• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Aid Kit

Maggie97520

Time of past OR future Camino
CDF Fall 2013, CDF Spring 2014
I'm in the final countdown before leaving for SJPdP - woohoo! I can barely wait to get in the plane.

It's probably just a result of last minute jitters, but I'm feeling like my first aid kit is way over the top. Would anyone be willing to share what they have found to be a successful kit? I understand I can buy just about anything I need along the way, I'm just wondering what I should pack as a standard "don't leave SJPdP without this in your med kit."

In the meantime, thanks everyone - the forum has been a brilliant resource for learning, laughter, and new friendships. I've truly appreciative everyone's wisdom while I've prepared for my first Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Maggie97520

A simple basic first aid kit is usually more than sufficient . If you do need something more you shall be able to get it along the way without any problem.

Buen Camino!

I am cautious, and because I have some regular medications, probably take too much. But in terms of first aid, my small walking first aid pack comprises:
  • small pack of band-aids/fabric strips
  • a couple of alcohol swabs
  • a scalpel blade
  • scissors
  • tube of Betedine (iodone) ointment
  • roll of Omniplast tape (2.5cm wide)
  • roll of Micropore tape (1cm wide)
  • 5cmx1.8m elastic gauze bandage
  • disposable triangular bandage
  • a couple of disposable gloves
For long walks, I add paracetamol, my own medications, a couple of sachets of re-hydrating salts, strapping tape, a 5cm wide elastic bandage and a small collection of blister fixers - compeed or similar, fixomul, and moleskin.

I carry enough blister repair stuff for a couple of rounds of treatment, but if you want to save weight, carry enough for the immediate first aid of a blister, and if you then develop one, restock at a farmacia. Much the same for analgesia and other treatments you don't need to take regularly. If you are really keen on saving weight, have one day's supply in a small (well labelled) ziploc bag and get some more if you use those.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Doug and MindyWalker ... I am grateful for your suggestions. It looks like I might be able to trim my med-kit down a little bit more.

Remember that all you need to include in your backpack is your credit card is light in weight but very handy at times. You should be able to find all you need along the way.

Buen Camino!

I'm in the final countdown before leaving for SJPdP - woohoo! I can barely wait to get in the plane.

It's probably just a result of last minute jitters, but I'm feeling like my first aid kit is way over the top. Would anyone be willing to share what they have found to be a successful kit? I understand I can buy just about anything I need along the way, I'm just wondering what I should pack as a standard "don't leave SJPdP without this in your med kit."

In the meantime, thanks everyone - the forum has been a brilliant resource for learning, laughter, and new friendships. I've truly appreciative everyone's wisdom while I've prepared for my first Camino.
Take band aids for your blisters!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took all kinds of things, but what I used most I actually bought on the way: Compeed, a roll of Omnifix tape, ibuprofen (tablets and gel). The Ibuprofin gel was great massaged into aching feet at bedtime. Buen Camino!

Good suggestions above.
I always bring a few wound cleansing wipes, too.
And Tiger balm. :)

I start my first Camino September 23 from SJPP, so I'm a newbie to this particular walk, but in the past on backpacking trips my first aid kit has been whittled down over the years to only duct tape, which I carry wrapped around my water bottle and peel off as needed. The duct tape works as a band aid for cuts, blister pad for blisters, and support wrap for sprains. Of course I wash cuts off before applying duct tape to minimize infection. I can't imagine I would need more on the Camino, but then, the Camino teaches us, doesn't it?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Doug and MindyWalker ... I am grateful for your suggestions. It looks like I might be able to trim my med-kit down a little bit more.

It would be easier for us if you tell us what is already in it ;-) And remember it is called First Aid Kit for a reason, you really need only the absolute minimum that gets you to the next place with a pharmacy. Buen Camino! SY

I am cautious, and because I have some regular medications, probably take too much. But in terms of first aid, my small walking first aid pack comprises:
  • small pack of band-aids/fabric strips
  • a couple of alcohol swabs
  • a scalpel blade
  • scissors
  • tube of Betedine (iodone) ointment
  • roll of Omniplast tape (2.5cm wide)
  • roll of Micropore tape (1cm wide)
  • 5cmx1.8m elastic gauze bandage
  • disposable triangular bandage
  • a couple of disposable gloves
For long walks, I add paracetamol, my own medications, a couple of sachets of re-hydrating salts, strapping tape, a 5cm wide elastic bandage and a small collection of blister fixers - compeed or similar, fixomul, and moleskin.

I carry enough blister repair stuff for a couple of rounds of treatment, but if you want to save weight, carry enough for the immediate first aid of a blister, and if you then develop one, restock at a farmacia. Much the same for analgesia and other treatments you don't need to take regularly. If you are really keen on saving weight, have one day's supply in a small (well labelled) ziploc bag and get some more if you use those.

