• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding accommodation every day?

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Hi folks -- I'm starting my walk in 3 months and just today have had a bit of a worry pit in my stomach about finding accommodation every day. I don't own an iPhone (and don't plan to ever buy one!) so can't download the Camino App. Something about having everything at my fingertips seems a bit counter intuitive to what I want to experience on The Way anyhow. . . . but I AM wondering how does one actually DO it? Find a place to sleep that is. . . Do you just walk into town and wander around until you bump into something? Follow the stream of pilgrims like so many ants until they stop at a hostel door? Ask the previous nights' host to call ahead to somewhere for you and then hope you make it to that destination? Maybe the answer is "all of the above". I have my Brierley's guide so I imagine I'll be fine. . . but just wondering about the experience of others.
TIA to all :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there - it really is very simple. You walk, then you get somewhere with a sign pointing to an albergue and you decide if you want or need to stop. If you don't, move on - maybe check the guidebook to see how far to the next place - and if you feel that you do, go in and ask for a bed. Sometimes you hear about a particular albergue you don't want to miss and then you go there. Sometimes you just want to find a hotel, lock a door behind you and sleep for 16 hours straight, and then you do that. Sometimes the albergue will be completo - full - and there might be another one in the same village or town, then you go there. On the stretch between Ponferrada to Santiago in July lots of places will be available. No need to worry, try to look forward to the freedom of choice instead, the freedom to follow your gut instinct, listening to your body, stopping when you want or moving on even if everyone else stops. You'll love it!

Hi there - it really is very simple. You walk, then you get somewhere with a sign pointing to an albergue and you decide if you want or need to stop. If you don't, move on - maybe check the guidebook to see how far to the next place - and if you feel that you do, go in and ask for a bed. Sometimes you hear about a particular albergue you don't want to miss and then you go there. Sometimes you just want to find a hotel, lock a door behind you and sleep for 16 hours straight, and then you do that. Sometimes the albergue will be completo - full - and there might be another one in the same village or town, then you go there. On the stretch between Ponferrada to Santiago in July lots of places will be available. No need to worry, try to look forward to the freedom of choice instead, the freedom to follow your gut instinct, listening to your body, stopping when you want or moving on even if everyone else stops. You'll love it!
A most perfect response! Thank you :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband I have walked the camino with the Brierley Guide and no phone. We look at the book each evening and plot out where we may end up the next night..depending on how we feel, physically and emotionally.

Isn't being nervous also a bit counter intuitive to what you want to experience? :)

Plan. Read internet sites on albergues. http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances Then the Brierleys will serve you just fine. Stopping in the guidebook destinations (Brierley is pretty standard) can make finding a bed a bit more difficult. If you are in a pilgrim bubble of many pilgrims, go ahead, or drop behind. If finding a bed becomes a problem, have someone call ahead for a reservation. It really is not problem. The biggest problem will be ruining your pilgrimage worrying about it, so find the things that you can control that will remove the worry. Buen camino.

A smart phone is NOT a necessary part of anyone's equipment.
The many threads discussing using phones for various tasks have made it appear that a phone is a key component. It is not.
I do take a smart phone but could do very nicely without it.
In 2009 thru 2012 you saw few smart phones in use.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You don't need any apps on a phone. The guidebook you have will work perfectly.
Once you start walking the Camino you will see how easy it is to find accommodations in every town that has them. You will see. Don't sweat it.

I walked with people who used a guide as if it was a defining document. Some of the best places were not even mentioned in the guide. The albergue Leo in Villafranca was found because the lady who ran it offered them a tour. It was splendid.

When you arrive somewhere relax and have a drink or a wander. Ask people who have already arrived where they are staying and what it's like. Sometimes nice people make a so so place a nice place and vice versa.

Even the cheapest of hotels can provide a welcome break from communal living. So don't be afraid to withdraw a little and have some peace and quiet.

Trust in God and all will be well. I doubt you'll ever be left out in the street.

Isn't being nervous also a bit counter intuitive to what you want to experience? :)

Plan. Read internet sites on albergues. http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances Then the Brierleys will serve you just fine. Stopping in the guidebook destinations (Brierley is pretty standard) can make finding a bed a bit more difficult. If you are in a pilgrim bubble of many pilgrims, go ahead, or drop behind. If finding a bed becomes a problem, have someone call ahead for a reservation. It really is not problem. The biggest problem will be ruining your pilgrimage worrying about it, so find the things that you can control that will remove the worry. Buen camino.
Yes. This is exactly my reason for doing this walk. . . to work on letting go of the worry about stuff I cannot control. Your response is an excellent reminder - thanks. And thank you for the link - it looks really useful except that it's in Spanish and I don't see any link to switch it to English. Do you have any ideas for links in English? I'll look more carefully on the Camino site -- there must be something similar there. Oh how I wish I were starting the walk TODAY!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi folks -- I'm starting my walk in 3 months and just today have had a bit of a worry pit in my stomach about finding accommodation every day. I don't own an iPhone (and don't plan to ever buy one!) so can't download the Camino App. Something about having everything at my fingertips seems a bit counter intuitive to what I want to experience on The Way anyhow. . . . but I AM wondering how does one actually DO it? Find a place to sleep that is. . . Do you just walk into town and wander around until you bump into something? Follow the stream of pilgrims like so many ants until they stop at a hostel door? Ask the previous nights' host to call ahead to somewhere for you and then hope you make it to that destination? Maybe the answer is "all of the above". I have my Brierley's guide so I imagine I'll be fine. . . but just wondering about the experience of others.
TIA to all :)
I did the camino in September 2014 and it was VERY VERY crowded. Early on walkers were fretting about places to stay. Walkers handled this in various ways: asking the hospitalero to call ahead to an albergue for a bed for the next night (which worked for us), booking your whole camino in advance or just 'winging it". One lady I walked with just chose the first albergue in the town where she wanted to stay. She was very lucky and only had to keep looking for a bed a few times. I was walking with my cousin so we were a 'twosome'. Booking the night ahead worked well for us. Buen camino

The best made plans tend to go south with the first step. The Camino will provide. You have your guide and you will meet people who will help if asked. Enjoy your camino. Don't worry be happy

Happy Trails

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.