• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first aid on Camino Sept to Oct

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all, I have been delayed by a family situation but am now leaving for the Camino on Thursday, hope to be at St Jean by the weekend and visiting Roncesvalles by Sunday or Monday afternoon, then moving downstream.

For those who don't know, I offer first aid to pilgrims. I will be moving around quite a bit, mainly the area around Los Arcos and Puente la Reina and then the Meseta, where I will be based at Castrojeriz, so the 'first half' really, no further westwards. I take a car and caravan, basing them on a campsite and then use my bicycle to cover some Camino miles each day.

Look out for me dressed in brown and with a large green first aid kit - please do say hello if you see me.!!! Though, saying that ...... if Scotland vote YES I may be wearing my Kilt! (Clan Horsburgh tartan).

I will check my forum messages each evening so should you be in dire need leave a message (with a phone number or phone number of the refuge you are in) and I will try to help. This isn't for ordinary first aid of course but if something has happened and you are really stuck, or need to get to an airport, boots stolen and miles from a town - that sort of thing - if it isn't too far and I can help I will help.

(Not that that is going to happen, you will all have wonderful autumnal Caminos!!!).

Buen Camino!

p.s. look after your feet!!!! ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi David -

I add my very best wishes for a wonderful First Aid Camino. Lucky are those pilgrims in need of first aid or help who meet you. They'll receive guaranteed first-class treatment, care and conversation.

All Forum members on the Camino at the moment - look out for "our" David!

Buen First Aid Camino -

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh dear - will a "yes" vote is Scotland mean hoards of hairy legs in skirts? I'm not sure my sensibilities can cope!

David, great work you are doing, a kilt might just frighten those blisters into submission. Hope the weather is kind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola David - so glad to see that Vote or No vote you are still doing your St James imitations. Whether you have lots of customers or note is not really important (imho) - hopefully all pilgrims will stop and spend a few minutes or more discussing the news of the day. We here in Oz will look on with interest to the news from Scotland on Friday.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I could always, no maybe not !!!!! So pleased you can help other pilgrims David in a kilt or not.

Buen camino David

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Woman "tell me, is anything worn under the kilt?" Man in kilt "no madam, it is all in perfect working order" :);)
Hola David - Well as you and our friends "north of border" now know it was a NAE (NO) to dissolve the Union with the Sassenachs (English to the rest of us). Maybe it will have be a wee toast to common sense with that 18 year old single malt I picked up in Dubai last time. God Save the Queen!!!

So no kilt wearing then - I found that I was both saddened and relieved, a strange mix ... I do like the UK!

So - first aid on a bit of a back burner now as I have broken down south of Bordeaux. Had just pulled in to a service station and engine wouldn't start again. Looks like the electronic engine management system. Guy that runs the breakdown garage had a good look before he went off again for the tow truck - he can't fix it and Rover electronics boffins are a bit thin on the ground here (can you imagine a French person buying a Rover? exactly).

So now I m off the motorway I am about to call my recovery people in the uk and take it from there - not many people get to holiday in France at the back of a garage!!

Funnily enough I am actually on a Camino! Route de Compostelle, Lavignolle, which is the Tours route but no pilgrims of course - just me!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, David.
This is such a great news.
But I really wish I would not need to use that first aid kit. ;)
Still if I see you, I'll say hello to you.
You are an angel, for sure. :)

Last edited:
Hi David -
I second Doug's sentiments above. Every best wish for a financially satisfactory and timely solution to your car problems.
If you see any waymarkers in or around the village, please take a photo and share it with us - it would be fantastic to see a photo "Live" from Lavignolle.
Cheers - Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I sincerely hope you'll get your car fixed, David - "May the car be with you".

Your first aid idea is a brilliant one, IMHO: Next time I will take more stuff with me to help firsttime pilgrims, mainly with feet problems. I've had to do it before, but then had to rely on only my personal supplies. Will bring more next time.

And how strange: Many times, I have observed that the young ones, and the strong ones, are often the people who end up with feet problems, overestimating their capabilities, while the lazy old ones (yes, you and me ;) ) just stroll along with minor problems.

Advice: Listen to your feet and body, and stop for rest/sleep when your body tells you to.

All the best, Camino brother,

Last edited:
all good stuff! Thank you. Have been told 3,000 Euros to repair it - I laughed so much .. simply absurd - so am going home, no choice - but all is well!
Scrapping car tomorrow, repatriating the caravan to my house and taking the train home - insurers wanted to fly me home - more laughter ... they fall out of the sky you know ... looking forward to the train journey .... sorry no first aiding - what can you do ...

David, this is very sad, but there must be some purpose as yet unknown. Hopefully you will find a reliable car soon and be able to 'first aid' again in the future. Have a safe journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for your kindness, but, truth to tell, I find myself laughing - it is just the universe presenting itself, the absurd universe presenting itself

Hamlet Act 2 Scene 2 - "for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".

I will return in the spring, perhaps - who knows ...

All is well, all is always well ;)

Buen Camino!

Aah David - talk about 'expect the unexpected'!!!:eek:

So many of our Forum members have had their Caminos interrupted this year - you join a very special group of people. For all those members, may 2015 see all of your plans come to fruition.

Great to hear that All Is Well, All Is Always Well -

Very best wishes for a safe journey back home -

Cheers - Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
all good stuff! Thank you. Have been told 3,000 Euros to repair it - I laughed so much .. simply absurd - so am going home, no choice - but all is well!
Scrapping car tomorrow, repatriating the caravan to my house and taking the train home - insurers wanted to fly me home - more laughter ... they fall out of the sky you know ... looking forward to the train journey .... sorry no first aiding - what can you do ...

Hi David,
Let me know if you need any help with transport home when you reach this side of the water.
Best
John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back