• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Albergue experience ever - What is the norm?

sofronii

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone!

I have never ever stayed in an albergue. I have gotten the idea (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) from my guidebook, and whatever I have heard - that you just turn up, maybe need to queue, and hope for the best (i.e. - that they have a bed and space for you).
Is there any norm/need that I contact the albergue in advance to make a booking at all, to let them know I plan to come and stay with them?
Maybe even for the very first albergue that I'm going to stay in St. Jean?
Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Sophia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Sofia

Let me start at the beginning of your journey, it is recommended that you have a prior booking for accommodation in SJPDP, having said that it depend on when you are travelling. In the busy season I think you should, but really early or late in the year this is not so important because there should be less pilgrims around.
You will find that when you visit the pilgrim office in SJPDP part from giving you the route details they will ask you if you have somewhere to stay, should your answer is NO then they will find somewhere for you, so not all is lost.

Now thing are slightly different when you have started your journey, there are Albergues that you can book ahead for and ones that you can't. For example you will find a lot of private Albergues in most of the stopping places, these you can book ahead, a lot of people use booking.com for these.
The Albergues that you cannot book ahead for are what is known as the Municipal /Domitivo Albergues (i
I think I've got that right). With these you just turn up and hope for the best, if you come to an Albergue that has the sign COMPLTO hanging on the outside it means it's full.

Whether you book or not it's all about preference, on my journeys I've never booked and always found a bed and hot shower, for me not knowing where I was going to lay me head that night was all part of the excitement. I don't want you to think it's an age thing I was 68 when I travelled on my first pilgrimage.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope this helps. If I've got anything wrong someone will come along and correct me.

Have a wonderful journey and just go with the flow.

You can call in advance any albergue but municipal and parochial ones will only tell you how many places are still available. Private ones OTOH will accept your reservation.
I think it would be wise to make reservation for SJPdP/Orisson/Roncesvalles but further along the way just wing it.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It all will depend on your tolerance for uncertainty (and perhaps chaos). Many pilgrims are calling ahead, so most private albergues now take reservations. The later you stop in the day, the fewer choices you will have. All the beds in town may be filled in the published stage-end towns (cities all have enough beds that the issue will become price, not whether there is a bed). Avoid them, and you will have a better chance for an open bed. Of course, they fill during the busy times, not in December!

Hi Sofia

Let me start at the beginning of your journey, it is recommended that you have a prior booking for accommodation in SJPDP, having said that it depend on when you are travelling. In the busy season I think you should, but really early or late in the year this is not so important because there should be less pilgrims around.
You will find that when you visit the pilgrim office in SJPDP part from giving you the route details they will ask you if you have somewhere to stay, should your answer is NO then they will find somewhere for you, so not all is lost.

Now thing are slightly different when you have started your journey, there are Albergues that you can book ahead for and ones that you can't. For example you will find a lot of private Albergues in most of the stopping places, these you can book ahead, a lot of people use booking.com for these.
The Albergues that you cannot book ahead for are what is known as the Municipal /Domitivo Albergues (i
I think I've got that right). With these you just turn up and hope for the best, if you come to an Albergue that has the sign COMPLTO hanging on the outside it means it's full.

Whether you book or not it's all about preference, on my journeys I've never booked and always found a bed and hot shower, for me not knowing where I was going to lay me head that night was all part of the excitement. I don't want you to think it's an age thing I was 68 when I travelled on my first pilgrimage.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope this helps. If I've got anything wrong someone will come along and correct me.

