• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

finished my camino

paso

I just returned home (Paso Robles, California) after completing the Camino. I left St. Jean Pied de Port on the 7th of Sept. and arrived at the Cathedral in Santiago the morning of the 8th of October. I had an absolutely wonderful time, the camaraderie that develops among pilgrims contributed largely. I did develop a small blister at the side of my right heel but that healed with a Compeed patch. The last week I developed some tendonitis about my left ankle but was able to walk on. I carried a 36 liter Osprey pack which I found was ample. The weather was great, one stormy day on the way to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos and two days of light rain, drizzle in Galicia. Walking up to O'Cebreiro the weather was gorgeous with completely clear skies and spectacular views.
For all you older people who have concerns, I'm 69, I did train with my pack beforehand which paid off, and I had no significant problems making the climbs. The most important advice I can give is pay attention to your feet. I greased mine every morning with Aquaphor (fancy vaseline) wore liner socks with Smartwool hiking socks over those. I turned the hiking socks inside out so the smooth surface was toward my skin. Unless I felt a hot spot, which was rare, I did not need to take my shoes off until I was done walking for the day.
I stayed in hotels, pensions, but mostly in albergues.
I will happily respond to questions.
Paso Peregrino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glad to hear your camino went smoothly and was enjoyable with few issues.

While I am not as old I am sure I still have the same or similar concerns about feet. I like your advice about turning your socks inside out. I have very sensitive feet and have already started looking at socks - those seams get me every time.

I also found it interesting how you managed to keep your boots on until you were done walking for the day. That is what we were taught years ago but I keep reading about people wearing their boots larger than usual and I assume it is partly to be able to get them back on after taking them off during the day. Did you wear your normal boot size or did you go larger? I can't imagine wearing a larger size especially while walking down hill. My feet already slide forward in my usual boots when I walk down hill.

Terrri said:
I also found it interesting how you managed to keep your boots on until you were done walking for the day. That is what we were taught years ago but I keep reading about people wearing their boots larger than usual and I assume it is partly to be able to get them back on after taking them off during the day. Did you wear your normal boot size or did you go larger? I can't imagine wearing a larger size especially while walking down hill. My feet already slide forward in my usual boots when I walk down hill.
Terri,
I think there are two issues here. Let me deal with the last point you raise first. If your feet already slide forward in your boots, you may already have enough room for your foot when it lengthens and widens with continual walking. One way of telling is to remove the insole, and stand on it with your heel placed where it would normally fit at the rear of the insole. If you have a cm or so of space between the end of your toes and the front of the insole, you are in the right zone. Even better if you do this check at the end of the day, after a long walk, or both.

Second is whether one should remove one's boots or shoes at rest stops. LIke you, I have seen suggestions that one would not be able to get the boot back on because the feet had swollen. I find it difficult to imagine the oedema that would cause the foot to have swollen so much that it would not be possible to get properly fitted boots back on after a break. When I get the opportunity, I remove my boots and air my feet during long breaks in my walks.

Finally, if your feet are sliding, you might be at risk of getting blisters from that movement. You might want to check whether you need to adjust your lacing tension, ideally before starting downhill, to ensure a snugger fit. For steeper hills, I will adjust my lacing tension to ensure my toes are not able to slide forward and strike the end of the toe box.

Regards

I called it a "proper rest!"
That meant boots off, often socks too, little foot massage and feet elevated if possible. Fifteen minutes later my feet were good to go. Almost like starting the day anew...almost. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore my normal shoe size (46cm). I wore New Balance shoes when I started training, but they didn't have an adequate toe box. I tried some other shoes at REI and found that I was happiest with Vasque Mantra 2.0. Good support, traction and roomy toe box.
Paso

Well done, congratulations! I've also finished my Camino recently and I'm also an elderly at 71. My Camino started in Astorga and took me 13 days walking with one day off at Sarria. My experience was very similar to yours, I trained for several weeks prior to the walk, the last four weeks carrying a 50 litters backpack with a load of 7 kilos, and using the boots I wore on the Way. One small blister on the ball of the left foot, popped it and covered it with second skin for one day, no other problems. Also, like you, kept my boots on until the end of the day's walk, then put on sandals. I walked in the same time frame, September 2 to the 16th, only one night of rain and storm that was over very fast when I was already at the albergue Complexo Xacobeo in Triacastela, this cleared the sky and the walk next day was beautiful, I walked via San Xil.
Some of the climbs were taxing, such as to O'Cebreiro and Alto do Poio and San Xil, but very manageable. Best regards, Douglas A

Thanks for the input on the boots.

