• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre surfing?

aoife2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi guys. I just finished my first Camino and I am now traveling to finisterre. I was wondering if anyone knows of surf equipment rental in the area. Google is trying to sell me packages so I know there's a beach . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the beach at Finisterre. When we were there was no surf...

Attachments

• 20170619_173134.jpg
    20170619_173134.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20170619_184442.jpg
    20170619_184442.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are two beaches at Finisterre. The inside beach, with the harbor, is in the pictures. Just behind the town, a short walk, is a beach on the open Atlantic, where there is good surf. Look for signs for Mar de Fora. This is a beautiful spot. This beach is not recommended for inexperienced swimmers.

When I was in A Coruña, the surf was definitely up. 30 minutes by train from Santiago.
And A Coruña is a great place to "de Camino" for a couple of days. Great beaches and restaurants, but for me the best was the fact that the city is on a small peninsula, and there is a walkway all around the city, going past such sights as the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, and a spherical glass elevator that takes you up/down the side of a hill with a beautiful park at the top.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have to laugh, after walking the CF, I ended up in A Coruña. I asked at my hotel about how to get to the Tower and was told it was 4-5 km around the promenade. As I started out the door, the Valet insisted that he’d call a Taxi. After averaging 25km a day, 8km round trip was just funny, even in the rain and wind. To tie this all together, the storm that enveloped all of Galicia late last June was why the surf was up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Atlantic side, but it was flat when I was there last year...might be better to hop on a train and head north instead.

There are wrld class spots in France also.i would feel perfectly at home around any surf spot! Biarritz i heard among others.
But to see six to ten story waves with riders being tiwed in would be special.
That surf school would be a great place to learn and visit.i have a shaper acquaintance who offered to build me a log to learn on..if i was limber enough, i would take him up to ride our little chocolate water waves

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The ocean-side beach at Finisterre itself may not be suitable, as it appears to be a shore-break due to the drop-off at the water line. Swimming there is discouraged due to dangerous rips (rip-tides). The harbour-side beach is shallow, protected and safer for swimming. It looked far to shallow for surfing, but who knows. Maybe ask around when you get there as there is a lot of coast nearby that may offer possibilities.

I believe the video in the link above is from the ocean side beach in Finisterre. I know that beach has some currents, but Eric (who runs the school and was an ex surf pro and 2 time European champion) knows this and will take good care of people.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back