• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first "blog" entry....Leaving Sunday

justbnow

"You don't choose a life... you live one"

This is one of my favorite quotes from the movie "The Way" that was instrumental in inspiring me to make this journey. And as I sit here, in my new little home secluded in the foliage of Montecito, I feel that that one line has never been more true. I've spent a lifetime "chosing" my life. Trying to be in control. And I would have to say that for the most part... I messed a lot of it up! The choices I made always seemed to come back to haunt me, and a lot of them I am not proud of. And then, a few years ago I decided to give up control, and hand it over to the God of my understanding. I got myself a bus pass, and took the passenger seat... I gave up driving (metaphorically) and just sat back and tried to do the "next right thing". What a relief to not be in charge anymore... and then the blessings started reigning down.

This morning I am sitting here... with 2 days left before I leave for Spain... and I have a cold. A COLD!!! I am sick as a dog... and I have things to do ~ or maybe not.~ Maybe this is God's way of saying... slow down, you are ready...get some rest. I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I am trying to listen... for the lesson. There still are a handful of loved ones that I want to wish farewell.. and reading glasses that I need to buy ('cause in the last week I have either packed or lost all of mine) but what I need to do is rest. And I believe that I am being forced to do just that. grrrr I keep thinking about the preschool lesson we had last month about the butterfly and the cocoon. Wow ~ the patience it must take that worm as it builds it's cocoon, knowing that eventually it will break free, a beautiful butterfly...free...with wings. So, I took my Alka-Seltzer, blew my nose (again) and am heading back to the cocoon of my bed, knowing that I will be fine come Sunday!

I didn't choose this trip ~ it chose me! The longing to make this pilgrimage came from somewhere deep beyond my knowing, and that is why I know it is the "next" right thing to do. If it had been my choice... I would be eating Cocoa Puffs and sitting in a theater somewhere in England reciting Shakespeare! But noooo... I'm not driving that bus anymore.... I am walking 550 miles across Spain... and I WILL gain my wings!

Buen Camino

B

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember that line from the movie. That film changed my life. I knew within the first 30 minutes that I would walk the Camino even though I had never heard of it before. I had not been East of Colorado, on a plane for more than four hours. I had no idea where SJPP was or how to get there. I just knew i'd do the pilgrimage and I did ...eight months later I was in Spain and walking...230 miles. I was about to "see" my 70th birthday and becoming too comfortable in my comfort zone,& losing confidence in myself. I did it to save my life. Now I'm going back in May 2014 to walk the entire 500+ miles and will "see" my 72nd birthday there. Life is so damned good, I can't stand it!! :=0 And I believe it when it is said that no one does the Camino by accident. As with you, the Camino chose me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.