• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finished my Camino, but not done walking

joecamino

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 CF
First, Thank You to the people on this forum. Last week I finished a terrific Camino-- 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago. It´s a journey I might not have started without the support I got here.

I won´t be heading back to the US for a couple months, and know that I really want to keep on walking-- outside of the heat of Spain. Does anyone here have suggestions and/or first hand experience on other long-distance trails in Europe?

Right now I´m looking at the various National Trails in the UK, as well as trails in the Black Forest and Bavaria. Thanks in advance for any help. You all rock!

Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joe, you are truely the one that rocks! :)
I would like to suggest the S:t Olof pilgrimmage route to Nidaros in Norway. I tink you will find th perfect climat for you this time of year, and the nature that far up north is stunning.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would suggest to go thru the forum chapter 'Other pilgrimage routes'......
have read very good feedback on the European Peace Walk....

I won´t be heading back to the US for a couple months,
Pay attention to the Schengen regulations on a 90-day stay in the Schengen zone. The UK is outside the area, so time there won't count as part of your 90 days, but you may not have passport stamps to show that you have left the Schengen zone, so if you depart from a country other than the UK, you risk having "Deported" stamped in your passport when you leave.:)

via Francigena. Canterbury (UK) to Rome (Italy) if you have the time. Or anywhere along France, Switzerland or Italy. Plus you get a testamonium (like compostela) in Rome. Also cheaper in Italy as there are many donativo albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
First, Thank You to the people on this forum. Last week I finished a terrific Camino-- 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago. It´s a journey I might not have started without the support I got here.

I won´t be heading back to the US for a couple months, and know that I really want to keep on walking-- outside of the heat of Spain. Does anyone here have suggestions and/or first hand experience on other long-distance trails in Europe?

Right now I´m looking at the various National Trails in the UK, as well as trails in the Black Forest and Bavaria. Thanks in advance for any help. You all rock!

Joe
Hi Joe
We know the feeling!!

Yes Ireland is a wonderful place to walk and the company or craic is good(look that word up!!!)

What about the Lake District in the UK
Or the coast of Wales

France is great to walk too
Try some circular routes eg..
The Tour of the Queyras
Tour of the Vanoise
Both a mixture of "remoteness " and towns and the scenery is awesome

We liked also The Cathar Way in southern France...a trail associated with the 13th century Cathar "heretics" .....now died out

If you go onto the Cicerone Guide website there are hundreds of books to whet your appetite and all have great directions re ..getting there and accommodation
Good walking to you and enjoy your travels
Best wishes
Annette

Pay attention to the Schengen regulations on a 90-day stay in the Schengen zone. The UK is outside the area, so time there won't count as part of your 90 days, but you may not have passport stamps to show that you have left the Schengen zone, so if you depart from a country other than the UK, you risk having "Deported" stamped in your passport when you leave.:)

Thanks Falcon, and yes-- I´m keeping an eye on that! After a quick Madrid trip, I´ll have about 5 weeks in my "Schengen Budget.¨ Will be sure to get stamps to show I´m playing by the rules.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
via Francigena. Canterbury (UK) to Rome (Italy) if you have the time. Or anywhere along France, Switzerland or Italy. Plus you get a testamonium (like compostela) in Rome. Also cheaper in Italy as there are many donativo albergue.

Thanks Evan. I´ll probably save France and/or Italy for Fall or Spring due to the heat. But Switzerland...I´ll check it out!

Hi Joe
We know the feeling!!

Yes Ireland is a wonderful place to walk and the company or craic is good(look that word up!!!)

What about the Lake District in the UK
Or the coast of Wales

France is great to walk too
Try some circular routes eg..
The Tour of the Queyras
Tour of the Vanoise
Both a mixture of "remoteness " and towns and the scenery is awesome

We liked also The Cathar Way in southern France...a trail associated with the 13th century Cathar "heretics" .....now died out

If you go onto the Cicerone Guide website there are hundreds of books to whet your appetite and all have great directions re ..getting there and accommodation
Good walking to you and enjoy your travels
Best wishes
Annette

Thanks Annette! Lake District and Wales are both on my list. I´ll check out Ireland. If they have a National System and websites as useful as Britain and Scotland´s, that´ll be a plus. Southern France will need to wait for a different season-- had enough heat this past week! :)

Joe, you are truely the one that rocks! :)
I would like to suggest the S:t Olof pilgrimmage route to Nidaros in Norway. I tink you will find th perfect climat for you this time of year, and the nature that far up north is stunning.