Paso, glad to hear you just wore your usual size. I am hoping to wear the boots I already own and now my dilemma will be not to wear them out by next spring.

Doug, I am thinking I will buy some thicker inserts for my boots and also have the originals and that should cover me for if/when my feet swell. I am going to look into various ways of lacing boots and see if I can find something to help in regards to my feet sliding forward within my boots - I have a very narrow foot and have always had issues buying footwear.

Kaixo, I guess if I have to rest my feet I better remember to make it a proper rest - the feet up rule seems like a good one to remember to help with potential swelling.

Douglas, glad to hear another person successfully complete the camino with minimal foot issues. I am hoping to be in the group that doesn't have to remove their footwear during the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Paso
I also finished the morning of the 8th so no doubt we met along the way.
What a wonderful experience. The walk, the friends and the joy of just being able to experience this amazing country in such a simple way and luckily I had no problem with my feet. The doubts i had about staying in Albergues etc were unfounded but i would say that staying in smaller towns and smaller Albergues allowed for more intimate gatherings and group meals etc where you really got to enjoy the company of great people from all over the world in a more intimate environment. My night in Foncebadon on the mountain at the Domus Dei Albergue was a hightlight for this reason. I really enjoyed the interaction with everyone and I am usually very comfortable alone. This was the most surprising part of the journey for me. I made great friends and was sad the final day in Santiago after they had left as I was waiting for my late afternoon train to Madrid. After such a great experience i am now wondering how I sit at a desk again day after day! I think I will return and do another Camino next year. Maybe the Portugese Camino:)
Wonderful memories.

Terri,

I just read your comment about not removing your footwear during the day. I walked my first Camino this year doing it in two parts-26APR-13May from St Jean to Leon and then 11SEP-26SEP from Leon to Santiago. On the first half I religiously removed my boots and socks every two hours or so to allow my feet to dry and air out. I made a mistake one day and did not follow my own advise on the second half and at least three blisters appeared. It is worth the effort to remove your boots and socks and if possible put them in the sun to dry. What is that old adage-an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Buen Camino

Hi Paso

Was happy to read your post. I am 60 and planning doing the trek around the same time u did but next year. How was the weather most of the time?? How many hours a day did u walk?

I am women travelling on my own. Will I be ok?

On a side note, I live in Australia, but my daughter lives in Cayucos so I go there every year. I am planning on spending a month with my daughter before I fly to Manchester, then France. Why did u decide to leave from St Jean. I cannot decide which route to take?

Kind regards

Janis

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Janis,
I started in St. Jean because I wanted to walk the entire Camino Frances and because this stage was described as one of the most beautiful. I was not disappointed. Generally I would start walking about 7:00-7:30 a.m. and stop between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. with stops for breakfast and/or lunch.
I saw a good number of women who were walking alone, but it's very easy to meet and walk with other people. I did not hear of any untoward incidents while I was walking.
The weather was mostly very good, one really stormy day with high winds and drenching rain, a couple of days of light rain and drizzle in Galicia. There were some hot days but after training here in hot weather I was acclimated to the heat.
Please feel free to contact me when you're in Cayucos: Tom Weiss, phone (805) 239 2637, e-mail:taweiss@pacbell.net.
paso

Paso,
I also plan to walk from St Jean to Santiago in the month of Sept. I retire in August 2014 and plan on spending my first month off walking the camino. I will be 60 then and, like Janis, I was a bit worried about walking as a single woman. These post are very encouraging and I hope the people on the camino in Sept 2014 are as friendly as those on this forum.
Denise

HI TOM

Thank you so much for replying to my post. I will certainly contact u when in Cayucos. Glad to hear about the weather as well. Can you give me a rough estimate of the amount of money I shall need? Did u carry cash or can u get money from ATM 's or do most places take cards? Sorry, to sound so daff....:(

Also I have been reading the post on the best shoes versus boots. I have a pair of walking merrells that I love so thinking of just getting a new maybe the mid ankle merrell as I like the idea of them being light etc. What did u wear? Also how many lbs did u carry. I weight 62 kilos so I guess I should take no more than 6.2 kilos of gear? Goodness me.... Very tough for women....