Regards

I like that list Doug - for personal use adding the long walk extras - only things I would add would be a small tube of anti-biotic/painkiller cream such as Germoline, Iborofen or Voltaren Gel, and perhaps pack the 'finger' plaster strips, they are longer than normal fabric plasters so can be curled right round fingers or toes.
You know, as a veteran, - you can go for weeks without needing any of that stuff - but when you do need it it needs to be there. (and one can help other pilgrims!).

Here's a list of what I have (excluding prescriptions)
Adventure Medical Ultra-Light .5 - NSAIDS removed (I'm allergic to them)
Moleskin (2)
Blister Treatment envelope (1)
SkinTac Wipe (1)
Tylenol 500 tablets (12)
Traumeel Cream (1/2 tube)
Rescue Remedy (1 small bottle)
Vaseline (1 small tube)
New Skin Liquid Bandage (1)
Arnica 30C
Anti-diarrheal Tablets (6)
Ace Bandage (1)
Total weight is 340 grams

Scissors are on my pocket knife. Tweezers are included in the kit. What do you think?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here's a list of what I have (excluding prescriptions)
Adventure Medical Ultra-Light .5 - NSAIDS removed (I'm allergic to them)
Moleskin (2)
SkinTac Wipe (1)
Tylenol 500 tablets (12)
Vaseline (1 small tube)
Arnica 30C
Ace Bandage (1)
Total weight is 340 grams

Scissors are on my pocket knife. Tweezers are included in the kit. What do you think?

Ehm, what you post and what is listed under the link you gave doesn't really add up for me. I also have the suspicion that the heaviest item in that kit is the bag it is in. What does your balance say if you replace said bag with a normal zip-lock bag? Here my thought to the items you listed:

Moleskin - IMO nor fish nor meat if you forgive the analogy. Might cause similar problems like Compeed when taking it off (ripping the thin skin covering some blisters also off when removed) and when treating rubbed away skin Compeed is certainly better.

Blister Treatment envelope and SkinTac Wipe - No idea what that means ???

Tylenol - How may will you need until you reach the next pharmacy?

Traumeel Cream / Rescue Remedy - Works for some people, but not for others. If you haven't used it successfully before I would leave it at home.

Vaseline - There are better, fattier, foot creams around ...

New Skin Liquid Bandage - Can be replaced with Compeed.

Arnica 30C - Why?

Ace Bandage - Is that like an elastic bandage to stabilize a strained ankle? If yes, take it.

Hope that helps, SY

We take a pack of Diarolyte rehydration salts as well as the anti diarroeah tablets. They can be used after tummy upsets, but are also good for replacing salts etc lost through sweating. If you get cramp your body is short of salts.
Apart from that we carry sticking plasters and a tiny tube (15gm) of Savlon (antiseptic cream), spirit wipes to clean wounds and a tiny pot of Ibuleve (decanted from the tube). Our tubigrips (knee supports) are often on, or in a pocket. Mini scissors are in our Victorinox 'Swiss Card'. A part pot of foot powder (Spanish) starts us off and we replace if needed or as we head for home - we use it here too.

This year we had to buy me some cough medicine right at the end of our time in Spain - the farmacias are always very helpful.

Thanks SY. I had already replaced the bag with a baggie. The reason why the first aid kit link doesn't match the list is because the listed items are what I added
Tylenol: Will reduce to just a couple
Blister Treatment: two blister-type gel bandaid thingies in one packet.
Traumeel/Rescue remedy/Arnica: I'm an old-time user of alternative remedies
Ace-Bandage: yes, it's an elastic bandage
Vaseline: What product do you prefer? I've only tried vaseline.
Moleskin: Not a big fan either, but wasn't sure what else to use and have had no experience with Compeed.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Any fat based foot cream will work, what is available for me in Europe will not be available for you but if you can lay your hands on a tube of Hirschtalg, that would be ideal! SY

Maggie97520 you can also go to a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist (with proper education) to help you with your first aid kit. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... The reason why the first aid kit link doesn't match the list is because the listed items are what I added

OK, if you still need help, and want to save us some headaches (which would require Tylenol, lol) Can you post your complete list of what is in your First Aid Kit - pretty please? SY

Sorry about that - the hurrier I go, the behinder I get (an old saying my auntie used to tell me).
the whole list is:
Bandage Materials
4 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
2 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
2 Bandage, Butterfly Closure
1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 2"
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
1 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
spacer.gif

Blister / Burn
1 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces)
spacer.gif

Instrument
2 Safety Pins
and additions (not yet adjusted per feedback from forum members)
SkinTac Wipe (1)
Tylenol 500 tablets (12)
Vaseline (1 small tube)
Arnica 30C
Ace Bandage (1)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.