• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding Esbit solid fuel tablets in Porto?

elmarto

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2011
I'm planning to walk a bit in February and thought of bringing an Esbit stove with me to brew some hot tea or cup noodles on the road. The problem is, I have trouble tracking down a place to buy the fuel for it. Bringing it on the plane is not allowed and I don't plan to fool around with security.

Decathlon has gas cartridges available, but apparently no Esbit. I'm pretty sure some hiking or mountaineering shops should have it, but the language and internet barrier has managed to thwart me so far.

Does anybody know a place that might?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m unable to assist with sources for your fuel needs but that may not really be a problem. I walk quite a bit every day of the year and very rarely carry a stove or fuel.
Where are you planning to walk? Most of the Camino routes are more than adequately resourced, some aren’t.

Well you can’t take it on a ‘plane; but you can post it. Perhaps post a couple of packs to wherever you’re staying for the first night?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would try army surplus stores. Google lists a couple of those in the Porto area. This one sells ethanol gel blocks which would make a fair substitute for the Esbit hexamine tablets.

Or you could consider taking a lightweight "soda can" alcohol stove and buy methylated spirits which is widely available and cheap.

I would try army surplus stores. Google lists a couple of those in the Porto area. This one sells ethanol gel blocks which would make a fair substitute for the Esbit hexamine tablets.

Or you could consider taking a lightweight "soda can" alcohol stove and buy methylated spirits which is widely available and cheap.

Good idea, search brings up Esbit as well!

And, no I don't exactly need to carry a stove, but I'd like to. Consider it my "luxury" item.

I'm familiar with alcohol and gas stoves as well, but after some mental math this is the option I'm considering. I'd rather not elaborate too much (unless someone really wants to know). YouTube is full of people boiling water and comparing stove options :)

Order and have delivered to your first albergue if possible. Check with the albergue first to be sure they will hold it for you. But I would assume that is the easiest option since even in the US it is often hard to find the specific fuel you will need while traveling - since not all stores carry all types of fuels.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm planning to walk a bit in February and thought of bringing an Esbit stove with me to brew some hot tea or cup noodles on the road. The problem is, I have trouble tracking down a place to buy the fuel for it. Bringing it on the plane is not allowed and I don't plan to fool around with security.

Decathlon has gas cartridges available, but apparently no Esbit. I'm pretty sure some hiking or mountaineering shops should have it, but the language and internet barrier has managed to thwart me so far.

Thanks!
I think gas would be more easily available than hexamine, which, as far as I'm aware, has been largely replaced by gas in bushwalking circles. So unless you have a really strong attachment to your hexamine stove a gas one may be the way to go. Having used both hexamine and gas stoves, I much prefer gas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about bringing an electric heating coil instead?
A lot safer, and probably lighter too.

I second this ☝🏻

Depends on which Camino you’re planning to do. I ended up using it quite a few times on the Primitivo when there was no breakfast and no supermarket was open the day before etc. And first cafe would be after walking 10k… If all you need is just boiling water…

I used mine to brew coffee and make Korean pot noodle, sometimes I had boiled egg from the day before and it was luxury! In fact I went to bed the night before and looking forward to having my coffee/pot noodle combo.

I appreciate all your advice and concern, I'll explain my reasoning a bit.
I have carefully considered options, hence the rather specific question.

Basically the for cooking options are:

1) No extra equipment. Rely on cafes, albergues, etc. No extra weight. Probably perfectly ok. This is the "Default setting".

2) A plastic cup with a lid that can be used in a microwave or with available hot water. Is it really necessary? Will double as a cup for shaving, brushing teeth, etc. Can put stuff in it, so the space isn't wasted.

3) Immersion heater (+ a cup). I haven't found a decent electric coil where I'm at. The ones I have found are either very big and heavy or look very rinkydink and, honestly, dangerous.

I haven't used a coil for decades, but I have a vague memory that they require caution and that a ceramic cup is probably the best option, since it doesn't melt like plastic or conduct electricity like metal. Ceramic is heavy and I don't probably want to carry it. Enameled metal? Will have to dig deeper.

4) Metal cup + a little stove. Metal can't be used in a microware but can double as a small pot.
I'm probably not going to use the stove a lot (if at all), but it might be nice to make something hot on a beach or similar on a nippy day. I do it regularly on walks at home. No-one has died, zero fires started. I don't use it indoors or near a fire hazard. Pretty much don't use it around the people anyway.

Options :
- Alcohol. DIY or ti stoves are small and light, fuel is easily found, but it's probably the biggest fire hazard of these and I wouldn't use it much, hence I don't really want to carry spirits. I've built and used alco stoves extensively when hiking and although relatively safe when handled properly, it's relatively easy to knock the thing over and that's when it's no longer fun and games.

