• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre or Muxia first?

Rich1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (5/15)
Frances & Muxia (2016-18)
Camino from Madrid (9/18)
Frances to Burgos (9/19)
TBC
Quick question hopefully.
If walking from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia is there a general opinion on whether to go to Finisterre or Muxia first?
Is one easier to get back to Santiago from?
And do you need to book the bus back or can you just turn up?
Cheers

Sitting in the sun drinking beer with my wife in Barbedelo - life is good

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If walking from Santiago to Finisterre and Muxia is there a general opinion on whether to go to Finisterre or Muxia first?
Cheers

If you are planning to take a bus back to Santiago, then end in Finesterre as it has more options for bussing, which is why I went to Muxia first. Being a much more quiet town it had fewer busses running.

You can purchase your bus ticket in Finesterre from the driver, or ahead of time; I've done both. If the bus fills up and more pilgrims are still in line they send out another bus, which arrived several minutes later when I was there at the end of May.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's true it is much easier to get a bus in Finisterre, but it is quite possible to get one in Muxia with a bit of planning. Imo the walk into Finisterre from sdc is stunning, particularly as you descend into Cee. Only my opinion, no answer is wrong. Off topic but you would not believe what my autocorrect wanted to change sdc to!

I went to Muxia first. I decided to end of my Camino walking there. After a night in Muxia, I took a taxi to Finisterre. After five weeks of walking, the taxi ride was challenging. My body was use to moving at 3 to 4 km per hour. The bus ride from Finisterre back to Santiago was better and the scenery is gorgeous. I think the bus from Muxia to Santiago is a quicker trip but you miss the beautiful Galician coastal route that Finisterre to Santiago provides.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cheers

I’ve only walked Finisterra then on to Muxia but feel it’s the best way because Santiago is busy, Finisterra is less busy and Muxia is total peace, a beautiful end to a Camino.

I’ve only walked Finisterra then on to Muxia but feel it’s the best way because Santiago is busy, Finisterra is less busy and Muxia is total peace, a beautiful end to a Camino.
I totally agree with Colette. Myself and 5 friends did this last September. Muxia is the perfect end to this Camino. One part is total peace. Round the other side of the head land the mighty Atlantic comes crashing in onto the. The little church dedicated to Our Lady of the Boat. overlooks this rocky headland and you can pray peacefully and light a candle. We shared a taxi back to Santiago on the Saturday morning and ended with the pilgrims mass at lunchtime. Amazing. Buen camino and Ultreia x

I totally agree with Colette. Myself and 5 friends did this last September. Muxia is the perfect end to this Camino. One part is total peace. Round the other side of the head land the mighty Atlantic comes crashing in onto the. The little church dedicated to Our Lady of the Boat. overlooks this rocky headland and you can pray peacefully and light a candle. We shared a taxi back to Santiago on the Saturday morning and ended with the pilgrims mass at lunchtime. Amazing. Buen camino and Ultreia x
Sorry meant to say that the Atlantic comes crashing onto the rocks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's true it is much easier to get a bus in Finisterre, but it is quite possible to get one in Muxia with a bit of planning. Imo the walk into Finisterre from sdc is stunning, particularly as you descend into Cee. Only my opinion, no answer is wrong. Off topic but you would not believe what my autocorrect wanted to change sdc to!
We went to Muxia first, mostly due to the transportation issue. Muxia, at least the rebuilt church and rocks, are far more reflective than Finisterre; in retrospect, it would have been nice to end there. However, we were able to attend Mass at the chapel on the rocks in Muxia - I think it was at like 4 or 5 pm. Muxia is much smaller and less commercial too. You can get a certificate of completion in both of those towns too, just so you know - and they are very pretty.

Thanks all. Looks like it’s a split vote ;)

I would not miss walking to Finesterre first and then on to Muxia. The walk is stunning as far as views and towns go. Muxia is a fitting end and there is an early am bus back to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cheers

I was so glad I ended my Camino in Muxía. it is interesting to read that others did too!

