• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - advice

joshhg96

Josh H G
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
Hi all,

I have only a few weeks in September during which I am hoping to do part of the Camino del Norte (8 Sept - 2 Oct). This would be my first Camino and I would be doing it alone. Due to that time constraint, I am planning to begin in Ribadesella and end in Santiago. With that in mind, I was hoping I could get some thoughts on the following questions:

1) I have read that the beginning of CN is particularly beautiful so would I be sacrificing much by starting in Ribadesella?
2) I am 26 yo and reasonably fit but without much, if any, experience of walking 20-25 km distances over many days (I have just returned from a 7 week trip where I walked on average around 13 km a day).
3) I am for the most part quite satisfied in my own company, but I have heard CN is not as popular as CF or CP. Would encounters with other pilgrims be scarce?
4) Given all of the above, would it be sensible to begin with the CP from Porto instead?

Thanks,

Josh

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Both are beautiful Caminos but I think you will be just fine if you stick with the del Norte. In my view that is the best time to walk it. I bet within just a few days of your start you will meet others you are compatible with and will see a lot of each other as you walk. Buen Camino

The first half of the Norte is the most beautiful and the most difficult. Well worth the difficulty factor. You will not have as many pilgrims on the Norte but there will be no lack of people to meet and make friendships. There is a big difference in the distance of the two caminos. The Norte from Ribadesella is about 420k while the coastal Portugues is about 280K. The coastal is going to be a far less difficult camino to walk physically. You can extend your camino after Santiago by walking to Finisterre and Muxia or/and doing the Ingles. Spanish and Portuguese tourists will fade quickly as it is September

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.