Cheers
Janis

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello. My name is Patricia, from Northern California, and I walked the Camino this past May until mid June. I walked from St. Jean and spent my first night in Orisson. I would recommend this as it was a wonderful part of my experience. There is a communal dinner with tasty Basque food and introductions to your fellow travelers. Many of these pilgrims that I met my first night were some of my closest compadres on the trail and we shared a really special bond. We looked out for each other and cheered each other along.

I carried a 46 liter Osprey Hornet. This was a great pack for this purpose. When I got to Leon I mailed my 1.5 lb. sleeping bag and extra vitamins (two of my weightiest items) to Santiago and bought a sleeping bag liner instead which was plenty warm for the alberques (lots of body heat in the room) and most of them can provide a blanket if you need one. I tried to keep to twenty pounds including water. I found that I never used more than 1 1/2 liters of water before having a chance to fill up again, even in the most remote stretches.

I seriously recommend good walking poles. They are like having two extra feet and will be invaluable going both up and downhill. I also wore patella straps around my knees. They are straps that velcro on underneath the knee and really reduce knee joint pain which can be exacerbated on long down hill stretches. You can get them at your local drug store here in the U.S.

One good tip for saving your toes: After the first few holes are loosely laced on your boots or shoes tie a knot before continuing to lace up (mine are tied after the third hole). This prevents the stress on your shoe from pulling the laces so tight that the toes get pinched. I shared this with another lady who didn't speak English (your sign language will become very creative!) and she was so grateful that she was in tears.

I felt very safe. The other pilgrims are wonderful and the camaraderie is incomparable. I too would be willing to answer any questions or concerns. I was a young 64 woman when I walked.

Hello Patricia, your post is most encouraging! Are you going to be attending the Northern California Camino group meeting in Pleasanton on Feb 9th? I'm planning to walk May to mid-June 2013 alone for most of the trip. My husband might join me for the last 2 weeks.

Hello Promessi,
No, I will not be in Pleasanton but hope to get together with other pilgrims at some point. If you know or can learn some Spanish, that would be very good. You are going at the same time I did. It was nice and warm until near Burgos, then it stormed. It was nice again after a day or two until Galicia where it was cold and rainy most of the time. The sun broke through on the day I walked into Santiago--what a glorious day! There are lots of ladies on the Way, so you will meet lots of new friends. You will be a very different person by the time you and your husband meet up again if your experience is anything like mine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Janis,
I apologize for not responding sooner- missed your last post! I wore low top Vasque Mantra hiking shoes and was very happy with those. Depending how much water I was carrying (I had a 3 liter bladder) my pack weighed 15 to 17 lbs. I spent about 1400 euros on the camino. I brought 1000 in cash because I got a very good deal via a private exchange with no additional commission. I used my ATM card to get additional money. I carried both an ATM card and credit card. I paid cash at all the albergues, restaurants, and bars. I did notify my bank that I was going to Spain and so had no problem using the cards.
Tom

westernstar said:
Hello. My name is Patricia, from Northern California, and I walked the Camino this past May until mid June. I walked from St. Jean and spent my first night in Orisson. I would recommend this as it was a wonderful part of my experience. There is a communal dinner with tasty Basque food and introductions to your fellow travelers. Many of these pilgrims that I met my first night were some of my closest compadres on the trail and we shared a really special bond. We looked out for each other and cheered each other along.

