• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage from Finisterre to Santiago with a stopover at Muxia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Considering doing this March,starting with 2 days Finisterre,then Lires,muxia and back to SDC.just wondering if anyone has done this Catherine
Yes, it's very well-marked in both directions now.

When I first walked from Muxia to Santiago (2014), it was only marked in one direction (Santiago to Muxia), and I got lost a few times. The last time (Feb 2020) there were brand new signs pointing both ways.

Buen camino!

Yes, walked it Muxia-Finisterre-SdC in 2018, beautiful and solitary from Muxia-Finnisterre and reasonably well marked (but getting lost is hard if you have a map) and fun if you don’t. Spent an extra day in Muxia at the start to see the church, “boat,” etc. It’s a charming port. Finisterre-SdC is well marked, easy and not very crowded. And the walk along the coast leaving Finisterre is very nice. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Considering doing this March,starting with 2 days Finisterre,then Lires,muxia and back to SDC.just wondering if anyone has done this Catherine
Hi Catherine
I wonder as you are planning this walk if you may be able to help me with some information.
I have been on the Camino 4 times each time carrying a shell for one of my grandchildren. I am now considering doing Muxia, Lires, Finisterre and back to Santiago. Two of my granddaughters, aged 9 and 7, have persuaded their father to all accompany me. I wanted to find out if this route qualified for a Compostella as it would be a shame for them to walk that far and not receive one. Do you know the answer? If they don't qualify, I may opt for doing Ingles with them.
Buen Camino
Vince

Which direction is best: Finnesterre-Muxia or Muxia-FInnesterre?
There is only one route to walk between Finisterre and Muxia. The differences come from whether you want to go first to Muxia or first to Finisterre.

Both routes are the same up to Hospital, which is about 5 km beyond Olveiroa.

Taking the left at that spot and heading to Finisterre first means walking to a beautiful spot on the headlands, then down to Corcubión, and then along the beach to finisterre.

Taking the right and heading first to Muxia gives you the option of sleeping in the beautiful Xunta albergue in Dumbría (financed by the founder of the Zara clothing empire, who is gallego), going by the romanesque church in Moraime, and then down to the coast and into Muxia.

I like the route to Muxia better (but I know lots of people far prefer the beach walk into Finisterre) because of the church, and the countryside. And I also like having Finisterre be my last stop, because even though it is oh so touristy, walking up to the lighthouse for sunset is a pretty unbeatable way to finish your camino. (Though in five or six times there, I have only seen a sunset twice, I think, but still I wouldln’t miss the chance!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is my favourite section of the Camino! I've done it 3 times & each time was a different experience, but all good! Last time was 2019. I like to finish in Muxia, a small fishing village, that just 'spoke to me' the fist time I arrived there. Finisterre is lovely, but way too commercial for me; each time busier. The lighthouse, of course is special, but my feet were so sore the last trip, I actually got a taxi out to the lighthouse after dinner. The taxi guy, noting my flip-flops & swollen feet, asked me if I was heading back to SdC the following morning, but I told him I intended walking to Muxia. It's quite a distance & one of my favourite little villages on Camino, so I wasn't missing it! As (Camino)luck would have it, coincidentally, he was from Muxia, so he offered to pick me up at my albergue the next morning & drop me at Lires, to continue on to Muxia. That took approx 10kms off my trek that day, which was very hot, so it was one of the best decisions I made! I had breakfast at a lovely cafe in Lires & wandered on to Muxia, getting there slowly ... but getting there! 😇

Yes, walked it Muxia-Finisterre-SdC in 2018, beautiful and solitary from Muxia-Finnisterre and reasonably well marked (but getting lost is hard if you have a map) and fun if you don’t. Spent an extra day in Muxia at the start to see the church, “boat,” etc. It’s a charming port. Finisterre-SdC is well marked, easy and not very crowded. And the walk along the coast leaving Finisterre is very nice. Buen Camino
Could not agree more. The half way mark is a fine hotel/ albergue that had great views and a super owner.

I wanted to find out if this route qualified for a Compostella as it would be a shame for them to walk that far and not receive one.
You can qualify for a Compostela if you walk Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago or Fisterra - Muxia - Santiago. The journey has to include both Fisterra and Muxia because walking directly from either town would be well under the cathedral's 100km minimum rule.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Vince I have contacted the pilgrims office regarding the compostela as it is relevant for some of our group but not for me. Others on the forum have confirmed it's OK and as it's over 100km like other routes then I agree. We intend starting at lighthouse, walk to finisterre, lires, muxia and back. Getting a transfer SDC to Finisterre. We walked two caminos 100km with our daughter aged 11 and 15. Great family experience. Sure they get tired but sure don't we all. Enjoy

I only heard about the Compostella the 2nd time, which you get in Muxia at the tourist office
The certificates that you can collect in Fisterra and Muxía aren't Compostelas. They are the Fisterrana and Muxiana.

Information about receiving them here:

And for those walking the Portuguese route you can collect a Pedronía in Padron

Also, the cathedral in Oviedo issues a Salvadorana for those who complete the Camino del Salvador.

Information about all the different certificates that you can collect on various Caminos:

I'm planning on doing the Santiago - Finisterre - Muxía - Santiago loop (in that order) after my CF in May and have found the Wise Pilgrim guidebook (which I ordered from Ivar a while back, not sure if there's an updated edition in the works) and iOS app to be invaluable - along with forum responses like the ones in this thread from those who have walked it before me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Camino Finisterre and Muxia circuit are well marked, you will have no problem following the Yellow Arrows. I've walked it many times, I usually turn due west (to the left) at the Cruce option just beyond Hospital. It's a personal choice, both routes are beautiful but I prefer to end my Camino in Muxia...Buen Camino

Which direction is best: Finnesterre-Muxia or Muxia-FInnesterre?
Good question!

