• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre to Muxia level of difficulty

Ellann

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino 2022
French Camino 2024
Hi all I have just finished the Portuguese Camino and today caught a bus to Cee and then walked to Fisterra in the hope I could stay in the Municipal albergue. I was not accepted because I had not walked the whole distance but let’s not go there.
I am a bit tired and have a sore foot possibly plantar fasciitis or Archilles Tendonitis, and in medication which works quite well but I am keen to walk to Muxia in 2 stages starting tomorrow, and was looking for a short quick answer as to how difficult it is and whether it is well sign posted. Is it super steep and very uneven under foot. If I don’t walk I will have to stay in Fisterra another night before I head to The Little Fox House for rest and rehab. Thanks in advance. Ellann

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't miss the splendid albergue at
Dumbria! It is located on the eastern side of the village next to the local sport hall. If when you arrive the large glass door appears closed just push it, enter and choose a bunk. There are great showers plus toasty sub-floor heat in winter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought it easy, Peg was suffering from tendonitis but she thinks it was "not hard". We took two days.

Two warnings on signing. I think it was good over all but there was one long stretch along a straight paved road where there weren't any. They really were not needed because that was the way to go but it would have been nice to have some reassuring arrows. This was in 2015 so there could be more arrows now.

The way is marked in both directions so be careful if you take a break that you don't resume walking following an arrow pointing in the direction you just came from.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought it easy, Peg was suffering from tendonitis but she thinks it was "not hard". We took two days.

Two warnings on signing. I think it was good over all but there was one long stretch along a straight paved road where there weren't any. They really were not needed because that was the way to go but it would have been nice to have some reassuring arrows. This was in 2015 so there could be more arrows now.

The way is marked in both directions so be careful if you take a break that you don't resume walking following an arrow pointing in the direction you just came from.
Thanks everyone I have secured a reservation at Lires so am going to give it my best shot . Each section is about 14 km so is very doable even if it just takes time,

Thanks everyone I have secured a reservation at Lires so am going to give it my best shot . Each section is about 14 km so is very doable even if it just takes time,

If you have the energy, the area where the river meets the sea is beautiful. There is a footpath that diverges off the main route, about 2 km south of Lires, that will take you along the cliffs to where the sea and river meet and you then follow the river to Lires.

For those seriously adventurous, there is a coastal path all the way from Finesterre that is strenous.

My husband and I walked from Fisterra to Muxia in September, overnighting in Lires. Not terribly difficult BUT be aware that there are not many places to get water or food on the route. Be sure to carry enough to meet your needs for the day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all I have just finished the Portuguese Camino and today caught a bus to Cee and then walked to Fisterra in the hope I could stay in the Municipal albergue. I was not accepted because I had not walked the whole distance but let’s not go there.
I am a bit tired and have a sore foot possibly plantar fasciitis or Archilles Tendonitis, and in medication which works quite well but I am keen to walk to Muxia in 2 stages starting tomorrow, and was looking for a short quick answer as to how difficult it is and whether it is well sign posted. Is it super steep and very uneven under foot. If I don’t walk I will have to stay in Fisterra another night before I head to The Little Fox House for rest and rehab. Thanks in advance. Ellann
We walked the Finisterre to Muxia route about 2 weeks ago. It is a beautiful walk and highly recommended. The route is sign posted well. There were a couple of areas where we stopped to make sure we were on the right path, but not anymore than other areas of the Camino. The way is a mix of woodland paths and country roads and not particularly difficult, but has some hills and descents. There is a variant going into Lires along the coast, which we did, that has some rocky areas. It is beautiful and we were both glad we did it, although we weren't sure at the time. Lires is a small village that we enjoyed with a few cafes / restaurants. We stayed at Liresca in a lovely private room and ate at As Eiras. The walk from Lires to Muxia is beautiful although virtually no services on that section with limited areas for a rest. I always use walking poles and was glad I had them. There is a climb toward the end and descent with some rock, but trail is mostly wide and manageable.