I carried a 46 liter Osprey Hornet. This was a great pack for this purpose. When I got to Leon I mailed my 1.5 lb. sleeping bag and extra vitamins (two of my weightiest items) to Santiago and bought a sleeping bag liner instead which was plenty warm for the alberques (lots of body heat in the room) and most of them can provide a blanket if you need one. I tried to keep to twenty pounds including water. I found that I never used more than 1 1/2 liters of water before having a chance to fill up again, even in the most remote stretches.

I seriously recommend good walking poles. They are like having two extra feet and will be invaluable going both up and downhill. I also wore patella straps around my knees. They are straps that velcro on underneath the knee and really reduce knee joint pain which can be exacerbated on long down hill stretches. You can get them at your local drug store here in the U.S.

One good tip for saving your toes: After the first few holes are loosely laced on your boots or shoes tie a knot before continuing to lace up (mine are tied after the third hole). This prevents the stress on your shoe from pulling the laces so tight that the toes get pinched. I shared this with another lady who didn't speak English (your sign language will become very creative!) and she was so grateful that she was in tears.

I felt very safe. The other pilgrims are wonderful and the camaraderie is incomparable. I too would be willing to answer any questions or concerns. I was a young 64 woman when I walked.

Great share Patricia! Thank you! I'll stay in Orison too for the first day!

promessi said:
Hello Patricia, your post is most encouraging! Are you going to be attending the Northern California Camino group meeting in Pleasanton on Feb 9th? I'm planning to walk May to mid-June 2013 alone for most of the trip. My husband might join me for the last 2 weeks.

Hi Promessi, I'll start my camino on SJPDP on May 1st! See you there :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Everyone,

I will begin my Camino on June 14th. I am walking with my daughter from SJPP, and we are staying at Orisson the first night. I am 62, and was :D so pleased and inspired to hear from all of those who were over 60 that have done this and enriched their lives by the experience.
I have a Terra 35 backpack beside me, with a 3L camelback, Merrill Moab-mid boots, and will be getting walking poles, althought I wanted to carry one staft. I have a summer weight sleeping bag (1.5 lbs.), but if you know for certain that I can get away with just a liner, I would love to have less weight.
:arrow: Is a liner enough bedding for the hostals?

I have been training since October of last year, leg strength, and cardiovascular strength, and mental strength as well. About a month ago, pop! :( something gave way in the back of my knee, and I was advised to ice, compress and take rest from extensive leg workouts. I had a visit to the osteo doctor after three weeks, just to be sure I didn't have torn cartilage. After an exam and x-rays, he said to go back to my normal routine and see how the knee reacted. So far, so good, I am doing most everything I was before, just not as aggressively.

My knee cap is a little out of alignment, and I will be asking the doctor for a recommendation for good and comfortable knee braces when I return in 2 weeks.

I don't expect to meet anyone who has replied here as you all are going at a different time, but I do appreciate all the information that has been shared here. Thank you all so much, and congratulations to all who have completed their pilgrimages, and are willing to share your experience. :)

Deniseleblanc said:
Paso,
I also plan to walk from St Jean to Santiago in the month of Sept. I retire in August 2014 and plan on spending my first month off walking the camino. I will be 60 then and, like Janis, I was a bit worried about walking as a single woman. These post are very encouraging and I hope the people on the camino in Sept 2014 are as friendly as those on this forum.
Denise

Hi Denise, I too hope to retire (early) in August 2014, and am hoping to do the Camino in Septembr of that year, God willing.

We might see each other. I will be the haggard Lass with two poles being used before I even leave the streets of St Jean de PP! That's how nervous and unsure I am! Just a few years younger than you then, and a woman on her own too.

But I figure I've dealt with lots of awful stuff in life up to now, and that might help me on my journey.

The way I see it, the longer you live the more life throws at you.

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking.

Dubbydub,

You must be very excited as you plan your future camino!

There is much helpful information in these many Forum topics and threads.
Be sure to check out this useful thread compiled by Pilgrims over 60 like ourselves. >>
frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html.

Don't worry about being a woman alone, just be aware. Walking by myself in late autumn and winter during eight caminos totaling more than 400 days such problematic encounters were very few, less than five in all.

