• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finished with my Camino last 100 KM- impressions

kag1982

Time of past OR future Camino
Going - May 2017
I posted here last year when I was thinking of doing the Camino, last 100 KM, through a self-guided tour company and was very disappointed in the snobby responses I got. We just got back from the Camino. We ended up using Camino Ways as our tour company and we really liked the company. The hotels were pretty good and I thought the company itself was helpful. I just wanted people who might stumble on this forum looking for information on El Camino and advice. It is perfectly okay if you want to use a tour company, if you want to stay in hotels with private bathrooms rather than dorms, and if you want your luggage transported. It is also perfectly okay to do only the last 100 KM. Walking from Sarria to Santiago is quite a long distance, with 25+ KMs on some days, so don't let people make you feel bad for only doing that.

If you are thinking about doing it, please feel free to ask me anything. I hope this is a judgment free zone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I posted here last year when I was thinking of doing the Camino, last 100 KM, through a self-guided tour company and was very disappointed in the snobby responses I got. We just got back from the Camino. We ended up using Camino Ways as our tour company and we really liked the company. The hotels were pretty good and I thought the company itself was helpful. I just wanted people who might stumble on this forum looking for information on El Camino and advice. It is perfectly okay if you want to use a tour company, if you want to stay in hotels with private bathrooms rather than dorms, and if you want your luggage transported. It is also perfectly okay to do only the last 100 KM. Walking from Sarria to Santiago is quite a long distance, with 25+ KMs on some days, so don't let people make you feel bad for only doing that.

If you are thinking about doing it, please feel free to ask me anything. I hope this is a judgment free zone.
Hi, congratulations on your walk to Compostela from Sarria. My 2 sisters and I are doing it nest week by ourselves, we booked the Monasterio de Magdalena for 2 days in Sarria but have not booked any albergue after that. Heard that there is always a place to stay so not necessary to prebook. Just wondering if this is still true or shall we book for the whole walk. We are doing it for 8 days.
Thank you.

...but have not booked any albergue after that. Heard that there is always a place to stay so not necessary to prebook....
Thank you.

Hi Elvie G.-I left Saria day before yesterday, stayed in Portomarín last night and am staying in Palad de Rei this evening.

In both of the last two days I just walked in to town and chose an alburgue with no problem. In both cases there were empty beds available in the evening.

There are more pilgrims on the trail starting in Sarria but there seems to be sufficient accommodations so far.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino,

-jgp

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, congratulations on your walk to Compostela from Sarria. My 2 sisters and I are doing it nest week by ourselves, we booked the Monasterio de Magdalena for 2 days in Sarria but have not booked any albergue after that. Heard that there is always a place to stay so not necessary to prebook. Just wondering if this is still true or shall we book for the whole walk. We are doing it for 8 days.
Thank you.
Prebook. It will make your life so much easier. Yes. You may find a spot but it might be really not a very nice place to stay. It will also be good to have some goals in mind. What helped us out is knowing our destination. We had to walk X miles per day to get there.

Great to hear it all went well @kag1982

1. There are always some who like to tell others how to walk the Camino :p
  2. There are others who like to 'encourage' people to maybe stretch themselves in how they plan to walk. They are generally just trying to be supportive. ;) But can sound like #1 at times.

Bottom line is..........you weigh up all the advice and information, and you walk it like you want to :D

Well done.

Last edited:
Booking a day head can give more flexibilty than booking all the nights together, while still giving peace of mind about having bed. Not booking means you can stop when you want to, where you want to. Either way risks you not liking the accommodation so really it is a matter of choice over bed security or freedom to walk any distance on any given day. The only real need for a booked place is if you have to send your pack ahead and need to stay where it is delivered.
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Elvie G.-I left Saria day before yesterday, stayed in Portomarín last night and am staying in Palad de Rei this evening.

In both of the last two days I just walked in to town and chose an alburgue with no problem. In both cases there were empty beds available in the evening.

There are more pilgrims on the trail starting in Sarria but there seems to be sufficient accommodations so far.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino,

-jgp
Thank you for your response. We are 3 traveling and going to A Coruna before and Barcelona and Monserrat after the walk so we have a small suitcase plus our backpacks. Heard that one can send suitcase by taxi and just carry basic necessities for the day. Does the albergue help pilgrims book their next hotel and send suitcase to next albergue?

