• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding Accommodation on Camino Portuguese Coastal Route

NAMgirls

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Hi. My 2 daughters and I are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese Coastal route starting in Porto end of June/July 2023. We haven’t made any reservations of places to stay overnight and wondered if there will be availability or should we make bookings ahead. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi. 2 daughters and I are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese Coastal route starting in Porto end of June/July 2023. We haven’t made any reservations of places to stay overnight and wondered if there will be availability or should we make bookings ahead. Thanks!
I'm also wondering the same thing, guess it's difficult to answer exactly, it's a bit like knowing the exact weather a month ahead.. No guarantees.. But I'd like to know about experiences too :)

The Coastal villages are popular tourist destinations, I have encountered large crowds the closer it gets to August during the peak of holiday season. There are many villages that stage festivals in June and July to attract more visitors. Many of those tourist are not interested in sleeping in an albergue-type situation but some are budget travelers and will if it doesn't require a pilgrims passport. If I was looking for a place with 3 beds each night, I would be doing some advance booking in the smaller towns on your itinerary. The larger towns, like Baiona, Viana do Castelo, Fao, etc. will depend on whether it is a week day or weekend booking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi. My 2 daughters and I are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese Coastal route starting in Porto end of June/July 2023. We haven’t made any reservations of places to stay overnight and wondered if there will be availability or should we make bookings ahead. Thanks
I'm on the coastal route now. Big crowd in Porto, but then people spread out, taking different route or different pace. Good idea to book ahead for big cities like Porto, Castelo and Vigo. I never had problem getting a bed in smaller towns/villages. Hope it helps. Buen camino.

As there are three of you, I’d reserve in advance. We walked the Coastal Route just last spring, early as far as the tourist season goes, but found places where it paid to have a room reserved. It may partially depend on the type of accommodations that you’re looking for, but we were very successful using Booking.com or by contacting the establishment directly by email. As your Camino is not far off, now would be the time to book. Let me share with you a few places that we stayed which we enjoyed very much.

Porto - Passenger Hostel
Povoa Varzim- Junqueriea 76
Esposende - Esposende Guesthouse
Viana do Costelo - Hotel Jardim
Caminha - Albergue Bom Caminho
Oia - La Cala
A Ramallosa - Pazo Pias
Vigo - Hotel Compostela Vigo
Redondela - Albergue A Casa da Herba
Pontevedra - Slow City Hostel
Armenteira - Monastery Armenteira
Vilanova de Arousa - Albergue A Salazon
Santiago - Hotel Rua Vilar

As you’ll see from my list, we also included the Variante Espiritual on our Camino which I would highly recommend if you have the time. Bom Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm hiking solo, allowing 14 hiking stages late Sept / October. I booked private rooms every night and made the reservations back in November, mostly through Booking.com. Bob

Just book 24hrs ahead to be sure of your accommodation. Worked for us as a group of 3 and group of 4 on Porto x 2 and Santiago to Finistere to Muxia

Did it last year, pre-booked the whole trip. Is really about peace of mind for me.
I just need to worry about getting from A to B. Others say it put pressure to get to B.

If you not mind to walk a bit further and have no need for that mental peace, you can do it without pre-booking.

The Camino provides, on Easter in Pamplona some Irish were offered a bed in a homeless shelter 😳 as far as I know they declined politely, and went 10km back from where they came to find a place 😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm hiking solo, allowing 14 hiking stages late Sept / October. I booked private rooms every night and made the reservations back in November, mostly through Booking.com. Bob
Hello,
My father and I are planning on hiking the costal route in sept/oct 2025. We would like to ask you more about your individual accommodations from Porto to Santiago.and any difficulties in booking them or recommendations. Our email address is (email address removed by moderator. Please use private messaging to get in touch with other forum members)
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.