• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - CF from 9 April 2023

Hey Jude

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April '23
Camino Portuguese Feb '24
Hello Camino Community,
I have been dipping into this forum for 3 years, firstly in prep for my first Camino which was to begin early April 2020. But alas, Covid :(
3 years older, unfitter and poorer (well, let's say, less financial), I will fly to Paris 30 March 2023 and begin CF from SJPP 9th April.
Excited and a bit daunted.
I tend to "wing it" when travelling, but realise some planning is required for an enjoyable Camino.
Also a slow traveller - I take plenty of time to "smell the roses" and I love a chat, thankful to have no time limit on my Camino.
I hope it will be the first of many.
So, I have no real question, just an introduction, and thought after 3 years of perusing, it was time for me to speak up!!
Buen camino :)
PS. I tried to add what I thought were relevant tags, but none were accepted. Clearly more practise required

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Camino Community,
I have been dipping into this forum for 3 years, firstly in prep for my first Camino which was to begin early April 2020. But alas, Covid :(
3 years older, unfitter and poorer (well, let's say, less financial), I will fly to Paris 30 March 2023 and begin CF from SJPP 9th April.
I tend to "wing it" when travelling, but realise some planning is required for an enjoyable Camino.
Also a slow traveller - I take plenty of time to "smell the roses" and I love a chat, thankful to have no time limit on my Camino.
So, I have no real question, just an introduction, and thought after 3 years of perusing, it was time for me to speak up!!
PS. I tried to add what I thought were relevant tags, but none were accepted. Clearly more practise required
Good luck from a fellow Aussie First-Timer ( May, 22.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding tags, you cannot create new ones - you can only use these ones. We use them mainly to populate the sub-forums for specific topics that you can see on the main page. Since this thread is mainly a general introduction, you don't need any topic tags - after all everybody has almost the same questions!

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding tags, you cannot create new ones - you can only use these ones. We use them mainly to populate the sub-forums for specific topics that you can see on the main page. Since this thread is mainly a general introduction, you don't need any topic tags - after all everybody has almost the same questions!
Thanks for the helpful explanation 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Camino Community,
First of all welcome and enjoy every minute of it .. on my CF I noticed a lady stopping to take photos of the wildlife , the plants and flowers and even cattle , then she would start walking again , I could tell she was in no rush , she had her camino planned and was sticking to it ..there is no rush by doing so there is more to see and be thankful for not everyone who wants to do the Frances will never be able to for one reason or other . A great time is waiting for you and places to see and lovely ppl from all walks of life .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello Camino Community,
Buen Camino

Hey Jude,
The Camino, and particularly the Camino Frances is well suited for your preferred 'winging it' approach. I spend lots of time researching, so I know what I'd *like* to see and where I'd *like* to stay or eat. But I book nothing and often abandon my researched preferences to walk slower or further or, to explore something which catches my eye or continue a conversation with an interesting fellow pilgrim.
Having curiosity and modest expectations will help you to make the most of your journey.
Enjoy!
Buen Camino!

That sounds like my sort of Camino 😊
I spend a lot of time thinking and dreaming and "planning" in my head... And then I get a bit of a shock when I realise I haven't actually "actioned" anything.
I used to write my uni essays like that too... I would have it all written in my head and then realise I actually had to put it down on paper and hand it in 🫢😬
This "method" (or lack thereof) seems to work well for me.
I enjoy the freedom & opportunity for surprise that "winging it" allows.
Curiosity and modest expectations along with finding joy in simple things. Can't wait!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Camino Community,
I did a segment of the CF in October, slowly. There's even a Facebook group you can join called "Slow strollers on the Camino." Partly because I just don't have a lot of endurance and can't do 20+ km daily (about 12.5 miles) and partly because of knee and gluteus pain, and partly because I'd rather just go at a comfortable pace without time and place constraints. If you have as much time as you want- excellent! You can do StJean to Santiago in 2 months or more if you wish. You'll learn so much in that first week about how to manage things. What seems daunting now will not then. My advice is don't have expectations. It will be your unique experience, with ups and downs. Read up on what to take and what not to bother taking. I brought what I thought was pretty minimum, but didn't need the second pair of pants or second pair of leggings, or extra- extra shirt or... the Camino was formed to service pilgrims and therefore you'll (probably) find whatever you need in any mid-sized town. Another good fb group is Camigas. Have fun in Paris and wherever you go.

Hello Camino Community,
Well hello and it aims like I'm in the same boat as you, I want to start sometime
Hello Camino Community,
I'm planning on the same for from about 20th April. I'm in the same boat. Buen camino and see you there.

Hello Camino Community,
I'm doing my first Camino flying into Paris on 24 April 2023 and also starting the CF at SJPDP. How are you getting from the Paris airport to SJPDP. Looking at various options and .... I'm a nervous traveler (will be fine once I'm on the Camino). It's where do you catch the train, which train, train transfers, getting on the wrong train, time schedules etc. I see some people fly into Biarritz, find their way to train station in Bayonne for train to SJPDP. ???

