• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finishing the Le Puy route in SJPP -- logistics/options? extra days?

mla1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the logistics for a spring walk on the Le Puy route. I have added a few extra days into my calculations. Two questions:

i) Given that there may be extra days that have not been used on the camino itself -- what have other people done at the end of a camino from Le Puy to SJPP, to pass a few days before going back to Paris (or on their way back to Paris) ?

ii) How many extra (grace or emergency) days do people add to their itineraries?

Thanks!
Mary Louise

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can plan an itinerary here:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

I have spent extra time in Bayonne, when I was departing from Biarritz, or you could walk over the Pyrenees, and take the bus back to SJPdP when you time is done. The last time I finished in SJPdP, I took the train to Toulouse, and headed back to Puente la Reina. That takes more than a couple of days, though.

When I walked from Le Puy to St Jean with my husband aged 81 we allowed 45 days which included 4 rest days and walking over the pyrenees to Rocks values. Then we headed off to Paris. We would have liked to have finished in Pamplona but ran out of time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the logistics for a spring walk on the Le Puy route. I have added a few extra days into my calculations. Two questions:

i) Given that there may be extra days that have not been used on the camino itself -- what have other people done at the end of a camino from Le Puy to SJPP, to pass a few days before going back to Paris (or on their way back to Paris) ?

ii) How many extra (grace or emergency) days do people add to their itineraries?

Thanks!
Mary Louise

Train from Biarritz to San Sebastian , a few days in a great city
Train from Biarritz to Bordeaux , wonderful .
Train from Bordeaux to Angers , we love Angers
Angers to Paris
All on the same train line
Take in these lovely places Mary louise,
Bon Chemin.

I spent two nights in Bayonne and used one day to visit St. Jean de Luz. It's a lovely little resort town on the ocean and if you can get there on a Sunday it's wonderful. Plan on arriving in time to stroll to the central church by the time Mass lets out (around 11:30 as I remember), when everyone strolls to the cafes around the main square that's centered on a bandstand where a string orchestra performs traditional music.

Thanks everyone. These are great suggestions. After my first camino I spent a few nights in Biarritz because my flight was from there. It was nice to walk along the water, but it didn't feel like quite the right thing post-camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone. These are great suggestions. After my first camino I spent a few nights in Biarritz because my flight was from there. It was nice to walk along the water, but it didn't feel like quite the right thing post-camino.

Oh, I wish I could walk with you, MLA -- we'll do it some year. I walked from LePuy years ago, but as you're doing your planning, take a look at the Cele River detour. It is absolutely totally beautiful, you will not regret it. The French guides have lots of info on that variant as well.

I usually add three days as grace days, because then if I don't need them I can walk to Muxia or Finisterre. Obviously that strategy wont help you as you arrive in SJPP. :) I totally agree on how it doesn't feel quite right to be a tourist post Camino, so maybe you would just want to keep on walking. If you have three or four days yo could continue on, maybe to Roncesvalles or Pamplona (there are buses back to SJPP from Pamplona). Happy planning, Laurie

Hi Laurie,
Thanks! I am pretty certain I am going to follow the Cele valley route. My plan this year is to see how I do with a few 30+ days in a row, so I can keep up with you one day!:)
After I get the Le Puy route out of my system -- I might be ready for another big walk in Spain. Or maybe you would like to move further afield?
ml

Hi Laurie,
Thanks! I am pretty certain I am going to follow the Cele valley route. My plan this year is to see how I do with a few 30+ days in a row, so I can keep up with you one day!:)
After I get the Le Puy route out of my system -- I might be ready for another big walk in Spain. Or maybe you would like to move further afield?
ml

I know you may think it's crazy (my husband, my friends (even Dana!) and my kids do), but I can't seem to shake loose from the Camino. But if you tempt me, I might succumb! Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I've been thinking of the camino across Austria and Switzerland....Or coming down through the Netherlands or Germany and into Belgium to join up with the Vezelay route....still on the camino.:)

Hi Laurie,
ml
Yes, Do the Cele route, you won't regret it!

I took Ryanair to Marrakech for a couple of days...souks fun. (Happiest people I've ever seen on the planet). If coming from the states get on Eurorail or cheap airline and visit Budapest, Prague or any of the other places we studied in history. It helps to reimmerse and see other cultures.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan a rest day every week or so, in some interesting spot (Conques, Moissac, etc). And a day of "decompression" after the walk and before heading back to an airport has proven essential to sanity.

@mia1 Mary Louise the second Le Puy walk saw me continuing to Burgos. It just did not feel right stoping at SJPDP. Perhaps because the second time we only started at Figeac (to do the Cele route).

May I also through the Rocamadour Variant into the discussion? I enjoyed it immensely as it was so much less travelled (we were only 3 on a daily stage) and gave me a bit of a respite from the Le Puy 'crowd'. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan a rest day every week or so, in some interesting spot (Conques, Moissac, etc). And a day of "decompression" after the walk and before heading back to an airport has proven essential to sanity.
Any veteran LePuy to St Jean recommendations on special spots to lay over for rest days and or villages and accommodations you found to be restful to the body and soul?

Mla I see you walked from LePuy to St Jean a couple of years ago. I wonder if you have suggestions as to villages and accommodations you particularly would recommend. I am trying to target about 25km/ day and am looking for any tips and resources. Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always allow extra days so that I'm not forced to keep to a schedule. However, rest days just don't appeal and I usually end up with spare days at the end.

After walking Le Puy to Saint Jean, I was wondering where to go before heading back to Paris. The idea of playing tourist in a large town didn't appeal so I decided to stay in Saint Jean for a day or two while I thought about my options. I was astounded to find that I stayed there for five days. It has so many faces and I loved watching the pilgrims leave in the morning, then the locals about their business followed by the tourists and finally the incoming pilgrims. It was with some regret that I left to make my way back to London and my flight home.

The Valley of the Cele is a highlight of the Le Puy route. It is so stunningly gorgeous and has so much variety packed into a few days. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Rocamadour is also well worth the detour. It is accessible by train from Figeac - the journey takes just over half an hour and there is a walk at the end as the station (Roc Amadour Padirac) is about 4km from Rocamadour itself.

A workable option to do both the Valley and Rocamadour is to walk into Figeac, stay the night, train the next day to Rocamadour and stay the night before taking the train back to Figeac to continue walking.

Mla I see you walked from LePuy to St Jean a couple of years ago. I wonder if you have suggestions as to villages and accommodations you particularly would recommend. I am trying to target about 25km/ day and am looking for any tips and resources. Thank you!

Hi Ali M -- I haven't yet done the route from Le Puy - but I will do this spring. Like Julie, I tend not to like rest days - but put them in the schedule, just in case. If I end up with time, before flying home, I am also thinking I'll just go to SJPP and then see what happens. There have been a lot of good suggestions here. After my first camino - 15 years ago - I went from Santiago to San Sebastian for a night and then a few nights in Biarritz, which was totally bizarre - though the ocean was great and I took the train back to SJPP for a day, which was really fun.
ml

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back