• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre to Bilbao?

hannajo

Has anyone got a clue how to get to Bilbao by bus via the coast road ideally from Finsterre or do we have to travel back to Santiago?

Is there a bus to Bilbao from Santiago via the coast?

Also do we have to pre book bus tickets? Travel plans to return to UK are for June.

Grateful for any help.

Jo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will have to get back to Santiago. From there you could geta bus to A Coruna and then travel back to Bilbao. Flights from there to Bilbao are around 30 euro.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
a few years ago I took a bus to A Coruna, from there to Santander and then to Bilbao, not via Santiago. I stayed over in Santander, my credencial gave me access to the albergue there. It was a really nice trip!
Rolf

Thanks Rolf...it sounds like you got a bus to A Coruna from Finisterre ....is that correct? I am also wondering if I have to book seats in advance.....bus timetable info is sometimes hard to access.
Jo

Here is the timetable for the buses between Fisterra and A Coruna:
Lunes a Viernes:
Fisterra (Finisterre) - A Coruña: 7:00, 7:50, 9:30, 11:00, 13:45, 16:30, 19:45.
Sábado:
Fisterra (Finisterre) - A Coruña: 10:30, 13:45, 16:00, 19:45.
Domingos y festivos:
Fisterra (Finisterre) - A Coruña: 9:45, 18:00.

And you don't need to book a seat, the buses are never that busy, just turn up at the bus stop outside the albergue in Fisterra.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is possible to travel all the way from Ferrol to Bilbao with FEVE, though you would need to change trains in Santander and Oviedo. This is also a slow route, as it is a local service which stops frequently.

http://www.feve.es/

From CSJ: FEVE trains http://www.feve.es, not part of RENFE, offer a narrow gauge service all along the north coast of Spain from Ferrol to both Santander and Bilbao. It is a leisurely journey through beautiful scenery and, if you have the time, a trip to be recommended. The journey times are Ferrol-Oviedo 7½ hours. Oviedo to Santander 4½ hours. Santander-Bilbao 2½ hours. It is possible to travel from Ferrol to Santander in one day, provided that the train from Ferrol to Oviedo is not late. Bicycles are carried if space is available.

The timetable is:
dep. Ferrol 0810 arr. Oviedo 1428
dep. Oviedo 1535 arr. Santander 2016

If you prefer a more leisurely approach, the other train of the day from Oviedo leaves at 0905 and arrives Santander 1346, continuing on to Bilbao, arriving at 1646. It is not expensive. Ferrol-Santander 30€. If you are over 60 you can travel half price on FEVE once you have bought a senior citizen’s ‘blue card’ for 2€. All FEVE timetables are at http://www.feve.es.

For an overnight stay in Oviedo there is the Albergue de Peregrinos El Salvador at San Pedro de Mestallón 1, or the Hotel Favila, c/Uria,37, ( 985 259 455 Double rooms 33€, close to the bus and train station. There is a Youth Hostel in Bilbao, Albergue Bilbao (Aterpetxea Bilbo in Basque), Carretera Basurto-Castrexana 70, 48002 Bilbao. A YHA or IYHF card is required.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back