• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre Day Tour recommendation

kathyj1421

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -SJPdP - Burgos Sept (2017)
I'm finishing my Frances Camino first week in October and I'm looking for a recommendation for a tour for Day Trip to Finisterre. Can someone recommend a tour company or if you have used one of the tour companies, was it worthwhile? Can you recommend one company over another? Or is there a better way to see finisterre?
Should I book it weeks in advance?

Thank you for your feedback.

Here is the one I was planning to book.

https://www.ultreyatours.com/daytours/finisterre/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you so much for the feedback. That sounds like a great option. I'm meeting a friend in Santiago too. The timetable would be wonderful if you have it. I appreciate it.

jesper, can you go Santiago-Finisterra-Mixia-Santiago in a day via the bus you mentioned above?? Would you recommend this or just go to Finisterre?

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm finishing my Frances Camino first week in October and I'm looking for a recommendation for a tour for Day Trip to Finisterre. Can someone recommend a tour company or if you have used one of the tour companies, was it worthwhile? Can you recommend one company over another? Or is there a better way to see finisterre?

Hi, Kathy,

I'm somewhat reluctant that folk on this forum will give you very enthusiastic advice about bus tours because mostly we are walkers after all.
See this print screen for random info: https://prnt.sc/g2rusm
And if you wish to search for specific dates: http://www.monbus.es/en

I think the best way to see Fisterra and Cabo Finisterre is to do a bit of Google and then find your own way. Including the sleep in Fisterra because the highlight is watching the sunset at the Cabo.

Have a great time!

Honestly there is very little "siteseeing" to do in Fisterra other than arriving there, walking for 5 minutes along the port and then walk up to the faro in about half an hour (or a 7€ taxi) with a pop in the local church. Same for Muxia: arrive, walk along the coast to the chapel (15 minutes) walk back. I really fail to see what a tour guide would show you and explain that you couldn't figure out in a blink of a eye.

This being said, the bus schedules are not the best, so perhaps the difference in cost is then added value.

There are many more buses to/from Fisterra than to/from Muxia. Make sure you buy your return ticket before hand and line up early to get a spot on the bus as they fill up quickly in medium to high season.

Honestly there is very little "siteseeing" to do in Fisterra other than arriving there, walking for 5 minutes along the port and then walk up to the faro in about half an hour (or a 7€ taxi) with a pop in the local church. Same for Muxia: arrive, walk along the coast to the chapel (15 minutes) walk back. I really fail to see what a tour guide would show you and explain that you couldn't figure out in a blink of a eye.

This being said, the bus schedules are not the best, so perhaps the difference in cost is then added value.

There are many more buses to/from Fisterra than to/from Muxia. Make sure you buy your return ticket before hand and line up early to get a spot on the bus as they fill up quickly in medium to high season.

Hi, Anemone,
I agree with you that there is very little "sightseeing" to do in Muxia, but I hope you aren't suggesting there is very little to do in Muxia. :D For someone who has walked for weeks and weeks, sitting on those rocks and washing the waves crash from a multiplicity of vantage points, each one more glorious than the next, is one of the few times in my life that I am content to "sit and do nothing."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Anemone,
I agree with you that there is very little "sightseeing" to do in Muxia, but I hope you aren't suggesting there is very little to do in Muxia. :D For someone who has walked for weeks and weeks, sitting on those rocks and washing the waves crash from a multiplicity of vantage points, each one more glorious than the next, is one of the few times in my life that I am content to "sit and do nothing."
No no Laurie. I love Muxia, sitting on those rocks to meditate, and them enjoy a plate of percebes. But a tour guide cannot add any value in those activities vs doing it alone.

Only value to the "tour" would be better schedule. Other than that I just don't see it.

Hi Kathy,

I think that for a day trip I like the travel plan you include in your note. It sounds reasonable at 40 euros per person and it includes both Finisterra and Muxia. However, if would like to relax in one place for an extended time, you may be better off just going to Finisterra by bus or other means. Last year after the completion of our walk to Santiago, three of my friends and I went to Finisterra for a about 4-5 hours by car. The car was arranged for us by the hotel we stayed in. The total cost came to 100 euros, with each one's share being about 25 euros. We had a splendid time in Finisterra, and were able to bathe our feet in the Atlantic Ocean. Since burning your clothes are not allowed any more at Finisterre, this was a form of ablution and renewal for us. I think ocean waters have a much greater appeal for me from a cleansing perspective than burning clothes. I loved it.

