• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding water and sweat questions

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan and Frances 04/24
I started hiking in what is now called OCCITANIA, I have noticed a lack of fountains, of public water facilities. I have asked locals why in many villages there are no fountains like you find in the southeastern and eastern parts of France, in other countries. Some people have said that they thought that the authorities closed them years ago due to the costs of maintenance. That seems like a strange answer. Having looked up that question on the Internet, still did not find the answer.

So besides going into a convenience store or a supermarket in France, where can you find drinkable water to fill your gourd (water bottle)
You may not like the answer....the local cemeteries all have running water! Incredible?

Since I am on the subject of water, and do not want to take up more space, how do you manage SWEAT?

Thanks for your answers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The largest maintenance cost is likely routine testing to ensure that the water is still potable. Sadly, many villages find it easier and cheaper to simply turn off spigots and fountains rather than footing that cost. While walking across Normandy to Mont Saint Michele, finding water was extremely challenging - even the cemetery taps had been removed as cement and gravel replaced the traditional lawns.

I think the cost of maintaining is shorthand for “liability is too great if we promise that we can care for the springs/fountains”.
There is a spring near to where I live and locals have been using it for over 50 years to acquire drinking water (as many still draw their water from lakes and rivers). The municipality did not cap it after the Walkerton disaster (google Walkerton Municipal Water Disaster) although some thought they ought to. But there is a sign that says “this water is not tested and is not guaranteed to be safe”. Locals still use it. I now run it through UV filters just to be extra careful.
But at a guess, I think nobody where you are noting the issue wants the problem on their conscience and so they’ve opted to close the fountains rather than post warnings.
So: bars/cafes, grocery stores… or: cemeteries, streams and a portable filter UV system. But then you have some extra weight to consider:

Here’s a filter I use on domestic hikes: https://www.rei.com/product/100537/katadyn-befree-06-l-water-filter-bottle-20-fl-oz

And here is a nice, portable UV bottle: https://www.amazon.ca/UVBrite-Self-...ess-Steel/dp/B092RGSM7B/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Used in combination, you’d get pretty good coverage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the link on Amazon.
I think the cost of maintaining is shorthand for “liability is too great if we promise that we can care for the springs/fountains”.
There is a spring near to where I live and locals have been using it for over 50 years to acquire drinking water (as many still draw their water from lakes and rivers). The municipality did not cap it after the Walkerton disaster (google Walkerton Municipal Water Disaster) although some thought they ought to. But there is a sign that says “this water is not tested and is not guaranteed to be safe”. Locals still use it. I now run it through UV filters just to be extra careful.
But at a guess, I think nobody where you are noting the issue wants the problem on their conscience and so they’ve opted to close the fountains rather than post warnings.
So: bars/cafes, grocery stores… or: cemeteries, streams and a portable filter UV system. But then you have some extra weight to consider:

Here’s a filter I use on domestic hikes: https://www.rei.com/product/100537/katadyn-befree-06-l-water-filter-bottle-20-fl-oz

And here is a nice, portable UV bottle: https://www.amazon.ca/UVBrite-Self-...ess-Steel/dp/B092RGSM7B/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Used in combination, you’d get pretty good coverage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now other question….how do you handle sweat in a cold environment?
Appropriate wicking fabrics and layers. Merino is great as it will keep you warmer than synthetics and does not tend to get stinky and is pretty light weight. Start the morning with the layers you need, walk until slightly warm, start removing extra layers. I don't like being cold and would layer up, leggings with hiking pants overtop (I had to buy the pants on Camino because I was too cold in September in mornings and afternoons/evenings) a tank, tshirt, long sleeve shirt and a jacket, and would stop and remove a layer as I warmed up. Some jackets have venting and that will help to keep you cooler/more comfortable while walking.

how do you handle sweat in a cold environment?
Obviously, individual bodies behave differently. But if sweating is a problem, you should take care to remove layers (as @K_Lynn suggests above ) before you start sweating. That may take some trial and error, but it emphasizes how important those light layers are - much more versatile than a single heavy layer.

Items such as buff, hat, and gloves can be very convenient - they provide considerable comfort when you are just warming up for the day, or if you encounter a chilly period, but they can be doffed and donned without breaking stride and whenever you want a slight adjustment in temperature - for example when you are going up a hill. I practice this at home every day - adjusting my hat, hood, gloves and buff as I walk along, but almost always wearing the same layers of clothes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.