• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding &/or booking Albergues and Hostels

EveE

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino start date = 4th June 2023
Hi, please can someone explain to me how to search for Albergues and book them in advance? Is there a specific website/app to use? Or should I just be contacting them directly?

Im starting in SJPP and want to have maybe 3 days of accommodation sorted out whilst I get my earrings on the Camino. Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I find the easiest website to use is gronze.com. It shows you most of the accommodation for each stage with contact phone numbers and email addresses. It also shows links for those places which can be booked online using booking.com. It is an excellent resource. Only in Spanish but web browsers like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge will give a pretty fair translation.

Hi, please can someone explain to me how to search for Albergues and book them in advance? Is there a specific website/app to use? Or should I just be contacting them directly?

Im starting in SJPP and want to have maybe 3 days of accommodation sorted out whilst I get my earrings on the Camino. Any help/advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)
note that all Spanish telephone numbers beginning with a 6 belong to a mobile phone. Many of them also do whatsapp, it is always an attempt to contact. Many of them also understand English, but also your cell phone probably has a way to translate texts into Spanish and copy them to whatsapp or to an email.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much for posting this link. Do you happen to have a similar list for the Camino Ingles? With gratitude.

As all of suggestions per above plus you can also use Booking.com or apps like BuenCamino, Camino Ninja etc. The aps will show you accommodation places in villages\tows per given stage. You can then use either Booking.com or your email or phone direct via WhatsApp

I know its a headache and I do sympathize but it seems that's "The new normal". Lots of people are somewhat panicking (I readily admit I did the same when I walked, esp. in the beginning getting out of SJPdP) and the May holidays didn't help any. Stay the course and you'll do all right!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All the lists and the websites given are very good resources. Remember no one source has every place to sleep. As someone suggested if you can't speak Spanish use a translator and use Whatsapp if you are in a non-EU country just. as Hans mentioned:
note that all Spanish telephone numbers beginning with a 6 belong to a mobile phone. Many of them also do whatsapp, it is always an attempt to contact.
Let them know you are using a translator and that you are a pilgrim, (May get a discount). Also know that just because Booking.com or one of the other sites show no rooms available it does not mean that there are no rooms available. If you contact directly you will get the true picture and often a better price because the owners do not have to pay that 15% commision to Booking.com.
If you contact them by whatsapp or email be concise, write simple short sentences and be very clear. It is the easiest and best way to make sure your translation is accurate.

If you contact them by whatsapp or email be concise, write simple short sentences and be very clear.
Slightly different but reminds me of a situation that happened when I was walking my Cmino.
One of the young ladies kept on calling ahead (actually using voice phone vs text or email)> She had a very rough time that always happened when she would state her last name (Mitchell). Perhaps nothing to us freely-speaking English folks but there is was.... Until some other Peregrina overheard her and quipped that this was a bit too hard for Spaniards - then suggested to start saying Michelle
POOF Problem was solved :)

Slightly different but reminds me of a situation that happened when I was walking my Cmino.
One of the young ladies kept on calling ahead (actually using voice phone vs text or email)> She had a very rough time that always happened when she would state her last name (Mitchell). Perhaps nothing to us freely-speaking English folks but there is was.... Until some other Peregrina overheard her and quipped that this was a bit too hard for Spaniards - then suggested to start saying Michelle
I know this very well from my own personal experience. I live in Mexico and no one can spell or even correctly pronounce my first name and often my last name too. Even when I am standing in front of them and slowly say my name it is a problem. So when I call an albergue or at home to make a restaurant reservation, or if I am asked my name when I am getting take out, my name is simply Tom Jones. It makes life so much easier!!!!!! For all you pilgrims out there make up an easier name like @CWBuff friend or I do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you very much for posting this link. Do you happen to have a similar list for the Camino Ingles? With gratitude.
Nope. Gronze/WisePilgrim/Booking etc should have accommodation info for Ingles and other routes. I'm doing Ingles at the end of October, I imagine it will be quieter then.

Is there a specific website/app to use?
To go back to basics, there is no official organization that manages the Camino or even all the albergues. The Cathedral in Santiago decides who to give its credenciales to. Various volunteer organizations and municipalities, and some church parishes, operate some albergues, with their own policies and requirements. Some can be booked in advance, and others cannot. Some require that you be a pilgrim with a credencial, and stay only one night; others do not.

Beyond that, the Camino is basically a free-for-all of pilgrims/visitors who walk across Spain and interact with businesses, residents, other visitors they encounter along the way.

Various businesses and volunteers provide services and information, including this forum. Several tools have been suggested above in the thread. Just as you would when travelling elsewhere, getting a guide book or app will be helpful.

In fact, you would probably want to use all of the following:
  • Guidebook such as those written in English by John Brierley.
  • Excellent website www.gronze.com - in Spanish, but the information is easily understood.
  • Phone apps such as Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino and others.
  • Lists that various people or organizations may develop (although none of them will be 100% accurate or complete).
It is your decision how far ahead you might want to book, but it seems wise to book as far as Pamplona, and re-assessing once you are on the Camino. For communication with lodgings in Spain, it is very useful to have WhatsApp on your phone, as a way to get and give information.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BTW, Eve...let us know when you get your earrings....although I believe that you might have meant "bearings..."

😉

Excellent website www.gronze.com - in Spanish, but the information is easily understood.
If you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice. In addition to contact information there are direct links to booking.com for the properties that use that platform.

Yes! I find if I say my name the way American's say my name jeh-NEEN- it is hard for many, especially the French understand - but if I say it the way the French say it ZHae-NIYN - the French and many other Europeans get it!

Anyhow - thank good for e-mail and whatsapp for direct bookings. I have booked some places in my very broken Spanish and French on the phone... but it isn't easy when they don't speak English. At least when you arrive, google translate helps!

When are you planning on going? May, June and September-may be difficult to find private reservations between Orisson, Roncevalles, Zubiri till Pamplona. Good hunting. Many reservations for September were made months ago. But there are always cancellations so keep searching.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back