• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino advice needed

leeann31

First camino!!
Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
Hola!
What a great resource this site is...thank you to all who contribute so much info!
I need a little advice. I am planning my first Camino for mid-September. I am deliberating between starting at Roncesvalles or Burgos. I want at least a few weeks on the Camino to draw the benefits of extended time to reflect, but this will be my first trip to Spain, so I want to leave some time to travel about the country a bit after my Camino. (I may even travel past Spain if my spirit leads. I just want to have some time in the vicinity after the Camino.) I am in pretty good shape (walk several miles a day usually- 10 miles a day the last few days), but I know the first few days will probably be rough for me as I acclimate my body, so I know I will need to take it slow as my body dictates. I also want to feel the freedom to slow down when I sense I need more time in one spot for whatever reason...
My first question is whether I can get the credencial/passport in Burgos? I don't have time to have one mailed to me. This could determine whether I should start in Roncesvalles....
My second question is for those seasoned walkers, will the trek from Burgos to Santiago be ample time to reap the meditative/spiritual aspects of the Camino? Technically I could start at the beginning, although I intend to likely skip St Jean because I am nervous about the mountain walk..I technically have the time to do the whole Camino.
Thoughts? Advice?

Gracias!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If it were me, I would start in Roncesvallles and just keep walking. You can get your credential from the monastery in Roncesvalles. A great place to start - I always go to the pilgrims mass in the evening. Regardless of beliefs it feels right to start the walk with a blessing. If you do this, take your pack and trekking sticks - they also get a mention in the traditional blessing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola!
on...
My first question is whether I can get the credencial/passport in Burgos? I don't have time to have one mailed to me. This could determine whether I should start in Roncesvalles....
My second question is for those seasoned walkers, will the trek from Burgos to Santiago be ample time to reap the meditative/spiritual aspects of the Camino?
Thoughts? Advice?

Gracias!!!
Yes and yes. And great plan, after santiago jump on a plane a roam spain

Hola!
....... Technically I could start at the beginning, although I intend to likely skip St Jean because I am nervous about the mountain walk..I technically have the time to do the whole Camino.
Thoughts? Advice?
Gracias!!!
Leeann, first of all, please note: "The beginning" of the camino is always where you start, no matter; SJPdP is only one of many, many places.
I would start in Pamplona, for a number of reasons:
- It's well connected and easy to reach;
- a lovely town to immerse into the mood, sounds and atmosphere of northern Spain
- a memorable first day's walk to the Alto del Perdon on to Puente la Reina, not to miss the days of crossing the Rioja wine-country.
Buen camino.

PS: If you have the time after SdC, I'd recommend you to rent a car and drive via La Coruna along the coast toward Bilbao; did it last year and its absolutely beautiful.

A personal view only, from a 'one-time' Pilgrim so far.........

I enjoyed the earlier part of the CF more than the latter....... So I would 'second' a start in Roncesvalles. Or Pamplona ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My suggestion is to start in St Jean Pied de Port. The first two days walk, if you stop at Orisson the first night, provide the finest scenery of the whole Camino. You will be in contemplative mode in no time at all.
Then continue for your allowed time.
If you are managing 10ks a day you will be fine!
I wouldn't miss for quids.
Best wishes with your choice.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Hola!
What a great resource this site is...thank you to all who contribute so much info!
I need a little advice. I am planning my first Camino for mid-September. I am deliberating between starting at Roncesvalles or Burgos. I want at least a few weeks on the Camino to draw the benefits of extended time to reflect, but this will be my first trip to Spain, so I want to leave some time to travel about the country a bit after my Camino. (I may even travel past Spain if my spirit leads. I just want to have some time in the vicinity after the Camino.) I am in pretty good shape (walk several miles a day usually- 10 miles a day the last few days), but I know the first few days will probably be rough for me as I acclimate my body, so I know I will need to take it slow as my body dictates. I also want to feel the freedom to slow down when I sense I need more time in one spot for whatever reason...
My second question is for those seasoned walkers, will the trek from Burgos to Santiago be ample time to reap the meditative/spiritual aspects of the Camino? Technically I could start at the beginning, although I intend to likely skip St Jean because I am nervous about the mountain walk..I technically have the time to do the whole Camino.
Thoughts? Advice?

Gracias!!!
Hi, you don't have to be nervous for the mountain walk. You yourself have to make a choice what you want to do. What ever your choice is I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Maximum elevation between SJPdP and Roncesvalles is 1450 meters ... which makes it a hill. Its mostly on a road surface and is not a mountain walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
thank you all for the tips and recommendations! I am definitely leaning towards starting at the beginning. The encouragement is definitely appreciated. I was nervous about the beginning elevation, but from your advice, I think I will be ok. The beginning mass and all sounds like the right start.

Maximum elevation between SJPdP and Roncesvalles is 1450 meters ... which makes it a hill. Its mostly on a road surface and is not a mountain walk.