Congratulations! :)
I didn't like the idea of an arranged Camino, but with my sciatica back pain I have to reconsider my point of view ;)
I must express that I did not judge what others did/wanted to do :D
I hope that I won't need it, but will think about walking shorter distances and sending my backpack ahead when that will be me only option :oops:
So, everybody has to do what is best for him and those that don't like it have not to judge and do it their way ;)
Well done, enjoy ;)

...Does the albergue help pilgrims book their next hotel and send suitcase to next albergue?
Most alburgues have at least contact info, if not a scheduled stop, for backpack or machila forwarding services. I've used it once and it worked well.

Regarding assistance booking accommodations, I've heard anecdotes but have no firsthand info on this.
BC,
-jgp

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for your response. We are 3 traveling and going to A Coruna before and Barcelona and Monserrat after the walk so we have a small suitcase plus our backpacks. Heard that one can send suitcase by taxi and just carry basic necessities for the day. Does the albergue help pilgrims book their next hotel and send suitcase to next albergue?
If there is nothing that you need in your suitcase while you are on the Camino you can send it via the post office to Ivar in Santiago. That way you don't have to arrange its transport every day.

http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

You wrote that you hope this is a judgment free zone. I don't understand than why you call reactions to your earlier post "snobby". Perhaps my English is not good enough(I'm Dutch) to me it sounds pejorative.
To me it wasn't necessary to tell the name of the tour company, I'm not so fond of advertisements on the forum

I posted here last year when I was thinking of doing the Camino, last 100 KM, through a self-guided tour company and was very disappointed in the snobby responses I got.
Congratulations with completing your Camino! It is a good thing that everyone can do it their way.

I have just read your former thread here and (apart from just one poster you might consider snobby) I didn't read any snobby reactions. Instead, I read a lot of considerate reactions of people who tried to help. None of which you responded to, by the way.

I don't want to spoil the party. I just don't like false accusations of active forum people here, who try to help new pilgrims over and over again. There are so many kind people on this forum. They deserve some credit for that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I had contemplated using Camino Ways because I had time for only a short portion of the Camino but now I have 32 days, still a couple of days short but I am ok with that. I will be walking with my sister who had knee surgery three weeks ago and we are going to transport one carry-on bag ahead each day so that there is less strain on her knee. I was feeling guilty at first but realize now that this is OUR Camino and we are ok with our choices. So glad you were able to enjoy the portion you did.

In 2015 I walked from Sarria to Santiago as a test run. At first, I couldn't work out how all these people managed with just a tiny little day pack while my mega-pack weighed in at 17 kgs. Then in Palas de Rei I found out you could get your bags carried forward - that was enlightening and a relief.

Someone was very impressed with me because I was carrying my complete swag and being a 'real' pilgrim - I'd didn't tell him the truth that I didn't know about bag carry service. :)

Nothing wrong with doing 100 kms at all. Mind you I did return in 2016 to walk SJPdP to Santiago but lazed a bit too much and had to bus ahead to be able to get my plane home. Back this year to do Burgos to Santiago where the bits I missed occurred.

... but now I have 32 days, still a couple of days short ...

You can start the Camino wherever you want, most Spaniards, for example, start in Roncesvalles and not SJPdP. I always think it is better not to put yourself under time or other pressure, so you could also start in Pamplona. Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I note that the OP has posted this in the Camino Frances section of the forum, but I would like to make some comments about using tour companies more generally for the Camino, including on other routes.

I have just returned home from my 2nd Camino, on the Portuguese route this time, which went very well without a glitch. When I first started planning it, I intended to purchase a self-guided package with a tour company. In fact, I have done most of my previous non-Camino hikes on packaged tours, and there is nothing to be ashamed of. The company that I approached to organise my Camino Portugues is very well known and reputable (but not the one mentioned by OP), and claimed that they could tailor my package according to my requests. However, what they did offer me was not much different from their advertised standard package, which would require me to walk more than, or close to, 30km on many days, including the very first couple of days of the walk, despite my specific request to limit daily distance to 25km. When I requested this again, they told me that if I felt I could not manage the distance on a particular day, I could get a car. Also, upon checking on booking.com, I realised that the accommodation the tour company had included for me was much more luxurious, hence expensive, than the class that I requested.