Nevertheless, this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Happy planning, training and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
[q. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Daily distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Happy planning, training and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith[/quote]

Margaret's advice to start slowly has been given many times on this forum and I consider it one of the best bits of advice.
My young son was on the phone last night asking me to book him a ticket home as he has knee trouble and has been advised to stop walking, but he started with long days and was also walking with someone about a 12 inches taller than himself. It is such a pity. If he had only take his old mother's advice and walked slowly into the Camino he would have been fine.

So to all new pilgrims START SLOWLY. and Buen Camino to you all

I walked the camino from SJPP to Santiago and on to Finisterre Sept 11 to October 21, 2009 ( with a few days off here and there). I was 61 at the time and had no problems at all, my feet were fine, with vaseline applied in the morning, a light polypropulene (sp?) sock under Smartwool socks.
I was recommended the Keene Targhee 11 mid ankle hiking boot, it was excellent. Bought 1/2 size larger than I usually wear and that was good advice.

There were lots of women of all ages walking the camino, many by themselves, others with friends or daughters. I did not hear of any having problems out of the ordinary. I met several who were doing the camino for second or third time. My experience was that you can have as much or as little company as you want; there is always people who are happy to walk and spend time with you, but if you feel like being on your own, that is easy too.

I came home to Canada, and retired as soon as I could (and sooner that I had previously thought), and moved to a small town, no doubt a result of some of the soul searching and revelations experienced while walking. It was a life changing experience for me.

I have just booked my flight to Europe for Sept 4th of this year and plan to walk out of the gate of SJPP on or around Sept 8th, for my second camino, and I am counting the days already. I will be 65 this fall.

Life is good.

Alan P.
Grand Forks BC Canada

Re: And stop, have breaks, enjoy the scenery,finished my camino

Alan P.,

Good for you! I experienced the same: The Camino Frances in 2009 did put quite a few things into a new perspective for me.

I have now retired at the age of 59 (in seven days from now), and will walk the Camino Portuguese within a month from now, together with a German pilgrim friend aged 69 (We met on, and walked together, the Camino Via de la Plata last year: A tough road: Much harder than the Frances...).

Age is no issue, really: Many young and many stressed old ones have to quit because of planning their days on far too long stretches: Their feet break down. Nice and steady does the job, whatever age. And take breaks, shoes off, enjoy the scenery, have a snack/beer/coffee at the next cafe along the road, and you will reach Santiago safe and sound. No problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the great tips. I am planning my first Camino Frances trip and am one of 60 + and walking solo as a female. I am so happy to hear that there are many others my age who have succussfully completed the walk . My plans are to arrive SJPP around Sept 2 . Do most people begin the walk the next day or is it advisable to rest and sight see a bit before starting the trek?
and who knows maybe we will meet on the camino!
Thank you kindly,
Margaret A.
Lake Worth, FL

Hi paso!!
I'm from Pismo and starting May 30th in sjpdp! Thank you for all your tips. I'm a solo female in my twenties. Great to hear about your experience, makes me excited to hear a local enjoying the camino.

Hi Margaret,
I flew San Francisco to Paris to Biarritz and the next morning took the train from Bayonne to St. Jean where I spent 2 nights. I think that gave me enough time to get over jet lag and I was glad I did that. St. Jean to Roncesvalles was a nice long walk with no problems.
Hi bmj91,
It's good to hear of another local person walking the Camino. It's one of the greatest things I have done.
Tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will be doing The Way also September 2014. I will be with three ladies from San Luis Obispo. Looks like CA will be represented quite well!!

DebraJoyceDawson said:
Hello Everyone,

I will begin my Camino on June 14th. I have a summer weight sleeping bag (1.5 lbs.), but if you know for certain that I can get away with just a liner, I would love to have less weight.
:arrow: Is a liner enough bedding for the hostals?
. :)
At that time of the year I doubt you will need a sleeping bag, and if you do take one make sure you can open it out - you are more likely to be too hot than cold. It is useful to cover the bed and pillow for hygiene reasons, but a sarong will also do that.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back