• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino: 3/13-4/20...Advice?4

Swim4Gold

Rookie on The Way
Time of past OR future Camino
March 13, 2017
I am going on my first Camino March 13 - April 20, 2017, leaving from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I have a few questions:
  1. Would winter running tights under Gore-Tex rain pants be good enough or will I need more?
  2. In regards to upper body order: Silk, Marino Wool, Fleece or Puffy, Rain Hardshell?
  3. Will I encounter more rain or snow and what is the Average Temperature?
  4. Sleeping Bag or Liner?
I am attempting to keep my pack down to 10-12 lbs. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
1. Add also hiking trousers ;-) rain trousers alone/with tights might get too hot.
2. Thin base layer, warm layer, rain/wind proof layer.
3. Rain and average temperatures will vary greatly. Some snow in the mountains possible, also sun (sun screen!) possible.
4. Sleeping bag!!!!

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Note @jirit 's link about the Napoleon route being closed at least until March 31, so you'll be taking the Valcarlos route.
  1. I'd recommend another pair of trousers, although not essential if you are willing to wear your rain pants while your tights are drying, or when you want to go for a walk in the city on a rest day. You always need to keep a layer dry for the evenings/night and the rain pants might not be very good for that. Further, do a test wash of your running tights to check the drying time. Consider a very light weight walking trouser.
  2. Not sure what the question is. That sounds like the right order if you need to wear them all. But remember - keep one layer dry.
  3. More days of rain than snow. Search on the forum or internet for climate stats - they will vary across the route, but you need to be prepared for 0C (freezing) to 20C (room temperature).
  4. Sleeping bag if you are staying in albergues.

1. Would winter running tights under Gore-Tex rain pants be good enough or will I need more?
  2. In regards to upper body order: Silk, Marino Wool, Fleece or Puffy, Rain Hardshell?
  4. Sleeping Bag or Line
Bill

I've walked in March and April and here are my thoughts:

1. You will not need more. In fact, that may be overkill. You will start out chilly in the morning but after walking 10 minutes you will be peeling off layers. And personally, I would not wear Gore-Tex because it makes me sweat INSIDE my clothes. But that's me. Joe wears walking shorts in March and April, even in the rain.

2. I'm in love with Merino wool. I can wear it in the cold or the heat. I buy mine from Hedrena in Australia. However, a few years back I bought a bamboo shirt in Astorga and I love it! It's sturdier than the merino and just as warm.

3. Nobody knows. The weather on the Camino varies so much year to year. I've frozen in June and seen hot days in April. Two years ago there were snowstorms in Roncesvalles in June that nearly buried the albergue. Plus you will be going in and out of various microclimates. I'd say go light, LAYER, and if you need more clothes, you can find them along the way in shops, open markets, or in the FREE BOX that most albergues have where pilgrims have dumped items.

4. I would take a lightweight down sleeping quilt or bag. MOST albergues have blankets but not all. I would freeze in just a liner in March/April.

1. Add also hiking trousers ;-) rain trousers alone/with tights might get too hot.
2. Thin base layer, warm layer, rain/wind proof layer.
3. Rain and average temperatures will vary greatly. Some snow in the mountains possible, also sun (sun screen!) possible.
4. Sleeping bag!!!!

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum, SY

I agree with Yates here. I'd just take hiking trousers that zip off and leave the gore tex at home.

LAYERS are the key to comfort on the Camino.

And if you don't have a well-broken-in pair of boots, please just wear trail runners... :::eek:pening up a can of worms and cackling::::p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Keep the Gortex rain pants, the hiking pants I second the use. As it goes below freezing to 30c/90f some days. I took a 19f sleeping bag I was very happy I did. I will be amazed if you don't walk in snow. As above Layers. Merino base, Fleece coat & rain coat.gloves/hat If you need more buy it as you go.
Buen Camino
Keith

I am going on my first Camino March 13 - April 20, 2017, leaving from Saint Jean Pied de Port. I have a few questions:
  4. Sleeping Bag or Liner?
I am attempting to keep my pack down to 10-12 lbs. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Bill
Check out this weather website. You can look up weather in different cities in Spain from past years. No means a prediction of future weather, but helps give an idea what to expect.
https://www.wunderground.com/

The stretch between Atapuerca and Burgos reminded me of the Texas Hill Country.
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit to taking/using/loving my gortex jacket/pants/boots. I also hate being cold or wet, and might have skimpy clothing under the gortex if need be....
I always recommend a trial to settle any clothing debate... maybe this fall/winter if you're still undecided after all of this great conflicting advice. If all else fails I've been known to dance around under a sprinkler in my gear, and more than once in my shower. Nothing new on race day
Best thing I took with me for rain was a runners ball cap. Light weight and the brim kept my face dry where the rain hood failed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back