- Gas. The stove isn't too heavy (mine is about 75g), cannisters are easy to find (Decathlon) and cheap at 4€ but sort of heavy at >200g. The 400ml decathlon steel cup (120g) is perfect size for the tiny gas cannister, should anybody care. (It's a tight fit when turned upside down. Don't push it in all the way, put the stove in bottom of the cup to make it stop.) The weight adds up though.

- You guessed it, Esbit. I have the tiny 14g titanium folding gadget (calling it a stove feels a bit much), so carrying it is pretty much "free". Add a foil wind screen and a light mug and done. Fuel is inert (actually a bit hard to light.) A packet of tablets weighs in at around 80g and costs 4-6€. This should be anough for up to 10 cups and gets lighter when used up. Since fuel can be found, it seems like the best option, should I decide to carry.

Tincatinker:

YouTube is full of people
Yup, how does that justify taking an unnecessary fire starter unless it’s going to significantly adjust your survival opportunities

It's not a justification for carrying anything. I was hoping to skip typing out all of the above by suggesting that if anyone wants to see a middle aged guy rambling on and on about stoves, there's plenty of high quality content available on the forementioned platform. Also survival is, hopefully, not a question. The best outcome here is probably a hot cup of tea and some noodles on a nippy day on a random beach somewhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I appreciate you are walking in winter, so perhaps the usual places might not be open, but Porto to Santiago is basically a trawl from village to village. I'd not bother taking anything except perhaps a thermos.

1) No extra equipment. Rely on cafes, albergues, etc. No extra weight. Probably perfectly ok. This is the "Default setting".

2) A plastic cup with a lid that can be used in a microwave or with available hot water. Is it really necessary? Will double as a cup for shaving, brushing teeth, etc. Can put stuff in it, so the space isn't wasted.

3) Immersion heater (+ a cup). I haven't found a decent electric coil where I'm at. The ones I have found are either very big and heavy or look very rinkydink and, honestly, dangerous.

I haven't used a coil for decades, but I have a vague memory that they require caution and that a ceramic cup is probably the best option, since it doesn't melt like plastic or conduct electricity like metal. Ceramic is heavy and I don't probably want to carry it. Enameled metal? Will have to dig deeper.

4) Metal cup + a little stove. Metal can't be used in a microware but can double as a small pot.
I'm probably not going to use the stove a lot (if at all), but it might be nice to make something hot on a beach or similar on a nippy day. I do it regularly on walks at home. No-one has died, zero fires started. I don't use it indoors or near a fire hazard. Pretty much don't use it around the people anyway.

Options :
- Alcohol. DIY or ti stoves are small and light, fuel is easily found, but it's probably the biggest fire hazard of these and I wouldn't use it much, hence I don't really want to carry spirits. I've built and used alco stoves extensively when hiking and although relatively safe when handled properly, it's relatively easy to knock the thing over and that's when it's no longer fun and games.

- Gas. The stove isn't too heavy (mine is about 75g), cannisters are easy to find (Decathlon) and cheap at 4€ but sort of heavy at >200g. The 400ml decathlon steel cup (120g) is perfect size for the tiny gas cannister, should anybody care. (It's a tight fit when turned upside down. Don't push it in all the way, put the stove in bottom of the cup to make it stop.) The weight adds up though.

- You guessed it, Esbit. I have the tiny 14g titanium folding gadget (calling it a stove feels a bit much), so carrying it is pretty much "free". Add a foil wind screen and a light mug and done. Fuel is inert (actually a bit hard to light.) A packet of tablets weighs in at around 80g and costs 4-6€. This should be anough for up to 10 cups and gets lighter when used up. Since fuel can be found, it seems like the best option, should I decide to carry.

It's not a justification for carrying anything. I was hoping to skip typing out all of the above by suggesting that if anyone wants to see a middle aged guy rambling on and on about stoves, there's plenty of high quality content available on the forementioned platform. Also survival is, hopefully, not a question. The best outcome here is probably a hot cup of tea and some noodles on a nippy day on a random beach somewhere.
I've always been a fan of William of Ockham's principle: what ever is the simplest solution to a problem is usually the best. What would be the simplest solution? I'd go for that.

I've always been a fan of William of Ockham's principle: what ever is the simplest solution to a problem is usually the best. What would be the simplest solution? I'd go for that.
It sounds good, but if you really think about it, the easiest solution might be to sit on my ass and watch telly instead of heading out in February.

I don't know if anybody chooses to walk because it's the easy option. Perhaps to take a timeout, if overwhelmed by life and such, but that's beside the point. We do things every day, not because they are simple, but because they are worth doing.

