• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding the Camino route from SdeC towards Muxia?

sue-loves-cats

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May/June 2015 finishing in Santiago.
May 2016 Santiago to Fisterra/Muxia
Hi I walked from St Jean to Santiago last year, and want to complete my journey by walking from Santiago to Muxia. How difficult is it to pick the route up when arriving into Santiago..... I can't seem to find a decent map anywhere ! Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I walked from St Jean to Santiago last year, and want to complete my journey by walking from Santiago to Muxia. How difficult is it to pick the route up when arriving into Santiago..... I can't seem to find a decent map anywhere ! Buen Camino
Hi Sue,

The route out of Santiago to Muxia and to Finisterre follow the same path for a couple of days. As you arrive at the Cathedral in Santiago down the steps into the Praza do Obradoiro, the big square in front of the west face of the Cathedral, instead of turning left to go into the Cathedral, go straight on from the bottom of the steps and follow the street ahead of you. There are signs on the route, but maybe getting a street plan at the Information Centre in Santiago would be useful.

Once out of Santiago you head for Negreira and Olveiroa, then a kilometre or two after the small village of Hospital the routes to Finisterre and Muxia split up at a big roundabout. There is a sign at the roundabout showing the split, left for Finisterre and straight on for Muxia on a road to Dumbria, then on to Muxia.

In the village of Hospital there is an information centre with a map on the outside wall showing the details of the routes to Finisterre and Muxia from there.

Buen Camino,

Mike

DSCF8133er.jpg

Hi Sue,

The route out of Santiago to Muxia and to Finisterre follow the same path for a couple of days. As you arrive at the Cathedral in Santiago down the steps into the Praza do Obradoiro, the big square in front of the west face of the Cathedral, instead of turning left to go into the Cathedral, go straight on from the bottom of the steps and follow the street ahead of you. There are signs on the route, but maybe getting a street plan at the Information Centre in Santiago would be useful.

Once out of Santiago you head for Negreira and Olveiroa, then a kilometre or two after the small village of Hospital the routes to Finisterre and Muxia split up at a big roundabout. There is a sign at the roundabout showing the split, left for Finisterre and straight on for Muxia on a road to Dumbria, then on to Muxia.

In the village of Hospital there is an information centre with a map on the outside wall showing the details of the routes to Finisterre and Muxia from there.

Buen Camino,

Mike

View attachment 23419
Thanks very much Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Galicia tourist office (different from the City of Santiago tourist office) has a great little pamphlet that has all the information you need to walk the Camino to Muxia and/or Finisterre. It lists services and distances, and you really don't need anything else. The route is very well marked. You'll love it!

The Galicia tourist office (different from the City of Santiago tourist office) has a great little pamphlet that has all the information you need to walk the Camino to Muxia and/or Finisterre. It lists services and distances, and you really don't need anything else. The route is very well marked. You'll love it!
Thank you very much .... I'll contact the tourist office

Also, I stayed at the albergue "Roots and Boots" the night before my walk to Finisterre/Muxia, which is right near the trail out of Santiago. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Mike, do you typically go to Finisterre first then Muxia, or vice versa? I am contemplating the idea of trying to make it to "the end of the world" but...it may take all of my 42 days just to get to Santiago! :)
Hi Angie, different people do different routes, you decide at Hospital where the route diverges. We walked to Finisterre and then on to Muxia, others we met on the Camino walked to Muxia and then to Finisterre. I preferred Muxia and was glad I had finished there instead of Finisterre but its all down to personal choice. BTW it took us 36 days to get to Santiago including two rest days so you should be fine with 42 days IMO.
Buen Camino.

Mike, do you typically go to Finisterre first then Muxia, or vice versa? I am contemplating the idea of trying to make it to "the end of the world" but...it may take all of my 42 days just to get to Santiago! :)

I'm not Mike, but I have done this in both directions. Take a look at some of these threads for some ideas on the differences:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...then-muxia-or-to-muxia-then-finisterre.37121/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nt-to-do-both-which-one-first-and-last.25465/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/first-to-muxia-or-fisterra-which-route.13419/

For me the hardest thing to give up if I go Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre is the walk into Finisterre along the coast. And the hardest thing to give up if I go Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia is that it just seems more "right" to me to end up in Finisterre at the lighthouse when I stop walking.

