
When I walked, 2017, I did see many younger pilgrims that would only stay in municipal alburges and really watched what they spent on food, etc. I would think that from what I observed you could, if you wanted to, walk on a budget of 15 euro a day (once on the Camino and walking, not to include any travel). While I spent an average of 35 euro a day and did not consider myself living “high in the hog”, I guess I was living better than some on the walk. I did stay in private albergue’s and had a beer or two when wanted.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back