• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding it hard to Commit

TheWay1

Time of past OR future Camino
August "2018"
Hello

I'm travelling the Camino this August and have booked my flight to Biaritz, and my first night accomodation in SJPDP.

However

I'm dawdling over what next - and with so much research in the last few days, and very little walking, I'm begining to doubt myself and my grand plan.

I'm considering now changing my starting point to Pamplona, and walking for 4 days from there. I've no agenda, other than to be on my Camino. And so, I think t his is an easier option for me. And sometimes easier is better.

And so with an outgoing flight from Bilbao, I wonder if I walked to Logrono (for example) over the 4 days, would I be able to get back to Bilbao? I'm searching on the internet but struggling to find consistent answers on pages. Ideally I would take a bus back up to Bilbao - I just don't know if this is possible.

Please, if you have any experience, could you help me out with some good advice.

Many thanks.
a

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I trust that some other people will be able to give you some more practical advice, but here is my bit to reduce the emotional anxiety that is not uncommon before starting the Camino.
1. Trust that once you start, you ll feel a lot better than now. Those prejitters are absolutely normal.
2. Commitment is important. Once you commit, unseen forces will work towards you and help you on the way.
2. Intention is important also. Listen to your heart instead of your fears. What is it that calls you to the Camino ?Follow your passion, and then, even if things may be challenging at times, you'll keep up the good spirit.
3. You may have to find a way to quieten your mind a little, so you can hear the answers you need.
Wishing you a buen Camino!

This seems a bit like you have starting camino jitters. Something that happens to probably 90% of us (although we might not admit to that). If you really want the challenge of climbing the mountains and entering Spain, then Saint Jean is the best starting place for you. And before it became all too real, you booked yourself a place in Saint Jean. So there was a point that you thought that was the way to do it. How many days do you have and what are your goals for walking the Camino? That might help you make the best decision. Bilbao is a big city and probably easy to reach from wherever you are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The info you're providing is a little thin so there are more questions than answers here. As a start, a good place to look for busses/trains is on the trainline website at https://www.trainline.eu/. As mentioned above, between taxi, bus, train and plane you can get pretty much anywhere in Spain within a day or so.

I found the stretch between St Jean and Pamplona to be uniquely different from the rest of the Camino Frances but so are other stretches unique in their own way. However, you are probably going to find a trillion people walking this bit in August. The crowd generally seems to thin out after Pamplona. My best suggestion would be to just forget about all that stuff, not to worry so much because there are many others around doing the same thing, walk where you want to walk and enjoy it.

Just my opinion of course, but I love starting in SJPSP, starting in Pamploma would mean missing out on so much.
Walking over the Pyrenees is a great start to a Camino. I dont have the right words for it, somehow, crossing over the mountain is a very fitting start to a Camino - maybe 'dramatic' is one of the words.

Not only are you crossing a boundary from one country to another, but it also one in your mind when you realise that you CAN do it.

It truly sets you up for the rest of the Way.

Thank you. I’m going to take some time to think it through. I’ve 5 days to do as much or as little as is right for me. My intention is to come back next year to do another bit...

My reason for walking is so that I can take time to walk and reflect and in so doing meditate. A break from noise and demands. A space to be me.

Thanks again
a

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally I find it take more then a week for the rush of thought in my head to clear and the Camino to take over with its rythmn of steps, foot care, shower and sleep. But each to their own. The Pyreneese are a fantastic start to a Camino, but it you only have short breaks and are planning on doing it in stages then starting in a city that is easy to get to and striking out as far as you can get isn't a bad plan.

Worry less, do more.

Hello

I'm travelling the Camino this August and have booked my flight to Biaritz, and my first night accomodation in SJPDP.

However

I'm dawdling over what next - and with so much research in the last few days, and very little walking, I'm begining to doubt myself and my grand plan.

I'm considering now changing my starting point to Pamplona, and walking for 4 days from there. I've no agenda, other than to be on my Camino. And so, I think t his is an easier option for me. And sometimes easier is better.

And so with an outgoing flight from Bilbao, I wonder if I walked to Logrono (for example) over the 4 days, would I be able to get back to Bilbao? I'm searching on the internet but struggling to find consistent answers on pages. Ideally I would take a bus back up to Bilbao - I just don't know if this is possible.

Please, if you have any experience, could you help me out with some good advice.

Many thanks.
a
Hi
I hope you stick with your original plan to start from SJPdP. Either way, it will all fall in place once you get there and start walking and chatting with others.
There is a handy site to find out ‘how to get to and from places ‘ called. Rome2rio

If you do decide to finish at Logrono, according to rome2rio the bus connection to Bilbao seems the shortest choice .
I’m attaching a screen shot of my search.
Buen Camino and try not to worry.
Annie

Attachments

• 90B721D4-CFAC-451C-AAFE-463DB0145D61.png
    90B721D4-CFAC-451C-AAFE-463DB0145D61.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

I was really anxious about walking the Camino. I had two weeks on it and it has proved to be the most fantastic experience. Enjoy your time and don’t be stressed. It is hard work, but it’s worth every minute.

Walking SJPP to Roncesvalles was the scariest and hardest, yet most physically exhilarating and empowering thing I think I have ever done! I wish you the same experience, wherever the Camino takes you!! ☺️

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walking SJPP to Roncesvalles was the scariest and hardest, yet most physically exhilarating and empowering thing I think I have ever done! I wish you the same experience, wherever the Camino takes you!! ☺️
Yes those are some of the words... by the end of that day, I was elated

My husband and I did our first Camino and we flew into Bilbao. Then we took a bus to Pamplona and started walking. I walked with him for 4 days and we got as far as Estrella. Then I took a bus back to Bilbao to fly home and he continued to Santiago. We didn't arrange it ahead of time because we didn't know quite how far we would get. But it was easy to catch the bus, we just asked at each town. You should be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I finally commit to going only when I rather fearfully push the ENTER/SEND button on my computer to complete the purchase of my airfare. Then I know there is no turning back!
Yes! My exact process whenever I travel alone. The fear continues to try to rear its head, but I know I now have little choice but to push through. Oh, that feeling!!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back