• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finished Day 1 of Coastal Route. Any other walkers?

Fran_Camino2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal Camino (2018 - Jul 24 to Aug 4)
Camino Frances (2015)
I'm a solo female traveller from Australia walking the coastal route from Porto and booked into hotels each evening. Fantastic to be doing my second Camino having done the Camino Frances previously with my husband and son.

I'm doing a self-guide 12 day walking tour of the coastal route from 24 July to 04 August. Was hoping to meet some fellow pilgrims along the way but didn't really come across any other walkers/pilgrims today.

Would be fantastic to catch-up with some fellow walkers along the way to share the Camino journey? Any tips or contacts would be much appreciated.

Bom Caminho / Buen Camino to all!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
walking the coastal route from Porto and booked into hotels each evening

Hi Fran, you are more likely to meet other walkers if you stay in hostels rather than hotels.

The private hostels often have private rooms, so you can still have your own room, but you will be able to chat to others in the common rooms, kitchens and dining areas.

In hotels you are totally alone.

Even if you meet others while walking, they are unlikely to be staying in the same hotel as you, or even in the same town, so you immediately lose them again.

I once met a lady who had booked all her hotels between St Jean and Santiago on the Camino Francés. She couldn’t wait to get to Santiago and go home because she was hating it – she said that it wasn’t what it was all cracked up to be – just lonely nights in hotel rooms.

But having said all that, Day One from Porto is still busy busy with locals. As you move towards the small towns and villages, and if you are outgoing, I am sure you will meet up with others going your way.

It’s sometimes a bit difficult as a solo walker to approach others, especially couples, as I think I might be invading their space, and I’ve noticed that this coastal route is very popular with couples, but there are lots of solo walkers out there too.

It’s a beautiful route, and I wish you perfect weather and a very enjoyable camino.
Jill

Hi Fran,

I agree with Jill the best place to meet other walkers is in the albergues - even if you just mixed it up for one or two nights you might me a few people.

I just finished that route & during the day I only ever came across a handful of people but at night people seemed to come out of the woodwork & the hostels were very busy.

Enjoy every minute of it - lucky you

Aisling

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm a solo female traveller from Australia walking the coastal route from Porto and booked into hotels each evening. Fantastic to be doing my second Camino having done the Camino Frances previously with my husband and son.

I'm doing a self-guide 12 day walking tour of the coastal route from 24 July to 04 August. Was hoping to meet some fellow pilgrims along the way but didn't really come across any other walkers/pilgrims today.

Would be fantastic to catch-up with some fellow walkers along the way to share the Camino journey? Any tips or contacts would be much appreciated.

Hi Fran

I hope you meet up with some fellow walkers.
I finished the Fraces on 31st May and what a wonderful journey it was! Like yourself I am planning the Porto later in the year. Could ask you to share with me the towns and hotels you booked into and approx cost pee night? My daughter from Berlin is joining me on this Camino and has asked me for an accomm costing. Any info would be much appreciated.

Enjoy your walk. From all accounts it looks very scenic. One last question. Are you finding it very hilly or mostly undulating?
Buen Camino!

Hi Fran

Also I hope you have good weather on this route and that you get to enjoy the beaches along the way.

Please excuse my typo error in earlier message..should read "per night".
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back