• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding a charity?

serg_zone

Hi everyone! I'll be starting my second Camino on July 5th and I'm really looking forward to walking for a charity of some kind. Has anybody from the US done this? How do you find a charity to support?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Serg, I am not from the USA I live in the UK Wales. I am starting my camino on the 26th April. I am raising money for the Juvenile diabetes research foundation, the nystagmus network and children in need. These conditions are very close to my heart cos they have affected my family greatly.Anyway if u can't find any charities that u want to raise money for pls do it for one or all of the above Best rgds....Franco

Hi everyone! I'll be starting my second Camino on July 5th and I'm really looking forward to walking for a charity of some kind. Has anybody from the US done this? How do you find a charity to support?
I'll be raising awareness for walk in love, a small not for profit organisation, founded in the USA based in Tanzania. Its aim is to enable families to stay together and, amongst other things, it provides day care for local women enabling them to leave their children in a safe environment whilst they work. There are many small organisations which need help, choose an area of interest and search the Internet. If anyone is around from the middle of September I'm the one with a big footprint on my t shirt!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Franco and @dollytz thank you both for your responses! How did you guys contact your charities? Do you just flat out tell them when you're going to be walking and how long? How do you raise money? Do you use something like GoFundMe?

Thank you!!

Hi Serg I am using virginmoneygiving as my fundraising site. The charities I chose are listed on their Web page. Also I am in close contact with the jdrf and nystagmus charities and they are very supportive of my efforts. If u go to virginmoneygiving and type in Franco Ciavatta u can see how mine is set up and how it works.Also be aware that some of the fundraising sites ie justgiving charge a percentage of all donations. This for me us unacceptable. That's why I use virginmoneygiving cos they don't charge .Rgds..Franc

Have a look at the thread "Walking for a good cause" in the Resources section here

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Serg I am walking for MIND mental illness charity . Walk for a charity that means something to you. You will be surprised how many charities yourself family and friends have a connection to in someway or other.

@Franco and @dollytz thank you both for your responses! How did you guys contact your charities? Do you just flat out tell them when you're going to be walking and how long? How do you raise money? Do you use something like GoFundMe?

Thank you!!
I have been working with walk in love as a volunteer for the past 2.5 years. It was founded by an American friend who I met on another volunteer project.I am not fundraising as such just telling folk what walk in love is about, giving contact details for those who ask. My luxury item in my backpack is a few cards with the details on. Any charity will be glad of some extra funds, as artistinclay says, ask friends and family.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you all so very much! I've never done any charity work and this seems a little alien to me but i have a better understanding about how this works thanks to your responses!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back