• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Car Parking

Nikkie

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Hi. Busy planning our first Camino for June/July 2023. We are arriving in Santander by Ferry and plan to walk the last 100km starting in Sarria. We are wondering whether it would be best to park our car in Santiago and get public transport back to our starting point or park in Sarria and get public transport back there after we have finished the walk. Has anyone done either before? Also, any recommendations for car parks at either destination?

Having read previous threads on this forum, we have decided to book our trip independent of a travel company so any advice, help, guidance greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. Busy planning our first Camino for June/July 2023. We are arriving in Santander by Ferry and plan to walk the last 100km starting in Sarria. We are wondering whether it would be best to park our car in Santiago and get public transport back to our starting point or park in Sarria and get public transport back there after we have finished the walk. Has anyone done either before? Also, any recommendations for car parks at either destination?

Having read previous threads on this forum, we have decided to book our trip independent of a travel company so any advice, help, guidance greatly appreciated

Thanks!
You may find this website useful: https://urbantaxi.es/parking/

Google Chrome will translate if needed

I'm ignoring the ease of finding a parking place or its cost here but if something comes up and you can't complete the camino and you have to leave in a hurry I think getting transport to Santiago and your car will easier and faster than getting transport to Sarria (or anywhere else).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ferry on what route?
If available as a foot passenger I wouldn't bother with a car at all to be honest.
I would advise you to book a cabin for the crossing though. Worth every last penny.

Thanks!
I have used Airport car parks in Spain to park my UK car while I do activities not requiring a car. In June I reserved a car parking place at Seville airport for 8 days and the cost was cheaper than a single nights parking in Central Seville.

Not sure if this available in SdC airport, but if it does you then have cheap bus transport from the rail/bus stations to/from the airport.

Ask your pensions/albergues in Sarria if they have a secure parking for 7 days. Most places that say they have “free parking” is usually on street parking in front of the albergue, so the car is only expected there for one night. Last summer when I asked, the going rate in Sarria seems to be around €5-10/day for garage.

Prices in Santiago will be higher. I would prefer to keep my car in a car park - Xoan XXIII is just behind the Cathedral/pilgrims office/San Francis church, rate per 24h was around €15 I think (do check online) and they give free EV charging (slow charger) - my car is electric.

If you are happy to leave your car in a free spot somewhere for a week, my hospitalera in Sarria recommended the Eroski near the bus station (so it’s convenient when you come back by bus from a Santiago). It’s free, open 24h/doesn’t have a barrier, no sign to say the parking limit, and there are local Spanish cars that are parked there for days… (I saw the same cars parked on Sunday when the supermarket was closed until Monday and maybe longer).

Santiago city centre/old town has so many parking restrictions so be careful where you park. But on google map, these 2 streets not far from the bus station are marked as free parking…

Parking Gratuito Ramón Cabanillas

Parking Gratuito Pontepedriña (acceso)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Nikkie,
Unless you need your car for a holiday before or after your camino, I would leave it at home:
Your ferry crossing will be cheaper (so leaving you spare for a deluxe cabin, turning your ferry journey into a mini-cruise!);
If you want to explore Santander or Bilbao (both recommended) at the beginning or end of your trip, it is much easier to find a central appartment/hotel room without parking provision;
Spanish public transport is affordable and pleasant to use;
The train journey from Santiago to either port passes slowly through astonishingly beautiful scenery and is much less stressful than driving, and;
You won't be distracted from your walking by worries about whether your car is safe.

If you plan to explore more of Spain/Portugal by car after your camino, then you may be able to negotiate with a hotel in or near Sarria for eight or nine nights of parking, if you stay there a night before and a night after your camino.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back