• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding your lodging

Flatcat

For many reasons. Pre booked my lodging, mostly Pensions and hotels along the Camino.
My question is when you arrive in a town, maybe some of the bigger towns!
How hard is it to find your lodging based on an address ? Do you ask a local business or bystander
Or has anyone tried Google Maps while there.
Thx
Start our camino April 23rd
After 3 years and some cancelations , it really going to happen
Thx
Clint

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use maps.me app with offline map of Spain to find address for albergue or hostals. If that doesn't work then I fire up Google Map (Plan B) as that will take up a little of my 2 GB data allowance from my local Spanish SIM card.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I mainly used Google Maps. Worked great. Not sure I ever needed to ask...........
A few times I may have looked up the reservation details on Booking.com and used the map on that site.

Though one thing I found.
Really strange.
But quite consistent.
Just one of those 'Camino things' I suppose...........

As you arrive at the outskirts of the town village, if the town/village rises up on a large Hill in front of you, your accommodation will be at the top! :eek:

And likewise, if the town/village is a long sprawling affair, your accommodation will be on the far side! :oops:

The last kilometre always seemed the hardest :(

In the days before portable electronics I used to go to the train station/bus station/town hall where their was usualy a map of the town....probably still the case.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For the most part none of the towns along the CF are really all that big where you would have trouble locating your prearranged accommodation.
The only exception to that would be Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Santiago. You could research their locations prior to your Camino after arranging reservations beforehand. Then print out a map from say Google earth showing the location in that town and stick it in your guidebook, or just save the map to your device.

I agree that looking up the locations in the bigger places ahead of time and then putting a map in your guidebook or saving it to your phone is a good idea. Otherwise, in smaller areas, they should be really easy to find.

For many reasons. Pre booked my lodging, mostly Pensions and hotels along the Camino.
How hard is it to find your lodging based on an address ? Do you ask a local business or bystander
Thx
Thx
Clint

I check out the the lodgings on Google Earth before I leave home. I take screenshots of the relevant Street View locations e.g. where to turn off from the Camino (I have the Camino trail on my Google Earth), which junction to look out for, any landmarks, etc., and I print these off in low-quality black&white 10x8 size standard copier paper. These screen-shots have proved invaluable and I have never failed to find my lodgings on the first attempt. One or two sheets per town is usually sufficient and they add very little to the weight. They are of course discarded as soon as one finds the location.

Enjoy your Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thx
Thx
Clint
camino ways app will get u there...i never booked and the upside is that i could walk as long or short as i wanted everyday.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In the days before portable electronics I used to go to the train station/bus station/town hall where their was usualy a map of the town....probably still the case.
patch, i think we met on the camino...i was with a scot named dave whom i met day 2

For the most part none of the towns along the CF are really all that big where you would have trouble locating your prearranged accommodation.
The only exception to that would be Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon and Santiago. You could research their locations prior to your Camino after arranging reservations beforehand. Then print out a map from say Google earth showing the location in that town and stick it in your guidebook, or just save the map to your device.
Mark you have walked more recently than I but not one time did I have to book ahead when starting in April. So when folks talk about pre booking it seems more necessary than this time of year?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In those larger cities, you can get a free street plan usually from the Cathedral information centres. For Logrono you can get it from the Information Centre on the left just before you cross the river bridge.

Mark you have walked more recently than I but not one time did I have to book ahead when starting in April. So when folks talk about pre booking it seems more necessary than this time of year?
I never pre-booked any accommodations on my Caminos. I only brought that up because the OP mentioned they were going to. I would imagine that in April it wouldn't be as necessary, though.

patch, i think we met on the camino...i was with a scot named dave whom i met day 2
Hi, did you manage the whole walk James? I got as far as Burgos and am off again this year Burgos to Santander but taking an alternative route when I get to Argos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My walking partner couldn't carry her bag due to a back injury - so we always sent it ahead (and therefore pre-booked). We just did one day in advance; however, the way we found it would be the same if you booked all in advance. Before we left wifi in the morning - I'd mark it on google maps. Google Maps works to show your location even when offline - but can't download new data. So the trick is to mark it when in wifi - then zoom out so that you see both your start and your end point - then you can zoom in when you get closer and just follow the "blue dot" to your location without using data.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back