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello and welcome. I have just arrived home from my camino. What an experience! My advice is to train with your gear, think of how you will be using it as you walk I.e. if I plan to change socks at 10km I want a pair close not buried at the bottom of my kit. Be flexible and ready for the unexpected (there was a train strike) and enjoy the ride. It is an amazing journey.

Hello Camino Community,
Hello Jude and Welcome,
I have been wishing to do the Camino for years, and plan to start second week in April From the Toulouse area, France. One week to arrive in Spain And then the Camino Frances. Perhaps we will meet on the road? Good Luck and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm doing my first Camino flying into Paris on 24 April 2023 and also starting the CF at SJPDP. How are you getting from the Paris airport to SJPDP. Looking at various options and .... I'm a nervous traveler (will be fine once I'm on the Camino). It's where do you catch the train, which train, train transfers, getting on the wrong train, time schedules etc. I see some people fly into Biarritz, find their way to train station in Bayonne for train to SJPDP. ???
I live in France and am familiar with some travel possibilities. Let me know if you wish some recommendations. Sincerely. Jacques

Hi Jude. Welcome. I just got back a few days ago. I used my iPhone and Google maps to work out how to get from A to B. It worked every time. I also asked a local if I was unsure and did a bit of homework or reconnaissance on the day before setting off, to make sure I was at the right station. It worked for me, and it was my first time travelling solo.

Hello Camino Community,
I winged it myself in April of 2019. I strongly recommend stopping the first day in Orisson, taking two days to get to Roncevalles. I hiked alone (never really alone) for my 60th birthday. You will find many "roses" along your way - if you take the time to look.
Buen Camino - Lynn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did a segment of the CF in October, slowly. There's even a Facebook group you can join called "Slow strollers on the Camino." Partly because I just don't have a lot of endurance and can't do 20+ km daily (about 12.5 miles) and partly because of knee and gluteus pain, and partly because I'd rather just go at a comfortable pace without time and place constraints. If you have as much time as you want- excellent! You can do StJean to Santiago in 2 months or more if you wish. You'll learn so much in that first week about how to manage things. What seems daunting now will not then. My advice is don't have expectations. It will be your unique experience, with ups and downs. Read up on what to take and what not to bother taking. I brought what I thought was pretty minimum, but didn't need the second pair of pants or second pair of leggings, or extra- extra shirt or... the Camino was formed to service pilgrims and therefore you'll (probably) find whatever you need in any mid-sized town. Another good fb group is Camigas. Have fun in Paris and wherever you go.
Great, thanks for that wonderful advice.
Even thought I try to be minimalist, I tend to overpack to prepare for every eventuality.
Luckily I have a hardcore distance hiking son who will ruthlessly go through my pack and insist I discard all the "what ifs"
I will have to use all my resolve not to sneak a few back in!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I winged it myself in April of 2019. I strongly recommend stopping the first day in Orisson, taking two days to get to Roncevalles. I hiked alone (never really alone) for my 60th birthday. You will find many "roses" along your way - if you take the time to look.
Buen Camino - Lynn
Fabulous! Thanks for posting Lynn 🌹

Hi Jude. Welcome. I just got back a few days ago. I used my iPhone and Google maps to work out how to get from A to B. It worked every time. I also asked a local if I was unsure and did a bit of homework or reconnaissance on the day before setting off, to make sure I was at the right station. It worked for me, and it was my first time travelling solo.
Thanks for posting @Lexicos
The Reccie before leaving town is a great idea. I can have a bit of directional dyslexia when I am away from the Eastern seaboard of Australia ;) Most of my life living on or near that great Pacific Coast, you know that if the ocean is on your right, you are looking north(ish)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I live in France and am familiar with some travel possibilities. Let me know if you wish some recommendations. Sincerely. Jacques
Thank you for your generous offer @FireDragon I may well be in touch, and perhaps we'll meet on the Way ☺️

Will you walk from Toulouse to SJPP?
Having never been to Europe (major life and world events have derailed previous plans) my knowledge of European geography is shamefully non-existent.

I will stay with an Aussie friend in Paris - she spends 2 months there each year with son and grandchildren. She speaks French, whereas I have been concentrating on getting some basic Spanish happening. She will show me where to get the train and I think/hope I will travel by train all the way from Paris to SJPP.

Thinking of booking a ticket soon, though on some sites it seems you can only book 3 months ahead whereas on SNCF I see I can book now for approx 80 Euro
I know there are entire threads on here about train travel so will delve into them again before I book.
Or... maybe I will seize the moment & book anyway!