Now that I've played the devils advocate, I also subscribe to the simplicity principle. Question rising here is, what is the exact problem we're trying to solve? I asked a simple question of where to locate a certain resource, and that has been answered succinctly. The discussion has taken a somewhat different path: is it necessary or sensible to even use that resource and what are the alternatives? I think we all agree, that it's not a question of life and death. I would compare it to carrying a pocket knife, which an also be viewed as a somewhat risky object that people probably can manage without.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most places that have microwave ovens will also have mugs and bowls that can be used in them. You don't need to carry dishware.
I agree with @dick bird - the simplest solution is usually the best.
The exception to this that I found was the couple of Junta albergues, where there was no kitchen equipment.

I carry a collapsible silicon cup in which I was able to boil water in a microwave when there was only a microwave, along with the myriad other things I used it for.

I walked from Porto in January in 2019. I didn't bother with an alcohol stove which I often carry, nor did I take a flask (which I took on camino frances in winter and did find it useful there!) because there seemed enough bars along the way.
However, I generally find it much easier sourcing some sort of alcohol fuel than gas cartridges or esbits in Europe, but then again I was never a fan of esbits for fuel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I appreciate you are walking in winter, so perhaps the usual places might not be open, but Porto to Santiago is basically a trawl from village to village. I'd not bother taking anything except perhaps a thermos.
Ditto on the thermos. A good quality thermos can be filled with hot water before bed and provide you with steaming hot water in the morning. My Snow Peak is best for that. However, never tried it with ramen though -- the water would be hot but not boiling hot.

The exception to this that I found was the couple of Junta albergues, where there was no kitchen equipment.

I carry a collapsible silicon cup in which I was able to boil water in a microwave when there was only a microwave, along with the myriad other things I used it for.
I found quite a few albergues that maybe the kitchen was open - but there were no supplies/equipment in the kitchen. I stuck to food/beverages that I didn't have to cook/heat. If I wanted "hot" food or beverages, I went to a bar or restaurant.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Options :

Nothing like a roadside brew on a cold day.

BCB FireDragon tablets cited by @Bradypus above are much more effective and less smelly/toxic than original Esbit tablets. Likewise the FireDragon stove itself is similar but better - it has a little wind shield on one side.

An alternative, and quickly put together, is a steel pan scrubber or a coil of fire door rope (used to seal wood burning stove doors) in a small metal container that has a lid (like Vaseline lip balm). Set up the Esbit stove, pour some alcohol (obtainable in most supermarkets in the cleaning material section) into the container and there you go! If you can take a litre of vodka on a plane I'm sure you can carry 100ml of alcohol!

1667643648117.png 1667643962781.png1667644585414.png

Sadly not if it is over 70% abv. That's a fairly standard baggage restriction internationally. And that's not really high enough for stove use. Would work wonderfully for flaming a Christmas pudding though! :)
The stuff I'm thinking of ought never to be allowed inside a human being! . . . mind you that applies to some of the cheaper eastern European vodkas too!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carry a collapsible silicon cup
Good catch! Silicone should be heat-proof enought to work well with an immersion heater as well and does not conduct electricity.. Not good for stove use, but it's an option. Win some, lose some.

Ditto on the thermos.

I really should have listed it in the options above, but was discouraged by the relative weight. There is an interesting edge case of combining a wide-mouth food thermos with an immersion heater (or another source of hot water) that enables some rudimentary cooking like rice, porridge, noodles, boiled eggs. Pretty much anything that involves hot water and time. It can double as a bowl/cup.

There is another option called "cold soaking" that does not require a heat source, but this is mostly through-hiker territory and I'd rather eat a warm meal at a pub than some cold sludge.

When I walked the Northern route as an unexperienced first-time pilgrim, I didn't do much homework and just went for it. This led to a few occasions where I was hungry as hell, but the patrón at the pub was having a siesta, so I had to either wait for a long time or skip a meal. This was a result of not carrying any food, running out of snacks, being unable to locate a shop, being unprepared for shops closing on sundays or for sieastas, not knowing national holidays beforehand, etc. I have learned plenty of lessons the hard way. Not a question of life and death, but unwelcome discomfort nonetheless.

There was an occasion when I had some crackers and a can of tuna, but had absent-mindedly picked a can that didn't have a pull-opener and I had no tin-opener or knife. Luckily a friendly frenchman passed who let me abuse his Opinel so I could enjoy my lunch.

BCB FireDragon tablets cited by @Bradypus above are much more effective and less smelly/toxic than original Esbit tablets. Likewise the FireDragon stove itself is similar but better - it has a little wind shield on one side.

I know the stove you speak of, the windshield is a nice development on the classic Esbit (and can be retrofitted.) I was thinking of packing that gadget though, due to it's miniscule size and nonexistant weight. It will require a windshade, either improvised or cut from a soda can. I think FireDragon gel might work in it, if it doesn't ooze too much. I will try it out at some point out of general interest.

Good catch! Silicone should be heat-proof enought to work well with an immersion heater as well and does not conduct electricity.. Not good for stove use, but it's an option. Win some, lose some.