Don't miss the splendid albergue at
Dumbria! It is located on the eastern side of the village next to the local sport hall. If when you arrive the large glass door appears closed just push it, enter and choose a bunk. There are great showers plus toasty sub-floor heat in winter.
Sounds nice but on on the “way” to Muxia

I recommend Belle Muxia (albergue) in Muxia if you have the opportunity to stay there. Lovely, restful place with sea views.
I second this suggestion: it’s a lovely spot, very clean and modern.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently walked from Muxia to Finisterre and when I got to the bridge over the Lires River (right before the town if you’re going to Finisterre) I saw the submerged stones over to the right of the bridge. And I had one of those memory rushes.

What is now a fancy bridge crossing used to be a crazily precarious walk from slippery submerged stone to slippery submerged stone. To make matters more challenging, the stones were farther apart than the average stride. I remember water almost up to my knee in the middle and to this day cannot figure out how I made it across without falling in.

When the bridge was installed, a few of the stones were pulled out, I guess so that peregrinos could not try the precarious crossing even if they wanted to. 9D267E12-635D-4B71-B5A5-ECB1148A7948.jpeg

Here’s an old thread describing it.

I am glad that they built a bridge but a simple wooden bridge would have been fine. This one cost 250,000 €.

Sounds nice but on on the “way” to Muxia
Ellann,
In your original post you noted that you had 2 days to fill. I recalled this map in Gronze showing a path linking Finisterre with Dumbria and the continuation from Dumbria through rather remote woodland to Muxia which I followed in 2013. Thus I thought your 2 days might be filled walking these paths to Muxia.

Wherever you might be now Carpe diem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I walked from Fisterra to Muxia in September, overnighting in Lires. Not terribly difficult BUT be aware that there are not many places to get water or food on the route. Be sure to carry enough to meet your needs for the day.

If you have the energy, the area where the river meets the sea is beautiful. There is a footpath that diverges off the main route, about 2 km south of Lires, that will take you along the cliffs to where the sea and river meet and you then follow the river to Lires.

For those seriously adventurous, there is a coastal path all the way from Finesterre that is strenous.
Can confirm and highly recommend the small walk along the river to the sea at Lires , stunning views when having a drink at bar playa de Lires, amazing 😀, we were there few weeks ago

Attachments

• 20220924_174339.jpg
    20220924_174339.jpg
    12.9 MB · Views: 13
Can confirm and highly recommend the small walk along the river to the sea at Lires , stunning views when having a drink at bar playa de Lires, amazing 😀, we were there few weeks ago
This bar can be accessed from either direction without backtracking. I believe it adds about 1.75 km to the total. My tracks for the day show where the turnoffs are. From Lires, in direction of Finisterre, it is easy, just keep walking along the river going towards the ocean, then take the dirt path after the parking lot at the end of the beach after the bar.

On the way to Lires, if you’re walking towards Muxia, you will have to take a turnoff that has sometimes been marked but may not be.

The bar has been closed for the season but will re-open in spring, but it is, IMHO, very much worth a detour whether the bar is open or closed!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can highly recommend Restaurante & Bar A Braña in Lires. I had such a good dinner there that I returned for breakfast on my way out in the morning.
Restaurante & Bar A Braña +34 696 02 98 10 https://maps.app.goo.gl/ipV53sqEWpDEGYNP9
We also loved that bar with excellent views, both times we walked between those two towns/villages.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Had a lovely walk from Finisterre to Lires but missed the detour. Today I walked from Lires yo Muxia and really enjoyed the misty cool weather. My Camino is now officially complete however am on my way to The Little Fox House for three nights before getting back to Porto yo go back home to Australia.

We stayed in a beautiful little b&b in Lires in June. Just can't remember the name. It was across the road from a very modern looking b&b.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This bar can be accessed from either direction without backtracking. I believe it adds about 1.75 km to the total. My tracks for the day show where the turnoffs are. From Lires, in direction of Finisterre, it is easy, just keep walking along the river going towards the ocean, then take the dirt path after the parking lot at the end of the beach after the bar.

On the way to Lires, if you’re walking towards Muxia, you will have to take a turnoff that has sometimes been marked but may not be.

The bar has been closed for the season but will re-open in spring, but it is, IMHO, very much worth a detour whether the bar is open or closed!
The bar was closed when we were there in June, sadly, but I agree, the walk is worth it for the beautiful views. I was also lucky enough to join the locals for Sunday Mass. That will be one of the special memories of my Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back