• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finland

julie rajala

What is the best way to travel from Finland to St Jean? Should I fly Helsinki to Paris, then take the train. Or Helsinki to Dublin, then Dublin to Biarritz. ??? Appreciate any advice, experience.

Julie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hei Julie,

You asked for advice or experience, unfortunately I don´t have them becouse I started my camino frances from Roncesvalles, but I just want to welcome you - If you have any other questions regarding to camino&Finland I try to answer you if I can :wink:. I bet you´ll get some good advices to this one from others in this forum.

Heloise, from Hamina

The Ryanair flights to Stansted do not make for a good connection and the BA/Finnair flights go into Heathrow so the UK is not a good place to go through. Using Ryanair and connecting two flights is always risky as they will take no responsibility if your first flight is delayed or cancelled for subsequent costs of missed flights etc.

I would go via Paris and train to Bayonne and then SJPP. You used to be able to catch a train from CDG and avoid Paris (if you want to) but I do not know the current schedules.

Buen Camino

William

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Julie,
just checked some flights to Spain; this year Easy Jet started flying from Helsinki to London Gatwick.
There are quite cheap connections to Biarriz . Last year I took Ryanair flights were the cheapest. Istarted walking from Ponferrada and flew to Valladolid.
Buen camino! Hyvää vaellusta! Tuulis

Re: Finland - SJPP

Hi J, if you live in Helsinki and want to start your camino in summer 2009, try Blue1. Blue1 will fly from Helsinki to Biarritz 23.6. – 14.8. (tuesdays and fridays). From Biarritz you can take a bus to Bayonne and from there the train to St Jean Pied de Port.
From Santiago you can take Ryanair to London (11:35 Depart 12:40 Arrive) and from there again Ryanair to Tampere (17:55 Depart 22:35 Arrive).
Buen camino!

Hi,

I'll take Blue1 flight to Biarritz. It,s quite early in the morning so you can start walking on the same day at least to Orisson. From Santiago I'll take Spanair flight to Barcelona and then Blue1 flight to Helsinki.

(Ainakin ebookersin nettisivulta pystyt ostamaan kyseisen yhteyden samalla lipulla, koska siellä on mahdollista valita paluu eri kohteesta. Maksoi reilut kolmesataa. Ei ole ihan halvin, mutta luotettavampi kuin halpisten vaihdolliset yhteydet.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
I don´t excatly know my schedule when I´m in Santiago or how many days to spend there. Where can I book my Ryanair tickets to London and to Tampere. Anybody done it?
-T-

Timo said:
Hello,
I don´t excatly know my schedule when I´m in Santiago or how many days to spend there. Where can I book my Ryanair tickets to London and to Tampere. Anybody done it?
-T-

Moro Timo,
Ryanair tickets are sold only in Internet (in companys web page). The rates vary and check out for Ryanair´s special offers. I think that the tickets are chepiest if you buy them maybe three-four months in advance.

Santiago de Compostela - London Stanstedt
11:20 Depart 12:25 Arrive

London Stanstedt - Tampere
17:55 Depart 22:35 Arrive

Terve,
I´m back. The eye operation went well. Now I have to live peacefully and calmly. Nothing physical. Walking in in low speed. The stiches will be taken away the next March. I hope time is on my side.
-T-

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,I´m starting from Roncesvalles end of May and I will fly from Helsinki to Barcelona by Blue1 and take a train to Pamplona. Flying tickets were little less than 300 euros and the train will be about 40 euros.

leenas

Hello Julie and other finns! There seems to be quite many options, on who to get to Camino from Finland :) ..I´m starting from Saint Jean Pied de Port on may and I'll fly from Helsinki to Paris by Blue1 and take the night train to Bayonne. From Bayonne i'll take the morning train to SJPDP and i'm planning to walk at the same day to Orisson. From Santiago I have booked Vueling flight to Barcelona and Blue1 to Helsinki. Flying tickets (all together) were about 270 euros and the night train about 60 euros (couchette). It may not be the easiest or the cheapest way to travel, to and off the Camino, but i thought it would be a great experience to start my Camino by visiting Paris and traveling through France, and then finishing the trip by spending a day in Barcelona.

Buen Camino a todos! :)
-Veera

terve! The same here- I´ll take a flight to Paris (from Stockholm) continue by TGV to SJPP with a change in Bayonne and take into a hotel the first night in SJPP ready to walk the day after to Orisson. I´ll fly back from Barcelona - will spend 5 days outside the city in Sitges having some more holiday. If you make your bookings long time before planning everything well it won´t be expensive.

This was to best way for me - wanted to spend some time on the Meriterranian cost before coming home.

moimoi
anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
anniethenurse said:
take into a hotel the first night in SJPP
Moimoi Anne,
you´ll stay in hotel because you´ll arrive late to SJPP, did I get it right? And in the next morning you´ll get your credencial from office?
If you want, you can get the credencial also before your camino. Then you could stay also the first night in albergue (but of course the night in hotel will give you better sleep).

¡Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back