A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Finisterre surfing?

Camino Badges

aoife2018

Camino(s) past & future
Hi guys. I just finished my first Camino and I am now traveling to finisterre. I was wondering if anyone knows of surf equipment rental in the area. Google is trying to sell me packages so I know there's a beach . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Crow

Camino(s) past & future
2014 Frances Finisterre
2015 Frances Finisterre
2017 Frances Finisterre Ingles
2018 Frances
There are two beaches at Finisterre. The inside beach, with the harbor, is in the pictures. Just behind the town, a short walk, is a beach on the open Atlantic, where there is good surf. Look for signs for Mar de Fora. This is a beautiful spot. This beach is not recommended for inexperienced swimmers.

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
Ingles, June (2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Le Puy-Santiago (2023)
When I was in A Coruña, the surf was definitely up. 30 minutes by train from Santiago.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
When I was in A Coruña, the surf was definitely up. 30 minutes by train from Santiago.
And A Coruña is a great place to "de Camino" for a couple of days. Great beaches and restaurants, but for me the best was the fact that the city is on a small peninsula, and there is a walkway all around the city, going past such sights as the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, and a spherical glass elevator that takes you up/down the side of a hill with a beautiful park at the top.

Juspassinthrough

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, May-June (2017)
Ingles, June (2019
Leon-Sarria, June (2019)
Le Puy-Santiago (2023)
I have to laugh, after walking the CF, I ended up in A Coruña. I asked at my hotel about how to get to the Tower and was told it was 4-5 km around the promenade. As I started out the door, the Valet insisted that he’d call a Taxi. After averaging 25km a day, 8km round trip was just funny, even in the rain and wind. To tie this all together, the storm that enveloped all of Galicia late last June was why the surf was up.

Mugatu

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Finisterre, Muxia (2018)
Camino Frances or Norte (2019 , June 27-Aug 8)
Atlantic side, but it was flat when I was there last year...might be better to hop on a train and head north instead.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
There are wrld class spots in France also.i would feel perfectly at home around any surf spot! Biarritz i heard among others.
But to see six to ten story waves with riders being tiwed in would be special.
That surf school would be a great place to learn and visit.i have a shaper acquaintance who offered to build me a log to learn on..if i was limber enough, i would take him up to ride our little chocolate water waves

Karl Oz

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Portuguese
Aragones
Sanabres
Piamonte
Elizabethpfad
The ocean-side beach at Finisterre itself may not be suitable, as it appears to be a shore-break due to the drop-off at the water line. Swimming there is discouraged due to dangerous rips (rip-tides). The harbour-side beach is shallow, protected and safer for swimming. It looked far to shallow for surfing, but who knows. Maybe ask around when you get there as there is a lot of coast nearby that may offer possibilities.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the video in the link above is from the ocean side beach in Finisterre. I know that beach has some currents, but Eric (who runs the school and was an ex surf pro and 2 time European champion) knows this and will take good care of people.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%