Buen Camino

You´re sweet-- thanks! I´ll take a look at that. Stories of 9 Euro bottles of water put me off from Norway, but there´s no doubt the views are stunning :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How about the Via Regia in Germany? Here some tempting links:

http://viaregia.guide/ (basic info)

http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html (with interactive map)
http://www.jakobswege-europa.de/wege/ (big overview)

Also nice (but has midges now) http://johnmuirway.org/

Buen Camino and Happy Choosing! SY

Thank you, Sally-- I´ll check those links out!

Just learned about the John Muir Way (and Scottish midges) this morning. Growing up in Northern California, the name jumped out at me. Are the midges manageable with netting and spray? One thing I rediscovered on this Camino is that I have Type-Yum blood..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Joe
The Pembrokeshire coast path is 186 miles of stunning scenery and tough walking as lots of ups and downs but so rewarding with its views, wildlife and flowers. Ok, it also has an oil refinery and docks to walk by but those bits are all part of the history of the area too, and youget ancient history with hill forts and alsowhere Henry VII landed before going overland to Bosworth battlefield where he took the crown from Richard III- one Pretty hot at the moment but likely to cool down as wales doesn't stay so green without lots of rain.... some of my best and most exhilarating days have been spent on that path

Joe
if you want 186 miles of stunning scenery give the Pembrokeshire coast path a go, it is truly wonderful and I spent some of the best and most exhilarating days on it- it was fantastic preparation for the camino, so long as you don't mind 100ft drops just to your side! It's pretty hot here right now but Wales doesn't stay this green without plent y of rain. It's different to the camino, lots of going up and down ,as you might imagine, and not much accommodation on the path, you have to detour to villages inland but if you plan ahead you'll be ok I Should think, and don't plan todo too much in a day as the ups and downs are pretty tiring. I think the longest 'official itinerary' stage is 16 miles but the longest I did in one day was 13 miles and that was quite sufficient! Follow links from Pembrokeshire national park.

Just learned about the John Muir Way (and Scottish midges) this morning. Growing up in Northern California, the name jumped out at me. Are the midges manageable with netting and spray? One thing I rediscovered on this Camino is that I have Type-Yum blood..

Hi Joe,
Congrats on Camino completion!

Re: the John Muir Way- I don't think you have to worry too much about the midges on this route (maybe a bit in the western part of it). They're more common in the north-west Highlands and you don't see much of them if there's a small breeze. Plus they're worse early morning and late evening.

Netting would probably be overkill (I've only ever worn it for cutting the grass on midge infested evenings). The best solution I've used is 'Skin So Soft' by Avon which isn't an insect repellent but is the best defence against those pesky wee monsters and commonly used for such a purpose. Check out the midge forecast here although I don't think it's that accurate https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

The West Highland Way is also a great walk and more mountainous that the John Muir Way. There's a website called Walk Highlands that has great information on walks and trails in Scotland.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A beautiful walk in the UK is the Coast to Coast walk from Robin Hoods Bay to St Bees Head. Most people walk it from west to east to have the prevailing western wind in the back. I walked it the other way around to save the most beautiful days in the Lake district for dessert. The walk is about 300 kilometers long, sometimes long stretches. There is a beautiful guidebook by Alfred Wainwright who developed this route. The book has beautiful drawings of landscapes and maps (done by the autor himself) The BBC made a series about this walk. Perhaps you can find it on the internet.

