• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding medical help in leon

Priscilla NC

Time of past OR future Camino
2016: Frances - Finisterre - Muxia 2019: Frances
I’m taking a rest in Leon. I’m having a hip issue, it’s been going on for a few days. When I get going, I can walk fine, pain free. But when I stop I can’t put any weight on my right leg. In albergues etc i cant walk without assistance (my poles).

So I need to get it looked at. Any suggestions where to go?? Many thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m thinking a doctor. I have been doing some exercises to no avail, though I’ve never had this particular issue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m thinking a doctor. I have been doing some exercises to no avail, though I’ve never had this particular issue.

Then maybe start with the nearest Centro de Salud? (Medical Centre)
Have you reached your accommodation?
I'm sure they can direct you.

Yes, I’m at a hotel. I’ll ask. Other suggestions welcome!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So very sorry to hear this, Priscilla. Just yesterday I read that Maggie, on the Lana now, had the very same symptoms. Her description is here, https://magwood.me/2019/05/01/ruta-...n-de-gormaz-to-alcubilla-de-avellaneda-25-km/
She seems hopeful that a few days rest will be the cure, after her injection, and I hope you get similar good news.

I am sure you will find excellent medical care, but based on experiences in other Spanish cities, if time and or language are more important than money, you are likely to be taken care of more quickly in a private clinic. I once had to wait for three hours for an xray in the public hospital in Cáceres. One advantage of the private clinic is that they will charge you upfront, while the public hospital’s billing process is long and cumbersome, at least that was my experience ten years ago!

Wishing you a full recovery and a return to the camino, Laurie

Thanks so much everyone. Laurie, your post with the link to Maggie’s experience was exactly my experience and her outcome is mine as well. It’s sciatica, I got the shots and advice to lay low for a couple of days— then I can resume walking.
So many Camino angels have helped me. I had to taxi from one clinic to another, and the even reimbursed my taxi fare! The whole thing cost 120 euros and their care was amazing.
Thanks to all of you.

Thanks so much everyone. Laurie, your post with the link to Maggie’s experience was exactly my experience and her outcome is mine as well. It’s sciatica, I got the shots and advice to lay low for a couple of days— then I can resume walking.
So many Camino angels have helped me. I had to taxi from one clinic to another, and the even reimbursed my taxi fare! The whole thing cost 120 euros and their care was amazing.
Thanks to all of you.
There is a belt for this condition that I have had much success with. Serola.net. try it out amazing results.....immediately. BC

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a belt for this condition that I have had much success with. Serola.net. try it out amazing results.....immediately. BC
I personally would Google periforma stretch. This will also help. BC

Thanks to all of you.

Let us know how your recovery goes, Priscilla. BTW, if you are not totally bed-ridden, I can recommend the municipal history museum in León http://www.museodeleon.com/cgi-bin/zdoc30/portada.pl in addition to the other standard must-see places like San Isidoro’s Pantheon. Just a nice place to get a look at the long long history of this amazing place.

Hope you are on the way back, and am also wondering if the medical personnel had any suggestions as to the cause. I’ve had many ailments walking the camino, but nothing like sciatica. Buen camino, Laurie

Let us know how your recovery goes, Priscilla. BTW, if you are not totally bed-ridden, I can recommend the municipal history museum in León http://www.museodeleon.com/cgi-bin/zdoc30/portada.pl in addition to the other standard must-see places like San Isidoro’s Pantheon. Just a nice place to get a look at the long long history of this amazing place.

Hope you are on the way back, and am also wondering if the medical personnel had any suggestions as to the cause. I’ve had many ailments walking the camino, but nothing like sciatica. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Laurie, when my brother comes tomorrow, I plan for us to see San Isidore. I am not bedridden, they actually said that some walking is good. Cause? Probably repetitive stress. I do walk pretty fast but I didn’t think I had walked beyond capability. My pack was not all that heavy but may be a factor (I’m 70). I’ve pared it down as much as possible.
We’ll see how it goes. We are supposed to start the San Salvador on Monday. I’ll take it one day at a time!

Sorry to hear of your sciatica, and glad to know it is being looked after. San Isidor is a treat. All the best for the Salvador, and if Marisa is in Pajares, I hope you enjoy her kind attention.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hospital de León - Ginecología, Calle San Antonio, 53, 24008 León, Spain, is the place. It's a huge hospital with very friendly staff. To get there, one needs to take a bus. I don't remember, what number.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.