Gadfly

As others have said, it is cheaper, easier and more fun to make your own way to Finisterre. We three walked to the bus station from near the Cathedral ( or it is about 6 euro in the taxi ), bought tickets just before the 9am bus left ( we went the fast direct way there and the lovely longer coastal route back) walked out to the lighthouse, visited the fish markets, had lunch, shopped then walked along some of the sandy beaches and put up for the night in a beachside hotel that was cheap for three in a room and had a great dinner, reversing the trip back the next early afternoon on the bus. A lovely sojourn.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took a bus tour this time...it was the only way (other than in a car) to get to Fisterra and Muxia due to the bus strikes and my volunteering schedule.
I enjoyed it. We were 7 plus driver and he delighted us with wonderful stories. We had enough time to spend at the waterfall and in Muros and after the Cabo at Fisterra (drive up is great...walked it a few times already) we had a 2 hour lunch break on our own. This gave me time to walk over to La Frontera to have lunch there and chat with Christine and Manuel. Final stop was Muxia which truly was my destination (no Camino without saying hello to my stones....yes I have my own) and some interesting stories courtesy if our guide. Easy ride back to Santiago in time for tapas.

I went on one of the day tours on a bus too. Personally, I found it a good value for the money. We got to see a lot, learned a lot of history, had a great seafood lunch looking out at the water, walked on the beach, saw the waterfall, and so much more. For 40€ it is a bargain.

If you really want to visit both Finisterre and Muxia and are limited in time, I would recommend a day tour because of efficiency and being able to see more. In 2011, we took the regular bus to Finisterre and back as a day trip. In 2015, we took one of the day tours - don't remember the name, and I would only suggest you find out if lunch is included and where it would be. In 2017, I walked from Santiago to Muxia because from that day tour, I knew Muxia would be landsend for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to note the public bus from Santiago central bus station takes 3 hours to Finisterre. I went in mid May and there was a smaller faster bus which I managed to get on (it seems you had to be selected, as not everyone waiting to go got on, can anyone explain this?) which took an hour, so keep the journey time in mind when planning.
Buen Camino :)

Just to note the public bus from Santiago central bus station takes 3 hours to Finisterre. I went in mid May and there was a smaller faster bus which I managed to get on (it seems you had to be selected, as not everyone waiting to go got on, can anyone explain this?) which took an hour, so keep the journey time in mind when planning.
Buen Camino :)
I mentioned this is my comment on this thread but have no idea why this is so. We were lucky that we caught the bus and it suited us to go the 'express' bus out to Finisterre and the more leisurely scenic route back.

Last year when I arrived at Santiago, we (my wife was waiting me there) were offered, in the street, a guided tour to Muxia and Fisterre. We accepted it. The bus picked us at the hotel at 9AM and go directly to Muxia where we had a guided visit for some 15 mn and 30 mn free time to walk about. Then we moved to Fisterre, where we had again free time, before going to the harbour for lunch. Then we moved to Carnota to see the largest horreos of Galicia and the nice church. Last we went to Dumbria to see the mouth of the rio Ezaro, the only one in Southern Europe that flows to the ocean through a waterfall. At 7PM we were back to Santiago, and I think it has been a good option. I don't remember the name of the company, but as said before, they offer their trip in the streets of the center.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We used 'Tour Galicia' company last month for a four destination day trip Similar to JLWV.
TheIr office is at the Parque end of Rua do Franco and the cost was €35
It was a great day and Maria, our guide, was superb.
Left at 9 am back at 6:30 pm. Lunch not included.
I recommend it.

jesper, can you go Santiago-Finisterra-Mixia-Santiago in a day via the bus you mentioned above?? Would you recommend this or just go to Finisterre?

Thanks
Yes you can

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back