Congratulations from me, too, @joecamino. You are probably aware that no other long distance trail will be anything like the Camino Frances in terms of infrastructure and being in the company of other walkers. If you haven't done so, have a look at the offers from large UK tour operators such as Explore Worldwide and Exodus (in English) - not to book something but to see what there is and whether it appeals to you. I'd also consider staying somewhere in the Alps and go for day hikes - Bavaria (not terribly high), Austria (large variety) or Switzerland (Berner Oberland or Wallis area around Zermatt). I don't know your budget, the level of comfort you are aiming for, and your interests but two well developed and relatively easy shorter trails come to mind, in addition to previous suggestions: Hadrian's Wall trail in the UK and a bike trip along the Danube (the trail is flat, but not the area around it) from the German border to Vienna. And then there is of course the Tour du Mont Blanc, Chamonix-Zermatt and Munich-Venice but I'd do these in a group or at least with one other person - and it's a lot of up, up, up and down, down, down.

Thank you Katharina. I'd been thinking only of linear hikes, but day hikes based in some beautiful area could be great too. The Lauterbrunnen Valley is on my bucket list-- and Hadrian's Wall is on short list for this Summer :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Now that you have walked across Spain you may want to add another country to your list. The UK would be a good candidate and you wouldn't be eating up any of your Schengen quota. Or look at these long distance trails in Europe for good segments to do:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_long-distance_paths
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long-distance_footpaths_in_the_United_Kingdom

Thanks Rick. Hadrian's Wall and the John Muir Way are both on short list! :)

Hi Joe,
Congrats on Camino completion!

Re: the John Muir Way- I don't think you have to worry too much about the midges on this route (maybe a bit in the western part of it). They're more common in the north-west Highlands and you don't see much of them if there's a small breeze. Plus they're worse early morning and late evening.

Netting would probably be overkill (I've only ever worn it for cutting the grass on midge infested evenings). The best solution I've used is 'Skin So Soft' by Avon which isn't an insect repellent but is the best defence against those pesky wee monsters and commonly used for such a purpose. Check out the midge forecast here although I don't think it's that accurate https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

The West Highland Way is also a great walk and more mountainous that the John Muir Way. There's a website called Walk Highlands that has great information on walks and trails in Scotland.

Thanks for the heads up, Neo. I was looking at that WHW site today-- a Scotsman I met on the Camino told me about it. Looks lovely, and not too intimidating post-Cebreiro. :)

Thanks Evan. I´ll probably save France and/or Italy for Fall or Spring due to the heat. But Switzerland...I´ll check it out!
I just returned from Scotland and the Great Glen Way. An even longer walk is the West Highland Way, or both! Many beautiful walks are in the borders area as well. Good luck and congratulations on your Camino journey.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Joecamino......This route may be of interest to you ........www.norfolk.gov.uk/out-and-about-in-norfolk/norfolk-trails/long-distance-trails/angles-way .
I think it is about 90 miles / 150 klms long .
We live about 3 klms from this track as it passes through Oulton Broad..........a free bed and shower/ meal are willingly offered for a night if you ever pass this way .
Regards.....John

Thank you John-- I'll check it out. Appreciate the invite too! (How's your Tortilla Patata?) ;)

A beautiful walk in the UK is the Coast to Coast walk from Robin Hoods Bay to St Bees Head. Most people walk it from west to east to have the prevailing western wind in the back. I walked it the other way around to save the most beautiful days in the Lake district for dessert. The walk is about 300 kilometers long, sometimes long stretches. There is a beautiful guidebook by Alfred Wainwright who developed this route. The book has beautiful drawings of landscapes and maps (done by the autor himself) The BBC made a series about this walk. Perhaps you can find it on the internet.

Thank you Antonius-- I'll check it out!

I second the West Highland Way (you could add the Great Glen Way on for a few extra days) and the the Coast to Coast path in the UK. I just got back from a quick trip to the Dales Way in Yorkshire. It just 5-7 days but gorgeous. Difficulty of walking is very similar to CF. But - if you have time the Coast to Coast (12-14 days) travels through similar fabulous scenery. For both the West Highland Way and Coast to Coast last minute booking for accommodation would be a bit time consuming on your own. There are tour operators but they cost about double what it would be if you did it yourself. You do need to make accommodation reservations in advance.

