• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finishing the Madrid route at Easter 2017

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés2004, Portugués,Madrid,Plata, hospi Grado
In 2015 I dragged my husband (OK, only slight exaggeration) from Madrid to Valdestillas.

My husband does want to walk, but his regular life rarely gives him much time for exercise. The man claims he is happy that I drag him on caminos as often as possible, so I will continue ensuring that we walk. Long walks (much over 10 days) are currently impossible to plan.

For family reasons, we had to stay at home around Easter in 2016, but this year, our son (20! Where did the time go? He's not even living at home anymore...) wants to come with us and has promised to help with any dragging or prodding needed.

Since we walked 6 days on the Portugués a couple of weeks ago, I think the first couple of days will be less hard on my husband. We'll just ensure his backpack is under 5 kg and promise him good food...

The plan is currently to fly to Madrid, walk Valdestillas - Sahagún, drop in to see Reb and Paddy in The Peaceable, then off to Burgos to walk San Olav to Covarrubias and home from Madrid. It will be nice to have some family time again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So exciting. I love the less than 5kg bag! Great plan!!!

That means that our son and I may be carrying 7-8 kg or so each, including water. We had our backpacks weighed together at the airport when we walked together in February 2016. Including t-shirts, underwear and socks that we later would be wearing (we always travel in worn out rags that will be thrown away before we start walking, ensuring that we won't have to do laundry the first night) and two pairs of poles, but excluding water, the whole lot weighed 18 kg, including "luxury goods" such as a small pillow and a water heating spiral - and four issues of The Economist.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
including "luxury goods" such as a small pillow and a water heating spiral - and four issues of The Economist.

I would not describe my hot water coil as a luxury by any means! :) On the Francés I agree it's totally unnecessary, but not on those many caminos where you wake up and everything is closed and there is nothing open for the next 20 km or so.

Not sure if you're a member of the club yet, Heidi, but your post suggests you are eligible. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Now, about that pillow and The Economist.....

Joining the cult...

My pillow (the same size as the ones they occasionally have on planes, but honestly bought) means my neck doesn't hurt when I wake up in the morning, and I can sleep on planes. The Economist? They're gone after a few days, but it can be very nice to have something to read.

Last edited:
I'm spending my coffee breaks and lunch breaks preparing our walk - or so I tell myself. In reality, we're as prepared as we need to be, and I just want an excuse to start the Camino in my mind - now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm spending my coffee breaks and lunch breaks preparing our walk - or so I tell myself. In reality, we're as prepared as we need to be, and I just want an excuse to start the Camino in my mind - now.
You need an excuse? :D

Well, I COULD be writing scientific articles in my breaks, I'm sure publishing a bit more would be good for my CV...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back