But both ways are wonderful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked this past June to Muxia, spent the night, then walked to Finisterre. Part of the reason I did it in that order is because I believe it's easier to get a bus back to Santiago from Finisterre, rather than Muxia. If at all possible go to both places. The walk from Muxia to Finisterre was one of the highlights of the trip, a very quiet, calming, contemplative walk, compared to the last few days of walking into Santiago. Very worthwhile.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If at all possible go to both places. The walk from Muxia to Finisterre was one of the highlights of the trip, a very quiet, calming, contemplative walk, compared to the last few days of walking into Santiago. Very worthwhile.
I have read many posts relating the same thing.....very worthwhile. I do believe I will try to make it! ;)

On my last two Caminos I went to Finisterre first then to Muxia. In 2014 I got the bus back from Muxia to Santiago, and last year I walked back.

This year I will walk to Muxia first then Finisterre and finally walk back to Santiago.

My plan is to take 33 days from SJPP to Santiago, then 9 days on the coast circuit, so 42 days is good. Just an average of 24kms/15 miles per day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Basically, when you go down the steps into Praza do Obradoiro keep going straight to Rua da Hortas and that starts the trail to coast...if you go to Finisterre first I thought that seeing the water over the trees while approaching Cee was the best part of my Camino...also I keep losing the Camino from Sardineiro de Abaixo to Finisterre so just hike on the beach and boardwalks to Finisterre for the best view of the water...I personally did not find what I was looking for at the lighthouse in Finisterre...too much wind with rain...but leaving Finisterre to Muxia I lost the Camino again so I just took the trails next to the coast for the best view of the water...but really how could you not have a good time hiking the trails along the Costa Da Morte (Coast of Death) after completing a Camino to Santiago...in between Finisterre and Muxia the Camino trail includes about 5 km of walking on the beach (picture attached)...on the North side of this beach the Pilgrims that were hiking from Muxia to Finisterre would walk down the hill to the beach take off all of their clothes and go swimming in the ocean...I thought the perfect ending to my Camino was at the cathedral in Muxia and don't miss hiking up on top of the hill near the cathedral for the best view of the coast.

Attachments

• Costa Da Morte.jpg
    Costa Da Morte.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Arriving at the Finisterre lighthouse is always most special. As you may know home is in Champagne facing a vineyard. Thus at the end of each camino when at last I reach the sea I silently give thanks and then treat myself to a flute of true French champagne, toasting all who helped to make my journey possible. Watching the sea I slowly sip savoring the moment. When that glass is empty it is time to turn towards home .

Margaret Meredith

Going to Muxía first means that you miss to see the sea in Cee. Getting up on that long hill and then just have the blue ocean in front of you. That was my most emotional moment of my camino that year. I live by a lake at home so used to see water every day and on the CF there was almost no signs of water at all so there I stod on the top of the hill and cried of pure joy. I walked from Finisterre to Muxía and found Muxía to be a really calm and nice place. Then I walked back to Santiago again :)
PlkeWcp0DE2o4bfrmxistyjLgHTe-AOftC9YVVX7MlEmc1Co4yjK4pnTurh_prbn2-dtrjWYKkNKDS3jDvjABNCGwbxiLqDl6nwy5PhYDTHCTnQyrWngFBwyRhlUHjHBxESUrTw7mr7PIrTNkX7-AOMGgiUfZN8qU5hWvuIwOk0f3TF_tjQUxhUZjCDoXiM-vY4l-HgN8-Om6urJ0-2Y-AU-f39_RYrQJFH-z7thWjAc-Eh2eZ-f5WfrRYNKe8U0C4YmN9uLVWnsVajp9oitislSUQCsU8kwFcTprLQ9Sd3Tu5r8VjNCpVtIN8bBkR0L-baCtYhKW84I8SO1WlBQSXy5Qh7WcDG6Oflm1ne3lFAr88rL74rAASGujUWwB6FXHvHWxYjIVPjkk4blLswwIJ9VwaA6wHwbaxrMgp6-rrZLG_2ODN-BZ1cR5ArbUYGLiw_En4BDQH-WMPbeaUamAzGobNaP6-qLcyG6jIxGs5h0fonckN4k_QQqcACeslPfFVJisVjcCu_N3Z6m1hf7UQnvb86eIqBsTjG49MhQSHH5LsdacTcNJrxt_ecgbT8m=w3968-h2636-no

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
leaving-santiago.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back