Thanks Waka your reply has laid my mind to rest as it was a question I have asked myself. I am flying to Biaritz on the 29th. April and from then on I am bricking it to be honest. Thanks

Thanks Waka your reply has laid my mind to rest as it was a question I have asked myself. I am flying to Biaritz on the 29th. April and from then on I am bricking it to be honest. Thanks

Hi Frank,

Really don't worry about it, there will always be a bed! It may mean walking a little further or taking a quick taxi journey (you can always return to the place you caught it if your concience is nagging) but you won't be out in the cold unless you choose to be.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are concerned about finding a bed, during the day you can call ahead and ask if there are still beds available. If the next town is full, you can find an albergue in the town you are still in. It means a few less kilometers, but less hassle at the end of the day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think it depends on when you are walking and which route. When we walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to Finisterre in July/Aug 2016, I booked the first couple of nights at Roncesvalles and Zubiri in advance. Then I stopped booking and just showed up until Triacastela in Galicia where the first two or three albergues we tried were full hwne we got there, even though it was a short day. After that, I booked in advance for the rest of the way to Santiago (except for one that didn't take reservations but gave preference to people who had walked further and said, coming fro m Roncesvalles as we were, we wouldn't have any problems getting beds, From Santiago to Finisterre, again, I didn't book in advance.

I only booked in a few cases on the CF. A lot of the private places are on booking.com, and I found this easier to use than calling by phone. I booked ahead for the following stops ... though in retrospect I would have only booked ahead at the ones in bold text:

1. SJPP. As noted above, highly recommended that you book now!

2. The bigger cities: Logroño, Pamplona, Burgos, León. My logic was that I wanted a place that was more comfortable in a city, and thought it would be nice to have my own hot shower. I also wanted to eat a few dinners at a respectable Spanish hour, rather than be locked in the albergue at 9 or 10 pm. This was a good idea for Burgos and León, but I would have been just as happy walking past Logroño and Pamplona & staying in a smaller town.

3. "Special" albergues. There were certain ones that always get recommended on here. You'll see plenty of lists out there of the best albergues on the Camino. In the end I didn't notice much difference between those that were on all the lists and those that weren't ... and a few times I thought why the heck was this place recommended?

4. 30 km days. If I knew I was going to have a long day of walking it was nice to know I had a bed waiting, especially if I was aiming for a smaller town rather than a main stage stop. But you'll figure this out as you go. The vast majority of pilgrims stop in the early afternoon; there were very few of us that would stop at 5 or 6 pm.

SJPP was the only place I booked in advance. The rest I just checked online a day or two before I arrived.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are usually beds available somewhere, even if albergues are completo: Casa rurals, hostals, hotels, apartments, etc. The biggest issue might be if you are strictly depending on albergues to adhere to a limited budget.

I would book SJPP, Orisson (if you can. If not, 2 nights in SJPP), Roncesvalles, and if you have an idea of when you will reach Santiago, I'd book there as well. The rest will just fall into place, but those are bottlenecks that can be difficult. For more information on planning your trip, please feel free to join my Facebook Page here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170414516912037/?ref=bookmarks

but I would have been just as happy walking past Logroño and Pamplona & staying in a smaller town.

I didn't realize it on my first Camino, but Logroño is a tapas haven! On my second Camino my friend and I stayed in a pension so that we could have a tapas crawl. It was actually my friend's last night on the Camino, as she had to return to work, and we had a great time.

30 km days. If I knew I was going to have a long day of walking it was nice to know I had a bed waiting,
A couple of times when I decided at lunch time that I would walk a few more hours, especially when the towns were rather far apart I made a reservation so that I would have a bed to collapse in without having to search for one when I was exhausted.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I didn't realize it on my first Camino, but Logroño is a tapas haven! On my second Camino my friend and I stayed in a pension so that we could have a tapas crawl. It was actually my friend's last night on the Camino, as she had to return to work, and we had a great time.

Nice. For me Logroño was a lesson in not planning too much! I knew it was a tapas town, and stayed in an albergue without a closing time. But bad random luck: everyone else there was so tired from the walk they went to bed around 5 pm. I did a solo tapas-crawl ... which isn't quite as fun as when you're with a group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Sofia

Last May-June, the "municipals" were 5-6 Euros, while some of the Church-owned albergues were donativo. Neither accepted reservations. I enjoyed the experience of staying in them. Most of my friendships were with pilgrims staying there. I think that if you stay only in hotels or private albergues, you miss a valuable part of the Camino.