I really should have listed it in the options above, but was discouraged by the relative weight. There is an interesting edge case of combining a wide-mouth food thermos with an immersion heater (or another source of hot water) that enables some rudimentary cooking like rice, porridge, noodles, boiled eggs. Pretty much anything that involves hot water and time. It can double as a bowl/cup.

There is another option called "cold soaking" that does not require a heat source, but this is mostly through-hiker territory and I'd rather eat a warm meal at a pub than some cold sludge.

When I walked the Northern route as an unexperienced first-time pilgrim, I didn't do much homework and just went for it. This led to a few occasions where I was hungry as hell, but the patrón at the pub was having a siesta, so I had to either wait for a long time or skip a meal. This was a result of not carrying any food, running out of snacks, being unable to locate a shop, being unprepared for shops closing on sundays or for sieastas, not knowing national holidays beforehand, etc. I have learned plenty of lessons the hard way. Not a question of life and death, but unwelcome discomfort nonetheless.

There was an occasion when I had some crackers and a can of tuna, but had absent-mindedly picked a can that didn't have a pull-opener and I had no tin-opener or knife. Luckily a friendly frenchman passed who let me abuse his Opinel so I could enjoy my lunch.

I know the stove you speak of, the windshield is a nice development on the classic Esbit (and can be retrofitted.) I was thinking of packing that gadget though, due to it's miniscule size and nonexistant weight. It will require a windshade, either improvised or cut from a soda can. I think FireDragon gel might work in it, if it doesn't ooze too much. I will try it out at some point out of general interest.
A bit too minimalist for my liking! You'll end up with an aluminium foil cup and three pebbles to hold your mug if you're not careful! :)

I used to know somebody who kept a P38 can opener taped to the zip pull of his jacket which I thought was a bit Rambo/survivalist until he asked "ever been really hungry and had the ring pull snap off of the can?"

1667647541159.png

@Jeff Crawley Ever seen the extended version of the P38 can opener which ends in a dinky little spoon? I used to have one but lost it years ago. @dougfitz kindly identified it as standard issue for Aussie military at one time and known officially as the FRED - Field Ration Eating Device. He also explained that for fairly obvious reasons it was more colloquially known as the F****** Ridiculous Eating Device :cool:

A bit too minimalist for my liking! You'll end up with an aluminium foil cup and three pebbles to hold your mug if you're not careful! :)
Yeah, no. Not going there :) Chinese titanium is too cheap to mess around with beer can pots and such.
Even Decathlon has a Ti mug for 20€. Availability is spotty though..

I used to know somebody who kept a P38 can opener taped to the zip pull of his jacket which I thought was a bit Rambo/survivalist until he asked "ever been really hungry and had the ring pull snap off of the can?"

I bough a P38 after the tuna can incident, but seem to have misplaced it over the years. I'll have to see if I can track down another one.

Last edited:
Unless you are planning to brew your coffee/tea/noodles on the go/outdoors, I still think the coil is still a very good option. Yes it’s rudimentary and you have to watch it and unplug it as soon as the water boils. I’ve used it on 3 caminos and the camping trips to get to and from Spain and the coil survives.

Here’s from another thread about Tea… with weight and choices/material for containing the water.

Post in thread 'Tea on the go'
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/tea-on-the-go.74398/post-1027008

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah, no. Not going there :) Chinese titanium is too cheap to mess around with beer can pots and such.
Even Decathlon has a Ti mug for 20€. Availability is spotty though..

I bough a P38 after the tuna can incident, but seem to have misplaced it over the years. I'll have to see if I can track down another one.
I always thought a P38 was a pistol! One way of opening cans eh? :)
Samarkand

I'm starting to "warm up" to the idea. Pun intended. Silicone cup angle gives it a whole new life.
I also brought a collapsible silicone cup! But it’s more for drinking wine, it’s like an unbreakable wine glass, minus the stem 🤪. But I think my collapsible cup is a bit too small for the coil, plus I already have my smartcafe cafetière, it has a lid, so I put teabags and bag of coffee inside.

That or the fighter aircraft would, I suspect, come to most peoples minds. But the can opener might be equally famous for those of us of a certain age.
Or even the second generation Range Rovers beloved by drug barons in Hollywood movies:

1667685275938.png

Thanks!
My Camino will include solitary times of a hot cup of coffee along the path. I've found at least one place that carries Esbit stoves in Spain... https://www.paratum.es/es/111-Esbit

which gives me hope that I can find some in Madrid, before I head off. I'll happily buy my share of coffee from places along the way. But sometimes, you happen across these places that are just perfect for pausing, heat a cup of coffee and sit and enjoy.

What a shame t'would be to find that perfect place that so invites you to stop and you could not because you chose to confine yourself to doing what everyone else does...

I applaud your desire to plan your Camino according to your desires.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.