• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finnisterre --> Madrid

beingmarci

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria -> Santiago->Finnistre (2015)
Hi, (first time walker AND post-er)

I'm planning on doing a condensed Camino (I'm using a guided tour) and it ends in Santiago. But, I would like to continue on my own and walk to Finnisterre. I'm just not sure how I can get back to Madrid afterwards (no flying). does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
beingmarci,

Welcome to the Forum!

You might take a bus from Finisterre back to Santiago and then a train to Madrid.

When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela before walking to Finisterre/Muxia
DO stop at the Galicia Tourist Office/Oficina de Turismo de Galicia in Santiago at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral. They have a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is most helpful.

Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:

I'm planning on doing a condensed Camino (I'm using a guided tour) and it ends in Santiago. But, I would like to continue on my own and walk to Finnisterre. I'm just not sure how I can get back to Madrid afterwards (no flying). does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Welcome to the forum :)

First you have to take the bus from Fisterra (in Gallego, = Finisterre in Castillian Spanish) to SdC which you can check out here:
http://www.monbus.es/es
I looked for June 1st and there are 5 buses: 08:20, 11:45, 15:00, 16:45 & 19:00. The ride takes approx.3hrs.

Then you have to get to SdC train station. If I remember correctly there is a bus stop there or somewhere near before the SdC bus station so I guess you should check that out.

For trains to Madrid check Renfe site:
http://www.renfe.com/
Again for June 1st there are 5 trains at: 08:34, 09:05, 13:30, 16:05 & 22:33. Prices varied between 21,70-31,70€ and the rides takes between 6-9,5hrs.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the forum :)

First you have to take the bus from Fisterra (in Gallego, = Finisterre in Castillian Spanish) to SdC which you can check out here:
http://www.monbus.es/es
I looked for June 1st and there are 5 buses: 08:20, 11:45, 15:00, 16:45 & 19:00. The ride takes approx.3hrs.

Then you have to get to SdC train station. If I remember correctly there is a bus stop there or somewhere near before the SdC bus station so I guess you should check that out.

For trains to Madrid check Renfe site:
http://www.renfe.com/
Again for June 1st there are 5 trains at: 08:34, 09:05, 13:30, 16:05 & 22:33. Prices varied between 21,70-31,70€ and the rides takes between 6-9,5hrs.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ultreia!
Thanks so much! The train looks lovely, and relaxing. I'm still convinced this isn't really happening ;))

beingmarci,

Welcome to the Forum!

You might take a bus from Finisterre back to Santiago and then a train to Madrid.

When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela before walking to Finisterre/Muxia
DO stop at the Galicia Tourist Office/Oficina de Turismo de Galicia in Santiago at 30 rua do Vilar near the cathedral. They have a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes food shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is most helpful.

Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith
Thanks so much! I as a bit worried about getting lost along this part of the route (I'v heard it's not uite as well marked, so it ill be really helpful to visit the tourism office. THANKS!!

Two weeks ago I was in finisterre and I went back to SDC on the bus. A beautiful ride along the coast. In SdC I arrived at the busstation and I got on another bus (Alsa) to the airport in Madrid. It is a 9 hour ride but I avoided the hassel of arriving at the trainstation in Madrid and then going to the airport. It was a long ride but very beautifull in Galicia and we went by Ponteferrada and Astorga (I think) which is on The Frances and I saw the yellow arrows again. I almost got of the bus!
Do not worry about walking to Finisterre, it is well marked and you will not get lost. It is a beautiful walk and so great walking into Finisterre along the beach.
Buen Camino to you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks so much! I as a bit worried about getting lost along this part of the route (I'v heard it's not uite as well marked, so it ill be really helpful to visit the tourism office. THANKS!!

It is very, very well marked and it has become very popular, you won't be alone or get lost.

OK, I might get myself in hot water here, but why on earth do you use a tour operator on the CF? There is really no reason for it unless you have really special requirements/needs. As for the travel back to Santiago and Madrid, you have already gotten good advice. Buen Camino! SY

OK, I might get myself in hot water here, but why on earth do you use a tour operator on the CF? There is really no reason for it unless you have really special requirements/needs. As for the travel back to Santiago and Madrid, you have already gotten good advice. Buen Camino! SY

Not with me you won't SY , i agree with you 1000%
I think Marci will be ok once she has finished in Santiago , it might dawn on her that she maybe could have done the walking/planning thing on her own and that the last 100km to Muxia/Finisterre will be just a walk with a few people keeping her company.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?
Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.