• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First blister

MeandIan

Time of past OR future Camino
May2018
I got my first blister yesterday!

For more than a year I have been following this forum. I have read so many opinions, advice, cautions and stories. I have seen videos and photos that looked absolutely horrendous. And I have looked at different tapes and preventative measures. And I was convinced that when, not if, the time arrived, I would be prepared for any scenario because we often spoke of being mindful of hot spots.

We were doing a 16k walk, me with a 5kg pack, and I was very comfortable. At the 10k mark I felt a slight prick in my little toe. I thought perhaps it was a chipped toenail. After about 10 steps it was a bit painful and Ian asked if I wanted to stop. I said I’d stop at a bench about 80m away. Honestly, before we reached the bench, I was pronating quite a bit because it was so painful. I took off my boot and there was a tiny blister with a small speck of blood. We didn’t have a first aid kit so I just made a donut with a piece of tissue to relieve any pressure. We continued and it was ok, the declines better than the ups. One km from our home we stopped to have a chat with someone for a few minutes and then started walking again. Suddenly I had the most excruciating pain in my foot and there was such a lump under my toes. I knew that I had a humongous haematoma. I struggled to walk and carry my pack. I was scared of limping and hurting my back and/or retriggering the fasciitis. So Ian rushed home to get the car and pick me up. When we got home I immediately rushed to see how big the blister was. And found.....a tiny, tiny little deroofed blister, maybe just bigger than a pinhead, under the pad under my toe! l couldn’t believe the amount of pain the little bugger caused me. And I think I have an ok pain limit.

So, lesson to self: carry a blister kit even though you are just ‘training’. Your feet don’t know that you aren’t on your Camino yet! And, if you have a hot spot, stop immediately and check it out. Seriously, I didn’t know that it can change so quickly. And remember that the nerve endings are on the skin. That is the reason superficial lesions are so painful.

Today, we took a rest day and Ian treated me for lunch. And I wear my hydroguard dressing with pride.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It can work both ways: a molehill can feel like a mountain, and sometimes a small niggling sensation can turn into a big blister almost without noticing. I remember a friend many years ago mentioning a hot spot on his foot and taking off boot and sock to find a huge single blister almost covering the whole ball area. A hideous sight. If in any doubt then stop, investigate and sort out the problem early. Sounds as if you learned your own lesson well and luckily at a fairly small cost.

My wife & I saturate either Vasoline or Mentholatum on our toes and use a lot of powder in our shoes. Reduces both the friction and moisture (just ask babies) ... good luck!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ah, your first blister! Keep it clean with betadine or iodine (or whatever you like) -- two people in my group last year had to go to the hospital for infections caused by blisters. After that I started putting betadine on just about every scratch I had! :)

Have you found the reason for the blister?
Is there something in the boot (e.g. a chipped toenail )?
Is the toebox of the boot to thin?

Would maybe a toe separator / toe bandage / ... help?

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tape that spot or get silicone toe condoms for your toe. You may think it would bother you but you don’t even know it’s there. I wear them over my toe socks.

Tape that spot or get silicone toe condoms for your toe. You may think it would bother you but you don’t even know it’s there. I wear them over my toe socks.
Bought different things today to try out and see what we like. Thank you very much

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Love the way you call it your first blister. Iike a first child or first date....
Thought a hot spot was just that. A feeling of heat over the affected area it didn’t even feel hot. Now I feel like a real ‘pilgrim’

Toe condoms please explain! It that why I have 27 toes and counting..... Forgot the toe condoms!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back