After some very simple research using the Brierly guide and booking.com, I was able to redesign my itinerary so that there was only 1 day when I had to do more than 28km (because there is indeed no commercial accommodation on that stretch of this route), and the daily distances were also distributed more evenly (eg 24km, 17km, 18km, instead of 24km, 6km, 29km). I was also able to book accommodation, with my own room and private bathroom, at places that were better value for money and closer to the Camino. The fact that it was so easy for me to come up with a better itinerary myself made me think that the company didn't even try. More importantly, at the time when I actually commenced my walk, there was a heat wave in Portugal with temperature rising to 37C in the afternoon. It would have been very tough, if not dangerous, for me to walk those long daily distances as per the expensive package offered by the company, at such an early stage of my Camino.

The moral of the story is that, while using a tour company may seem to save yourself the trouble of doing all the organising, it still pays to do some research yourself to see if there are other ways that are better, and safer, for you to do what you want to do, rather than assuming that a tour company would put your welfare before their own interest (ie to maximise their profit with the least amount of work). It is also worth noting that, for the more popular Camino routes, it is very easy to organise daily luggage transfer directly with a local company, as I did for the Le Puy route last year, without going through a third party tour company.

I note that the OP has posted this in the Camino Frances section of the forum, but I would like to make some comments about using tour companies more generally for the Camino, including on other routes.

It would help a lot of people if you named the company involved. Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Lance Chambers I think this would be inappropriate, but I recall that in winter 2016 a lone peregrina provided a Live Account of her experiences of walking the CP and the shortcomings of the tour company she had booked with.

Sorry but I don't see it as inappropriate. It would serve future peregrinos in good stead to find out companies that do not offer a reasonable or useful purpose.

Today most of us feel too scared to 'tell it like it is' and reveal companies and places that offer awful service. We're happy to tell about the 'good' but afraid to expose the bad, but this approach helps no one and allows the terrible to flourish.

I am contemplating doing the last 100kms in September/October and appreciate your advice on CaminoWays professionalism. Being an older person I would prefer not to leave things to chance and know where I should be each night and have the back up of the Tour group.

Congratulations! :)
I didn't like the idea of an arranged Camino, but with my sciatica back pain I have to reconsider my point of view ;)
I must express that I did not judge what others did/wanted to do :D
I hope that I won't need it, but will think about walking shorter distances and sending my backpack ahead when that will be me only option :oops:
So, everybody has to do what is best for him and those that don't like it have not to judge and do it their way ;)
Well done, enjoy ;)
Hello Willy , I totaly agree with you.

Wish you well,Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can send it by taxi but it's not cheap.
Iff the alberque help you I don't know.

Wish you well,Peter.

I am contemplating doing the last 100kms in September/October and appreciate your advice on CaminoWays professionalism. Being an older person I would prefer not to leave things to chance and know where I should be each night and have the back up of the Tour group.

I thought CaminoWays was really good and would definitely recommend them if you are looking for a Tour Company. I felt very good about them. All our bags, etc. got there in order and the hotels were good.

It would help a lot of people if you named the company involved. Thank you.

Fair enough. I will try to give you the name of the company if I can work out how to send private messages.

The reason why I am a bit reluctant to name the company here is that it will likely give the impression that this company is worse than the company specifically recommended by the OP here, which may not necessarily be true. The company that I approached also has some happy customers, and it was not my intention to suggest that pilgrims blacklist this company. I am quite sure that if you require not much more than a standard off-the-shelf package that they offer, they can do a satisfactory job just like the company recommended by the OP. Their lack of professionalism only became apparent because I had specific requirements and I took the time to do some investigation myself to 'test' what they have offered me.

Ultimately, my recommended approach is the same irrespective of which tour company you are considering using: If you have specific requirements, eg in relation to the standard of accommodation and how far you want to walk each day, do some checking yourself to see whether the tour company is indeed addressing your requirements in the best way available. Provided the answer is yes, there may indeed be advantages in using a tour company in that it provides some peace of mind and can arrange daily luggage delivery for the less popular routes where luggage transfer is difficult to arrange privately (noting that there are many companies that offer luggage transfer for Camino Frances and the Le Puy route, which makes it easy to arrange this yourself without relying on a tour company).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What I would suggest is to name the company and to explain WHY you are giving them a bad review.

Here in Australia we have a magazine called 'Choice' that does this for companies and products, we have Trip Advisor that does it for hotels, venues, etc., etc.

There is nothing wrong in giving a company a chance to be better and the only way that will happen is if the can find out where, how, and why they are failing their customers.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back