I stayed at Beilari last Monday 2nd April and HIGHLY recommend it. Like everyone I was super nervous about starting this trip on my own and the beautiful team at Beilari set the tone perfectly!
I agree completely. Beilari is a wonderful place to start your Camino.

I wouldn't book ahead, especially if travelling alone. Part of the fun of the journey is just going. I've done 2 Caminos (and really didn't know what I was getting into ahead of time) and only once did I have to walk any farther than I planned to get a bed. And I could have stayed at the previous place if I was willing sleep on a mattress on the floor. I just took it as a sign to keep going that day. Have a great trip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you ever require a short day , out of the norm , we did one from Molineseca to Ponferrada about 8km after a very wet down hill day before.

30 km days. If I knew I was going to have a long day of walking it was nice to know I had a bed waiting, especially if I was aiming for a smaller town rather than a main stage stop

Two years later on our second Camino we walked to Hontanas and had a nap and shower , paid the 6 euro.
It was a full moon that evening and too this day we don't know why but four of us we continued to San Nicholas for what was the most beautiful day day/evening we have ever had on The Camino.
The peace and the laughter alone on the meseta with the kindness / spirituality of that special Albergue we will never forget.

Logroño is a tapas haven!

This is the town where a lovely hotel on the road out , just past the fountain is essential.
The tapas areas are a must and they don't start till 10pm. No good being in an albergue where the doors close at that time. We considered it the best dining along the way .
Next day with a sore head stop @ Ventosa where there is a special place to stay.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sofia

A couple of times when I decided at lunch time that I would walk a few more hours, especially when the towns were rather far apart I made a reservation so that I would have a bed to collapse in without having to search for one when I was exhausted.

Good to know that Longrono is Tapas heaven - love them! LOL about Tapas crawl versus a Pub crawl but i suppose the two could be combined into one!

So happy to hear that many others wing it as they go - I was getting the impression that beds were going to be hard to come by. I booked for SJPDP as it seemed easy since you know that date you will be there but a bit worried that if weather turns horrible and they recommend not attempting the pyrenees climb that it may be hard to get bed next night?? I do have a question about being able to use phone/internet on route to book for larger town in private auberges or hotels - is there issues with getting service? So looking for group that wants to do a tapas/pub crawl when I get to Longrono ! Leave SJPDP May 31st if all goes well

Last edited:
So happy to hear that many others wind it as they go - I was getting the impression that beds were going to be hard to come by. I booked for SJPDP as it seemed easy since you know that date you will be there but a bit worried that if weather turns horrible and they recommend not attempting the pyrenees climb that it may be hard to get bed next night?? I do have a question about being able to use phone/internet on route to book for larger town in private auberges or hotels - is there issues with getting service? So looking for group that wants to do a tapas/pub crawl when I get to Longrono ! Leave SJPDP May 31st if all goes well

Logrono , book into Hotel or Pension .
If in an albergue you miss out as doors close before spanish dinner or tapas walks commences.
June weather will be ok for crossing otherwise Valcarlos [ great] then to Burguette next day.
Get MMDD and all e/m addresses are there for every accommodation available.
Spain is not in Africa , yes there are services and very good ones at that.
Play it by ear but before you return stay in a Parador , there are 3 along the way.
Thats your treat to yourself for walking 900 km to Muxia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Generally I walk from 7 to 13h. When I get to the albergue there is usually a queue of backpacks at the door waiting for the door to be opened. That is the order of who enters first, second...If it is a small place and only has 10 beds and there are 10 bags, move on. You can usually find a cafe/bar within eye shot to sit and have a drink and not worry to much about your sack.

If in an albergue you miss out as doors close before spanish dinner or tapas walks commences.
June weather will be ok for crossing otherwise Valcarlos [ great] then to Burguette next day.
Play it by ear but before you return stay in a Parador , there are 3 along the way.
Yes i plan on treating myself to a few Paradors along the way - guess one in Logrono will have to be one of them ! any recommendations for a good stay there?