I walked Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia. As Gitti said, the scenery is beautiful and it is a very enjoyable walk. I didn't have any trouble getting the bus from Muxia back to Santiago. It left in the morning. Just ask around (or ask your hospitalero/a).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first Camino I walked Santiago go Finisterre and taxied back with friends. It was a fantastic walk that I'm sure that I would have enjoyed a lot more if I hadn't had the worst cold that I'd had in decades! I did my fellow pilgrims a favor and stayed in private rooms so that they wouldn't have to hear me coughing up a lung. :) After a couple of nights in Santiago I bused to Muxia where some friends from home picked me up and took me to their place in Camelle for the night.

Last year I walked Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre, with an overnight stop in Lires. A nice relaxing coda to my Camino. I had heard that the Xunta albergue in Dumbria was something special, and I wasn't disappointed, the building was designed beautifully, though I was disappointed in the standard metal bunkbeds.

If I have time this year I'll probably do Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia to see how that walk into Finisterre is when I can breathe through my nose. :D

Cheers

Did it two years ago, May 2016. We went to Muxia first, the reason being that it's a lot easier to return to SdC from Finisterre; many more buses and you don't have to book ahead of time,
Buen Camino!

I enjoyed Muxia last and then took the 6:30 am bus back to Santiago the next morning. Having a final memory and picture of the ocean and rocks in Muxia is priceless. It is a wonderful place to say goodbye to the country that takes such good care of us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I enjoyed Muxia last and then took the 6:30 am bus back to Santiago the next morning. Having a final memory and picture of the ocean and rocks in Muxia is priceless. It is a wonderful place to say goodbye to the country that takes such good care of us.
Cheers

Hi, we walked from Santiago to Finistère and muxia last September. Muxia is the ultimate destination for the end of the Camino. Its so Beautiful, so wonderful. The Atlantic crashing on the rocks below the church of Our Lady of the Boat where you can pray quietly and light a candle and give thanks. Apart from Santiago, it is my most favourite place. Very spiritual, very emotional.

I walked from Porto to Santiago..Cape Fisterra and then to Muxia..and returned to Santiago..by foot. Nice to do. From Cape Fisterra to Muxia is it very calm. And..Muxia is much much nicer then Cape Fisterra

Just for completeness sake...we are going to Finisterre then Muxia.
Muxia feels like the right place to finish...this time :);)

I've done it both ways and I think there are pros and cons for both. I personally enjoyed the scenery better walking to Muxia first and then to Finisterre and would recommend doing it that way around. However, you miss the town of Cee doing it that way and that's quite a nice town as well. The hospitaleiro in Muxia told me that most pilgrims tend to walk to Muxia and then to Finisterre to finish. It's a personal choice I'm afraid.

Cheers

Hi,
I wasn't sure too iff it was easy to find my way back from Fisterra to Santiago but then the guy from the albergue laughed and said: you can find your way from Holland to Santiago, do I need to say more?
Ghehe, the way back was beautiful and it was that I stopped in a new albergue ( 2 years ago) just 10-12km above Santiago otherwise I would have walked it in two days (especially the second day) without noticing lol .... well, thats not true because the second day i was almost dead lol of tiredness
But I guess more people walk to Fisterra then to Muxia so iff you walk the opposite way it;s more easy when you see walking the other pilgrims the other way, you see where they come from.

My opinion....
Fin first, because...
there are lots of beautiful views you won't see prior to fin.
The bus from Muxia is only 2 hours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Rich. Santiago-Finistere is a nicer walk than Santiago-Muxia. Consider walking first to Finistere, spend a night or two there, depending on your time and desires, then walk further to Muxia. The walk and view are also nice. You can return by bus to Finistere the same day. Or the next, directly to Santiago.
The life is good, as you said.

Arrived in Finisterre today - a wonderful and beautiful day. Tomorrow it’s off to Muxia and then our Camino is over...well this one is ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.