• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre on the Solstice

ReyLoco

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Primitivo 2018
I'm in Melide with my wife and 6 y/o son on our first Camino. Started in SJPP a few weeks ago and had to drive most of the Camino Frances, but linked up with Camino Primitivo in Lugo by train (just in time to catch Arde Lucus, incredible!) and have been walking the last 100. Planning the last of our trip and considering going to Finisterre for Solstice.

Would you recommend? Are there any happenings there, or in Santiago, or elsewhere in Galicia? We're as interested in ancient cultures (especially those still practiced today) as in the religious elements of the Camino...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Finis Terre has its closest associations with Samhain not Litha. The ending of journeys and the passage into the far lands. I'm not aware of any public or ritual celebrations in the area though there may be cloaked groups that mark the turning of the year. Few celebrate the return into the dark though there seems to be a modern 'tradition' built more around Music festivals, 'Druids'outfoxing the Man at Stoned Henge and a bit of that dreadful misquote of Philip Larkin " hooray, hooray the first of May, outdoor sex begins today..."
An older view might have it "now is the time of labour, give thanks when harvest is done".

Saint John’s Day (Dia de San Juan) is HUGE in Spain with all night parties involving bonfires, drinking, and cooking. Bonfires along beaches are really popular so you will no doubt run into these parties if you are headed to Finisterre at that time. The owner of a hotel in Cee/Corcubine said the entire bay coast in that area hosts fires from dusk til dawn, so that’s an option for you. You’ll pass through there the day before Finisterre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the evening of June 23rd Galicia celebrates San Xoan/San Juan by staying up all night eating grilled sardines, jumping over bonfires, and then in the morning washing ones face with water that has been soaking herbs all night.

Most beaches in Galicia will host these hogueras (bonfires), but I just did a google search and it looks like Fisterra has a big party since there's a chuch there called San Xoán Bautista de Sardiñeiro.

https://www.paxinasgalegas.es/fiestas/festas-de-san-xoán-bautista-de-sardiñeiro-fisterra-6981.html

Programa 2018:
Fiesta en honor a San Xoán Bautista y a San Antonio que tendrá lugar en la parroquia de Sardiñeiro, en el municipio de Fisterra, los próximos días 23 y 24 de Junio.

Sábado 23 de Junio, comienza la celebración de la fiesta a las 20.00 horas con el pasacalles de la charanga O Rumbo. A las 21.00 horas dará inicio la gran sardiñada, y a las 22.30 horas tendrá lugar una gran verbena a cargo de la orquesta Huracán y la discoteca móvil CDC.

Domingo 24, la jornada dará inicio con el pasacalles. A las 13.00 horas se oficiará la misa solemne en honor a San Xoán y San Antonio con la banda O Rumbo. A continuación dará inicio la sesión vermú animada por el trío Mayer.
A partir de las 18.00 horas habrá hinchables gratis para los más pequeños y llegada la noche el citado trío Mayer pondrá la nota musical a la verbena.

Awesome. Unfortunately, we'll already bree in Barcelona the 23-24, as that's where we're flying out. Looking for true solstice celebrations...

Finis Terre has its closest associations with Samhain not Litha. The ending of journeys and the passage into the far lands. I'm not aware of any public or ritual celebrations in the area though there may be cloaked groups that mark the turning of the year. Few celebrate the return into the dark though there seems to be a modern 'tradition' built more around Music festivals, 'Druids'outfoxing the Man at Stoned Henge and a bit of that dreadful misquote of Philip Larkin " hooray, hooray the first of May, outdoor sex begins today..."
An older view might have it "now is the time of labour, give thanks when harvest is done".
As Gandhi said, you gotta BE the cloaked group you want to see on the solstice at the end of the world...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry @ReyLoco maybe I misunderstood your question in regard to ancient cultures, but I still think it unlikely you'll find much celebration of solstice. The festivals around St Juan mirror the Christmas celebrations. The Baptist is held to have been born 6 months prior to the Christ. Conveniently close to the solstices if you subscribe to the concept of adoption and allowing for a little bit of celestial wobble over the last couple of millennia. 'Cloaked' doesn't refer to costume (Nice picture by the way!) but whether the group and it's celebrations are private or public.
I hope you find some fun.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back