What a great thing to have time to walk some more!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I walked the W Highland Way last year. Very manageable, and only in a few sections. A breeze wipes them out.

If you are looking at trails in the UK, I can highly recommend Offa's Dyke Path, which runs along the length of the England/Wales border. There is beautiful countryside and it generally runs through areas that are not overrun by tourists. I would also highly recommend the Coast to Coast Walk. It runs through three national parks. I did both of these back in the 1980s, and they helped launch my walking "obsession".

Another trail that I have done more recently, and I really liked, was The Dales Way. It's a bit shorter, but fabulous countryside, and beautiful little villages and pubs.

My experience in the UK is that accommodation is harder to come by (not to mention more expensive). You tend to stay in pubs or B&Bs in small towns/villages where there are not a large number of beds. I would suggest a bit of planning and calling ahead a day or two to book a spot. Have fun!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in the Lake District in England so I'm biased....but it is beautiful. Anything in the Lakes is fabulous - lots of circular routes to discover
I'd personally go for Coast to Coast or Pennine Way in England. Hadrians Wall is superb on the wall sections but around 70% is not wall and just follows the original line of the wall - - it's not on my personal favourite's list. Also St Oswalds and St Cuthberts Way - one finishes and one starts on Holy Island/Lindisfarne which is beautiful
Offa's Dyke in Wales is fun too.
Not done any in Scotland but I know that WHW is meant to be fab.

Joe
Hi Joe , first my congratulations to you finishing your journey to Santiago.

I think the best option for you is to do some walking in the UK.

You have to remember the 90 day's stay in the Shengen country's.

Wish you a wonderful time where ever you will walk , Peter.

Thanks Annette! Lake District and Wales are both on my list. I´ll check out Ireland. If they have a National System and websites as useful as Britain and Scotland´s, that´ll be a plus. Southern France will need to wait for a different season-- had enough heat this past week! :)
Count this as another vote for Ireland. There, the difference between Winter and Summer is the temperature of the rain...;)

But seriously, you couldn't ask for kinder or more welcoming folk. And, when you go into a pub, be sure to sit at the bar. That means you want to talk, and by the time you leave you're likely to have several new friends. Or, if you're feeling a bit grumpy or under the weather (it happens), sitting at a table practically guarantees that your privacy will be respected.

And, when it's needed, here's a great Irish toast:

May you live
For as long as you want.
May you never want
For as long as you live.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congrats Joe. I'm in similar situation as you, however I need to go accumulate non Schengen time, so heading to Ireland, which has been recommended a few times above.
To those who did, where should I start?

Congrats Joe. I'm in similar situation as you, however I need to go accumulate non Schengen time, so heading to Ireland, which has been recommended a few times above.
To those who did, where should I start?

I walked The Kerry Way in 2012. It was spectacularly beautiful. However, even in July, the ground underneath was like a bog, almost the entire way around the peninsula. I would say the walk is worth it, but you might have to be prepared to accept those conditions. The country is beautiful, the people are fabulous, and the beer is wonderful. What could go wrong?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked The Kerry Way in 2012. It was spectacularly beautiful. However, even in July, the ground underneath was like a bog, almost the entire way around the peninsula. I would say the walk is worth it, but you might have to be prepared to accept those conditions. The country is beautiful, the people are fabulous, and the beer is wonderful. What could go wrong?

That sounds great, and I've hiked in NZ enough to know about maritime climates, plus it will be a nice change from the mid 30s I experienced in Portugal for the last week.

What about the coast path, SW England, mostly Devon and Cornwall. You don't have the infrastructure of alberges but is is lovely varied walking and quite cool.

I agree with Josephine, the South West coast path is stunning, no albergues but your welcome to come and camp in our garden (we can pitch a tent 4 u!)
Or another beatiful walk thru the heart of British culture, Christianity and ancient sacred sites - The Michael and Mary Line! Most is now signed i think, but not all! It wends from Cornwall in the West to Hopton-St-Mary in the East - loverly...
http://marymichaelpilgrimsway.org/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with you all that there are MANY options for walks to do in Europe. What seems to be unique to the Camino Frances besides the infrastructure, is the amount of pilgrims you come across. Are there any publications (or suggestions) out there as to what routes would find even a portion of other hikers such as on the CF?

