• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fireworks will not return to Obradoiro

peregrina2000

Staff member
A Spanish friend, with whom I once crammed into Obradoiro to see the show, just sent me a link to an article describing the decision that has been made to permanently move the Saint’s day fireworks to some (still unknown) new location. After four centuries! I suppose it is not surprising, but it was such a wonderful event there. The light show will stay put, and it is possible that the fireworks will go to Alameda, but no decision has been made.

The story is here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am glad that I had the opportunity to be there in 2003.

Not surprising at all that the fireworks will be moved to a different location.

I went straight to Xacopedia to see whether the claim about 400 years of fireworks for the Apostle's Day was true. Then I puzzled for a long time about the quema de un castillo. Did they burn a castle? Was it a paper castle? Did the fireworks set a castle on fire? Is it a Spanish expression for a Catherine wheel?

Thank goodness for El Correo Gallego and their article of today about Hubo luces antes que Ofrenda. :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
another fascinating gem
And there we had been thinking it was just beautiful fireworks ... 🤭. Below is a photo from before 1992 when they apparently used pyrotechnical explosives to make it look like the artificial mudéjar façade was set on fire. They changed not only the motif but also the location of the artificial façade, further away from the Cathedral building because of the damage the explosives did to the Cathedral's structure every year, and eventually abandoned this altogether a few years ago. The bull run had also disappeared at some point in time. They have also stopped offering 1.000 gold coins to the Apostle and his terrestrial representatives on his feast day. So far, the Apostle's Day has survived such changes, and I'm confident that it will survive this newest one, too ...

PP: Some interesting images, including the artificial Gothic façade for the festivities, are here. These façades are called "castle" in Spanish. And, please, someone correct me if I didn't understand something correctly, my Spanish rests on shaky grounds.

Facade mujedar.jpg

Last edited:
And there we had been thinking it was just beautiful firework. They changed not only the motif but also the location of the artificial façade, further away from the Cathedral building because of the damage the explosives did to the Cathedral's structure every year, and eventually abandoned this altogether a few years ago. The bull run had also disappeared at some point in time. They had also stopped offering 1.000 gold coins .

View attachment 68866
It was a corrida (bullfight) no a encierro ( bull run).
Galicia doesn't have any tradition in both activities, so it is not strange that the corrida disappeared.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was a corrida (bullfight) not a encierro ( bull run).
Thank you! I will be finally able to keep them apart now. Corrida looked like it has something to do with correr/running and encierro looked like it has something to do with encerrar/in an enclosure but it ain't so and it's just the opposite of what I was imagining. ☺

Thank you! I will be finally able to keep them apart now. Corrida looked like it has something to do with correr/running and encierro looked like it has something to do with encerrar/in an enclosure but it ain't so and it's just the opposite of what I was imagining. ☺
Yes, I inderstand the confusion. The original objective of the Sanfermines encierros is to drive 6 bulls from a place (stable) with capacity for around 50 animals (for the whole feria) to enclose (encerrar) them into the bullring stable (smaller) for the afternoon bullfight.
Running is a consequence of the activity that has become the most important.

Yes, I inderstand the confusion. The original objective of the Sanfermines encierros is to drive 6 bulls from a place (stable) with capacity for around 50 animals (for the whole feria) to enclose (encerrar) them into the bullring stable (smaller) for the afternoon bullfight. Running is a consequence of the activity that has become the most important.
Thank you again for your explanations. This is the first time that these two words that I've seen many times before make sense to me.

And please everyone, don't spoil it for us: this is a conversation about specifics of the festivities around the Apostle's feast day in Santiago, especially the fireworks, and the changing nature of these festivities, and not an occasion for fervently expressing personal opinions about the topic that is covered by rule #2 to which you agreed when you joined the forum. 🤓

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just once I saw the fireworks at the ending of the festivities around St.james Day in SdC and I've watched it while sitting on the front stairs of the Seminario Menor. Just a perfect spot to enjoy it and not breaking the neck ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, I inderstand the confusion. The original objective of the Sanfermines encierros is to drive 6 bulls from a place (stable) with capacity for around 50 animals (for the whole feria) to enclose (encerrar) them into the bullring stable (smaller) for the afternoon bullfight.
Running is a consequence of the activity that has become the most important.
Here is a picture of the place where Pamplona's encierro starts.
IMG_20191112_145945.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back