Having looked at the elevation gain from St Jean Pied de Port (170 m.) to the Col de Lepoeder (1450 m.), for a total gain of 1,280 m. and an elevation loss of almost 500 m. to Roncesvalles, I would say that, if this is not to be considered a mountain walk (are the Pyrenees not mountains?) it is certainly one considerable and challenging hill. I am going out into the Rockies next week (Banff) for a bit of a tune-up hike - three mountain passes of 605 m. (Mystic Pass), 330 m. (Forty Mile Summit) and 595 m. (North Fork Pass) elevation gain, considerable down climbing and some interesting terrain, about a 100 k. walk. But as far as pure elevation gain goes, the Napoleon Route will doubtless strain my legs and my lungs at least as much as this mountain hike. I hope I shall be ready for it. I'm going a week after I return from my mountains. I shall start early, walk slowly, and enjoy the scenery as much as I can as I puff and blow up the hills and stagger down the descents. I am very glad to be doing the route in two days. I'm not afraid of it - no grizzly bears, no unbridged rivers - but I am nervous about my own poor conditioning and the steep climb the first day. I am not going to push myself to the point of injury. It is only the start of my pilgrimage. If a first-timer can dare to give advice, take care of yourself at the start. There is a long way to go.

This comes up from time to time where people bring their pre-conceptions rather than facts to the discussion on mountains. While the height at which a local prominence can be called a mountain varies a little (2000ft in some places, 700m in others) the common definitions clearly makes the walk across the Pyrenees and several other places along the CF mountain walks. As walks, they don't require special skills, but climbing the 1200m or so required on both Route Napoleon and Route Valcarlos is going to be much more of a challenge than covering the same distance on flatter terrain.

Of course, naming conventions don't account for the desire to have a local mountain, so while the US has the magnificent Mt Dinali, it also has Florida's Sugarloaf Mountain, at all of 312ft!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After physically testing it, I'm sure I would call it a "mountain"! :D:eek::confused:
I am nervous...but I am in good physical condition, although not trained.....
I am still leaning on just going ahead and going for it, but I fly into Pamplona, so I still have some time to think on it....

Sure ... go ahead ... call it a mountain if it makes you happy.

Route Napoleon is not a mountain walk. There are virtually no risks or hazards inherent to walking on it that one would associate with mountaineering or hiking. Its a stroll on a surface suitable for driving a car. The only thing hard about it is that its 27 km long (much longer than most of us usually walk) on a shallow grade and occasionally (rarely) the weather can combine with exhaustion and lead to hypothermia.

I agree with Kanga. I'd start in Roncesvalles.
You also could just start in Pamplona since that is where you're flying into.
Spend a day recovering from the time change, see the sights, then just start walking there.
You can find inexpensive lodging on booking.com for an extra night.
Or you could stay one night in Jose & Maria, and a second night perhaps in Paderborn.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it were me, I would start in Roncesvallles and just keep walking. You can get your credential from the monastery in Roncesvalles. A great place to start - I always go to the pilgrims mass in the evening. Regardless of beliefs it feels right to start the walk with a blessing. If you do this, take your pack and trekking sticks - they also get a mention in the traditional blessing.
I've been thinking of starting from Pamplona...I like the idea of not having to do more trains, planes, and automobiles after 3 (3!) flights from the US....However, I really like the idea of starting off with a pilgrims' mass/opening blessing. Any suggestions for Pamplona?

Thanks!!

Musing on this some more....
Roncesvalles may be the right start for me. I do like the commencement mass idea... Spanish has been my passion for many years (uni degree, a year in Argentina, 6 mos in Mexico, a group of Latino friends all through college). I think that maybe the "beginning" of the Spanish Camino (rather than starting in France) might be right for me. I've seen that transportation is limited from Pamplona to Roncesvalle though....can I get there on 9/13, Sunday afternoon?

At the Pamplona cathedral:
Misas
Lunes a viernes
9:30h – Laudes y Misa capitular

Sábados
9:30h – Laudes y Misa capitular en honor de la Virgen María
20:00h – Misa vespertina

Víspera de festivos
20:00h – Misa vespertina

Domingos y festivos
10:00h – Misa tradicional
11:30h – Tercia
12:00h – Misa capitular

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hello Kanga,

I've found that the bus runs from Pamplona to Roncesvalles at 1800, so I believe I could make it in time for the 2000 mass if I catch that bus! Can I get the credential from the monastery after the mass, or will it be too late?
Can you tell me how to get to the main bus station of Pamplona from the airport there in Pamplona?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buses no longer run to the airport terminal, so a taxi is your best choice.
Buses no longer run from the airport to the main bus station? Or did you mean that buses no longer run from Pamplona to Roncesvalles?

Buses no longer run from the airport to the main bus station? Or did you mean that buses no longer run from Pamplona to Roncesvalles?
The Pamplona airport terminal no longer has any bus service. The nearest bus stop is at the entrance to the airport!

I think I may sound silly....but just to clarify, I could take the bus from the entrance to the airport over to the main bus station (and then from there the bus to Roncesvalles)?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
just been on Pamplona airport website .look likes they mean bus to Pamplona,

the alsa bus is still running to roncesvaless from 10:00 am then 14:30 pm then 17:30 just checked

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
it's easy to get too .ask the taxi driver to take you there.booking office underground .relax there used to pilgrims

the bus station is a bus stop above ground on" calle yanquas y miranda." google this ,, you then go down stairs underground ok to buy your ticket

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
taxis takes 13 mins from airport to bus station

your get a credential at the main roncesvaless albergue..relax

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back