My personal preference has been to end in Muxia after trying it both ways. Muxia has always been a better place for quiet introspection... for me anyway.

HOWEVER, I have no idea as to whether the new Parador in Muxia has changed that since it was established after my time.

B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Vince I have contacted the pilgrims office regarding the compostela as it is relevant for some of our group but not for me. Others on the forum have confirmed it's OK and as it's over 100km like other routes then I agree. We intend starting at lighthouse, walk to finisterre, lires, muxia and back. Getting a transfer SDC to Finisterre. We walked two caminos 100km with our daughter aged 11 and 15. Great family experience. Sure they get tired but sure don't we all. Enjoy
Hi Catherine.
Thank you for this. The girls have wanted to walk ever since they spent week with me in Santiago after my third Camino. I have no agreed that sometime this year we will go to Santiago and then pitch up on one of the routes 100k from there. I was slightly concerned about Muxia, Fistera and SDC as although it is over 100k it is not strictly speaking an official Camino route I would hate them to miss out on a certificate when it is just as easy to go to Ferrol and walk the Ingles but my son-in-law likes the idea of the Muxia route. I usually walk 20 to 25k a day but with them I will only look to do 10k so they don't get too exhausted. It will be the first time I have not gone alone and that in itself presents a challenge for me.
Buen Camino
Vince

You can qualify for a Compostela if you walk Muxia - Fisterra - Santiago or Fisterra - Muxia - Santiago. The journey has to include both Fisterra and Muxia because walking directly from either town would be well under the cathedral's 100km minimum rule.
Thank you for this information. I did realise that qualify you need to do 100k. My concern was that possibly this did not constitute and official route but other have also confirmed this is ok.
Buen Camino
Vince

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
would be well under the cathedral's 100km minimum rule.
A lousy 14kn short , if you walk to the Lighthouse its .....90km .......there should be one.
My 2 bobs worth is a commercial decision by the bosses.
If you commenced @ San Migual or Morgade just out of Sarria it would be similar.
Morgade was the old 100km out .......commercial again

Have walked to Muxia 3 times
Finisterre twice
On 2 occasions we walked to both
Muxia for spiritually , Finisterre for the Lighthouse and completion and an easier way home by bus.
Unless you walk back from either which i believe is next on our list once we get to SDC

Last edited:
A lousy 14kn short , if you walk to the Lighthouse its .....90km .......there should be one.
My 2 bobs worth is a commercial decision by the bosses.
There was no minimum distance rule at the time of my first Camino. You talked to someone on the cathedral staff about your journey and your motivation then they gave you a Compostela. You could ask for and receive a Compostela without having walked at all if the priest agreed that your visit was a spiritual exercise. The 100km rule was introduced around the time of the 1993 Holy Year which marked a massive change in the nature of the Camino. The Xunta saw the potential visitor appeal of the Camino and created the first purpose-built chain of albergues and promoted the Holy Year very vigorously. A very deliberate and remarkably successful marketing exercise.

Last edited:
I've described Finisterre as a busy beach town and Muxia as a quiet seaside village. When adding these towns unto a long camino to SdC you should carefully consider how to end your journey, with contemplation or with a fun celebration. If your camino is just a short one from one of these towns to the other and then unto Santiago then the order is not as important ...

EXCEPT, the bus service is best between Finisterre and Santiago. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When adding these towns unto a long camino to SdC you should carefully consider how to end your journey,
The peace in walking from either Muxia or Finisterre [ vice versa ] was a beautiful feeling Rick.
We commenced in Le Puy nearly 3 months prior .
If they have time i recommend this extension of a few days.

Yes, it's very well-marked in both directions now.

When I first walked from Muxia to Santiago (2014), it was only marked in one direction (Santiago to Muxia), and I got lost a few times. The last time (Feb 2020) there were brand new signs pointing both ways.

Buen camino!
I remember in 2015 i wanted to walk back from Muxia to Santiago, I got lost and i knew it after a while (also walked Olveiroa - Muxia before :) ), but i continued the road, to see where the end is! So i ended up on a nice abandoned beach with one bar, where I had a couple of Estrella's and i excepted my destiny. So i did spend 2 more days in Muxia....

Thank you for this information. I did realise that qualify you need to do 100k. My concern was that possibly this did not constitute and official route but other have also confirmed this is ok.
Buen Camino
Vince
Vince, to get the Compostela you have to walk 100 contiguous km on a recognised route that finished in SDC, supposedly with a religious or spiritual intent.

It might be wise to check with the cathedral to ensure they will issue Compostelas to the children. It certainly used to be the case that the person had to be old enough to understand the religious/spiritual intention. I have no idea if there is any set age, but I know that babies and very young children have been refused. Probably if they are old enough to take first communion? Age for that? I have very limited knowledge of Catholic practises.

Vince, to get the Compostela you have to walk 100 contiguous km on a recognised route that finished in SDC, supposedly with a religious or spiritual intent.

It might be wise to check with the cathedral to ensure they will issue Compostelas to the children. It certainly used to be the case that the person had to be old enough to understand the religious/spiritual intention. I have no idea if there is any set age, but I know that babies and very young children have been refused. Probably if they are old enough to take first communion? Age for that? I have very limited knowledge of Catholic practises.
Hello Kanga
Thank you so much for this, it was a point I had not considered. I have always walked for religious and spiritual reasons. As a family we have many connections to our church. I have been a member of the Parochial Church Council, Parish Treasurer and Junior church Leader. The girls are 9 and 7 and have been fascinated by the Camino since meeting me in Santiago for a week at the end of my second Camino and having been given my shells. it was they who approached me to walk and while they have a good understanding it will be worth my while checking this out.
Buen Camino
Vince

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back