No Paradors in Logrono , plenty of good places .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the first half of the CF in early September and we only booked in advance once. The rest of the time we just played it by ear. The one time we did reserve a bed, the place had no wifi and the hospitalera was a bit...unpleasant. We switched and ended up with a slightly more expensive place with a very nice hospitalero--in fact the dude related to Martin Sheen's grandson's wife. We tended to walk from 7am to about 1 of 2, so we were in a bit early and had no problems. There were a few times when the albuergue filled up by 4 or so, but I don't think the town did, so just pay attention to the number of beds in the town where you are going to stop.

recommendation on where to Stay in Longrono?

I stayed at Hostel Entresuenos during my first Camino, it's right near the Cathedral. Last year my friend and I stayed at Pensión Entreviñas, which we found on Booking.com, near Calle Laurel, which is known for it's fantastic tapas bars. We had an awesome taps crawl in Logroño. I can recommend both places.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Booking .com and relax

I stayed at Hostel Entresuenos during my first Camino, it's right near the Cathedral. Last year my friend and I stayed at Pensión Entreviñas, which we found on Booking.com, near Calle Laurel, which is known for it's fantastic tapas bars. We had an awesome taps crawl in Logroño. I can recommend both places.
THANKS!

recommendation on where to Stay in Longrono?

We play up in Logrono mate so you need a Hotel to rest late in the evening
[1] We stayed @ NH Herencia , its on the road out so you are a km ahead or two ahead next day.
We leave lateish and walk
[2] 20km to Ventosa where we have our favourite Casa. The village is small but everyone mixes in one or two bars. *Hotel Rural Casino de las Aguedas , great dinner.

The next day we are relaxed and walk
[3] 29km to Santo Domingo where The Parador awaits.
You leave early by a country lane and there are stops for coffee /tapas in Nejera, Azofra , and the best coffee in the golf course @ Cirinuela , then a short walk to S/D where you have a great choice for lunch.

The next day we by pass Granon as we stayed there a decade ago and get to Belorado after 23km where an albergue with a pool and private chambers awaits you.

Good luck and by Los Arcos or Viana you will know what are comfortable distances.
Enjoy Logrono Sherry it great at night.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might consider Viana, the hotel Palacio de Pujadan is quite nice. Another nice stop about a day before Viana is Casa Magica in Villateurta. San Zoilo on the way out of Carrion de los Condes is a special place to stay with great dining and an amazing cloister.

what is MMDD?

Miam Miam Do Do
Don't leave with out it.
Can be purchased in StJPP , no other needed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WOW - had no idea that this guide existed - just looked on-line - can it be downloaded its app to iPhone? Yum Yum nighty night - I love it! LOL Also do they come in English ?

WOW - had no idea that this guide existed - just looked on-line - can it be downloaded its app to iPhone? Yum Yum nighty night - I love it! LOL Also do they come in English ?

I'm too old for apps mate, no idea sorry
Somebody will know.
Have a lady friend , who is the boss of The Melbourne Walking mob walking from Verzeley at this moment and she only told me last night that MMDD was printed in English
I questioned this and will get a reply tonight . Whether its just that GR or all MMDd don't know
It will not make any difference if its still in French , so simple.

Hello everyone!

I have never ever stayed in an albergue. I have gotten the idea (Please correct me if I'm wrong!) from my guidebook, and whatever I have heard - that you just turn up, maybe need to queue, and hope for the best (i.e. - that they have a bed and space for you).
Is there any norm/need that I contact the albergue in advance to make a booking at all, to let them know I plan to come and stay with them?
Maybe even for the very first albergue that I'm going to stay in St. Jean?
Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Sophia
I never booked anywhere. Hostels do fill up. Allow The Way to provide. Oh, and “normal” is a setting on the washing machine.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back