Joe
I suggest checking out the Kungsleden trail in Sweden. They have huts at a days-length apart with guaranteed accommodations. I will be hiking this trail with my daughter next summer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are the midges manageable with netting and spray? One thing I rediscovered on this Camino is that I have Type-Yum blood..

"Buzz Away" is a great citronella based product (no DEET) that worked great for me on UK midges. Nasty little critters get into everything! But once that was used, not a problem at all. Available on Amazon.com

Last edited:

Yes, the Ring of Kerry/Kerry Way is spectacular. I also suggest the Dingle Peninsula, which is just a bit north. It's less well-known and possibly even more beautiful. There are places where the hiker has to share a busy and vision-limited road with vehicles.

As to the squishy ground, that's pretty much all over the West of Ireland.

Last edited:
Dear Irish Pilgrims,

I followed the link to the Ireland Way and it looks amazing. If I do this one, I've only got time to do about half. Northern or Southern half? Anyone done this one?

Dear Irish Pilgrims,

I followed the link to the Ireland Way and it looks amazing. If I do this one, I've only got time to do about half. Northern or Southern half? Anyone done this one?
I think most of us in Ireland have only just discovered this Way! I knew about some sections but joining them up is impressive. I will report back in three years time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I checked out the website. I must confess sadness that the Ireland Way is so far inland and away from the west coast.

My wife and I found the West (Coast) of Ireland to be the most beautiful and memorable. Without even mentioning the unique geographic and cultural sites, we spent a full, wonderful (and very rainy) day in a locals pub on the island of Inishmor, just off the coast. We spent three never-to-be-forgotten days in and around Dingle, including their very-first-ever pub crawl, where more than half of the participants were locals. Both locations are in Gaeltact areas where the Irish language and culture are being kept alive.

I have no doubt that the Ireland Way includes many marvelous, uniquely Irish, places and people. Perhaps the next iteration will find a way to link up with the many coastal Ways. I sincerely hope so.

Last edited:
I think most of us in Ireland have only just discovered this Way! I knew about some sections but joining them up is impressive. I will report back in three years time.

I downloaded the e book last night from the link someone pasted. I'm actually thinking of this fall if the European heat keeps up and my planned Le Puy route is too hot. Anyone done this new trail??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is the kungsledden in Sweden or maybe some of the walking trails in the dolomites in Italy.

The Kungsledden site was incredible with a great hut system and beautiful scenery! On the bucket list...

I downloaded the e book last night from the link someone pasted. I'm actually thinking of this fall if the European heat keeps up and my planned Le Puy route is too hot. Anyone done this new trail??

Sorry PB, for my inadequate reply on the Irish Way. This is a brand new compilation of trails so it is difficult to find any ratings, and I got the page from Facebook connection to Irish Hillwalking. If you choose Ireland, and I would also recommend the Kerry Way, http://www.kerryway.com/ which is spectacular scenery and a mix of coastal and hill walking.

Sorry PB, for my inadequate reply on the Irish Way. This is a brand new compilation of trails so it is difficult to find any ratings, and I got the page from Facebook connection to Irish Hillwalking. If you choose Ireland, and I would also recommend the Kerry Way, http://www.kerryway.com/ which is spectacular scenery and a mix of coastal and hill walking.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Joe
Try Camino Denmark (haervejen) aprox 500km

Joe
No ... YOU rock Joe! I remember reading your first posts and some of your concerns. I know I don't know you, but I was genuinely really happy to see that you did it ... and not only survived, but have clearly thrived! My first Camino will be in 2018, and you have inspired me to let go of any doubts or concerns, and just do it.
Enjoy the next adventure Joe - wherever it takes you :)

Joe
Dear Joe,
As various people have said you have lots of friends here who are interested in your journey. Could you let us know what you decide.

Just finished the Kerry Way, lovely little walk.
Highly recommended, for something Between a Camino and a full trek.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.