• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre Trip

mamodavis

Time of past OR future Camino
Going to walk the Camino in September 2015 for the first time.
Hi guys, I have researched this a lot, and I can’t quite make up my mind so I am asking for your advice as it getting nearer to us doing the Camino. On our last day when we reach Santiago De Compostela we have planned to stay for two days Now here is where I am stuck Do you think we should take the local bus and do Finisterre on our own trip Or Do the Coach Trip?? I am lost on what to do any advice please.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi! I don't know anything about a coach trip but I took the bus back from Finisterre to Santiago... From memory it takes about 2 hours, there are timetables somewhere on the forum if you do a search... It's pretty straightforward.
Once in Santiago, you can obtain all the details from the Galician tourist office .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi guys, I have researched this a lot, and I can’t quite make up my mind so I am asking for your advice as it getting nearer to us doing the Camino. On our last day when we reach Santiago De Compostela we have planned to stay for two days Now here is where I am stuck Do you think we should take the local bus and do Finisterre on our own trip Or Do the Coach Trip?? I am lost on what to do any advice please.
Depending on your timeline it is a very nice walk...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, last year my wife and I took the bus back to Santiago after walking from Santiago to Finisterre. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I prefer to find 2-3 other pilgrims and rent a taxi.
For pretty much the same price as the bus (which takes you round trip to Finisterre), you can hire a taxi to take you to Finisterre, stay as long as you want, take you to Muxia, stay as long as you want, then return. You go on your own schedule (within reason) and can have lunch at either place and be home in time for dinner. Taxis can be found around the side of San Martin Pinareo and you can negotiate with the drivers there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's a beautiful quite walk from SdC to Finisterre with mostly die-hard pilgrims. If you have three days to spare I definitely recommend it!
(Personally I would rather take the walk to Finisterre then staying in SdC)

What is the "coach trip" you're talking about?

If you have time get off the bus at Cee and walk last few kms to Finisterre....the coast route is really beautiful when the sun is out...

Thank you all so much for the great replys the Taxi sounds a good idea and we can would out a deal with him for the day, that way we wont be rushing back for a bus, the day trip is
Coach & Day Trips - CaminoWays.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Santiago is a good place to use up a day if that's all you have.

Finisterre is a nice place that is best accessed by walking from Santiago for four days.

Going there and back on the same day by bus (which is a long bus trip) allows perhaps two hours to explore. Monbus is the service provider.

"OH" I heard Finisterre was a place not to be missed I thought We could go for the day, now I'm all mixed up again. I have a day in Santiago in place as I have also heard it is a lovely City.

If I only had one day I'd spend it in Santiago, not Finisterre. Just for fun I looked up the Michelin Touring Guide. It gives Santiago de Compostela 3 stars (the top rating) and Finisterre none. I love Finisterre and the coastal ports, but would not miss Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with Kanga that if the choice is between one day in Santiago or one in Finisterre, I would definitely pick Santiago.

I also think that a lot (most?) of the raves about Finistere come from people who walk there. It is just an awesome experience to walk west till you can walk no further. And if you're lucky enough to see the sunset, wow wow. But as fishing villages go, it is pretty, yes, but there are many other very pretty seaside villages along the coast in Spain. I know beauty is very subjective, but I think many would agree that some of the seaside towns and villages along the Norte are much "prettier."

My first Camino ended in Santiago and we took a bus to Finisterre and spent a night there. Enjoyable, some good food, but it absolutely didn't pack the same punch as when I have walked there. But maybe that's just me. I'm not trying to discourage people from going there in a bus or a car, but just think that the experience is very different when you walk. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi @mamodavis, I suggest that you just wait and see how you feel when you get to Santiago. The tourist office has lots of helpful information about the options for visiting Finisterre. However, you may find that you just want to spend a day pilgrim-watching and wandering around the city.

For what it's worth, I agree with @Kanga and @peregrina2000 's comments re Finisterre. Walking to Finisterre and spending time there is a great experience. IMO, a day trip there mightn't be the best use of your limited time.

"OH" I heard Finisterre was a place not to be missed I thought We could go for the day, now I'm all mixed up again. I have a day in Santiago in place as I have also heard it is a lovely City.

You heard wrong. Finisterre is a place to be experienced ... and you won't do that in the time between bus arrival and bus departure.

You wouldn't gulp back a glass of wine, instead you read the label, sniff the cork, swirl it in your glass, smell it, taste it, and savor it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One thing is for sure, don't do the coach thing, just get on a regular bus from the bus station. And do NOT go on a Sunday when all the coaches will be in ruining it. A day there is just fine. Not much to see or do. But you can say you've been there. Muxia is more much special, and sitting on the rocks at sunset with the church just behind you wonderful. But if you don't know Santiago, you may well want to just stay there, visit the market, take the rooftop tour, visit the current pilgrim exhibit at the cultural center, the museum of the Galician people etc.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back