• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finisterre

TennKeith

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018
How many continue on to Finisterre? How long does it take from Santiago? I would consider extending my trip if its worth the time and additional cost to change my flight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In 2012 I was absolutely alone walking to Finisterre, 2 years ago there were about 6 of us (but not walking together, just meeting at times).
I liked it, especially the first time. Did it in two days then, three days in 2016.
Really depends on your mood and how you feel.
The walk Finisterre to Muxia is roughly 30km, can be done in one go or stop half way in Lires.
Again, really depends on how you feel.
If you're short of time, you could always take a bus?

In 2012 I was absolutely alone walking to Finisterre, 2 years ago there were about 6 of us (but not walking together, just meeting at times).
I liked it, especially the first time. Did it in two days then, three days in 2016.
Really depends on your mood and how you feel.
The walk Finisterre to Muxia is roughly 30km, can be done in one go or stop half way in Lires.
Again, really depends on how you feel.
If you're short of time, you could always take a bus?
We are taking the bus tour tomorrow! Sitting here with a couple of other pilgrims discussing the zero km marker. Where is 0 km? All of our markers along the Camino Frances were measuring to Santiago cathedral, right?

Yes, and then the markers from SDC to Finisterre measure to there. The 0.0 km marker is as you walk to the Finisterre lighthouse. It's in my avatar/picture.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found the Santiago to Finisterre to be my favorite segment of the Camino. The influx of pilgrims in Sarria changes the experience. For me, the walk to Finisterre was a relaxing with less crowd and less pressure to find a bed. Because some pilgrims walk the reverse, you actually greet pilgrims coming towards you, which was unique after the month of one way traffic of the Camino Frances. I found the notion of walking to the end of the earth romantic, and I found the rituals at the end (walking to the lighthouse at sunset, burning an item of clothing, wading in the sea) more satisfying than the rituals in Santiago. In retrospect, my only regret was not having an extra day to get include Muxia.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.