Thanks for posting @Lexicos
The Reccie before leaving town is a great idea. I can have a bit of directional dyslexia when I am away from the Eastern seaboard of Australia ;) Most of my life living on or near that great Pacific Coast, you know that if the ocean is on your right, you are looking north(ish)
I know the feeling. I’m in the same side of Australia just further south. I was all nerves when I set off and it’s surprising how quickly you learn when you’re on your own. Your most valuable tool will be your mobile phone. It was for me. I carried one with a euro SIM card and my Aussie one as back up, which I used only a few times. And I’m anything but IT or mobile savvy but I managed quite well. So, main thing is, stay calm. Aussies by the way have generally a good reputation and the French/Spanish I found to be very hospitable and perfect hosts, almost without fail. You’ll be fine. There’s also a couple of apps that are very handy, plus your guide book. Happy planning. I’ll probably be back there in April-May.

I know the feeling. I’m in the same side of Australia just further south. I was all nerves when I set off and it’s surprising how quickly you learn when you’re on your own. Your most valuable tool will be your mobile phone. It was for me. I carried one with a euro SIM card and my Aussie one as back up, which I used only a few times. And I’m anything but IT or mobile savvy but I managed quite well. So, main thing is, stay calm. Aussies by the way have generally a good reputation and the French/Spanish I found to be very hospitable and perfect hosts, almost without fail. You’ll be fine. There’s also a couple of apps that are very handy, plus your guide book. Happy planning. I’ll probably be back there in April-May.
Thanks @Lexicos
Stay calm! Good advice.
Also good to know that Aussies have retained a good rep somewhere ;)

€149,-
Hello Camino Community,
You will be welcome at the pilgrims' office when you come to collect your credencial, where the volunteers will give you lots of information and answer all your questions.

You will be welcome at the pilgrims' office when you come to collect your credencial, where the volunteers will give you lots of information and answer all your questions.
Oh that is so lovely.
Merci beaucoup 🙏💕
I so look forward to that day(and I will be sure to have questions aplenty )

I agree that transport is probably the most nerve-wracking part of travel, especially when you don't speak the local language.
There are threads on the forum all about transport, though I haven't delved into them too much.
I will stay with a friend in Paris for a few days. She will make sure I get on the correct train at the correct station. I hope to catch the train all the way to SJPP, it is not the quickest way to get there, but I love train travel and, never having been to Europe, I look forward to seeing some of the countryside from the train.
I am happy to chat with you via DM regarding transport options and decisions if you wish.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree that transport is probably the most nerve-wracking part of travel, especially when you don't speak the local language.
There are threads on the forum all about transport, though I haven't delved into them too much.
I will stay with a friend in Paris for a few days. She will make sure I get on the correct train at the correct station. I hope to catch the train all the way to SJPP, it is not the quickest way to get there, but I love train travel and, never having been to Europe, I look forward to seeing some of the countryside from the train.
I am happy to chat with you via DM regarding transport options and decisions if you wish.
Buen Camino
Each of us decide our best way. I've a friend who walks The Camino every year. His way is to fly from Brisbane into Madrid, then a train to SJPP. He uses a couple of days in Madrid to acclimate from Jet- Lag. Looking over his itinerary has led me to The Camino Madrid, which is where my plans are going, at the moment. I've found a flight with Qatar Airways, round trip Brisbane to Madrid for 2200. Best plan, so far.
I've never flown Qatar... have never been to Madrid, so I'm not advocating for this route. It suits my friend and, so far, suits my needs. I'll happily explore any offered options that save money on travel. The money saved there will be spent supporting businesses along The Way.
I confess I was one of those husbands whose wife planned travel arrangements. I carried the bags. Lots of new things, this trip...

Buen Camino
I agree, it's always a treat to travel by train: Paris to Bayonne by the wonderful TGV high speed train, then change to a little train from Bayonne to SJPdP (but you get a through-ticket for the whole journey), which allows you to choose your TGV seat.
Some of the TGVs are double deckers - do try to get an upstairs seat reservation for the views.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Camino Community,
Hi Jude. I'm also hoping to set off early April depending on he weather. I hope our paths cross. Buen camino.

Hi Jude. I'm also hoping to set off early April depending on he weather. I hope our paths cross. Buen camino.
Click here to check out the April Calendar thread to see which other members are starting then, and add yourself if you'd like when you have a firm starting date.

Last edited:
Each of us decide our best way. I've a friend who walks The Camino every year. His way is to fly from Brisbane into Madrid, then a train to SJPP. He uses a couple of days in Madrid to acclimate from Jet- Lag. Looking over his itinerary has led me to The Camino Madrid, which is where my plans are going, at the moment. I've found a flight with Qatar Airways, round trip Brisbane to Madrid for 2200. Best plan, so far.
I've never flown Qatar... have never been to Madrid, so I'm not advocating for this route. It suits my friend and, so far, suits my needs. I'll happily explore any offered options that save money on travel. The money saved there will be spent supporting businesses along The Way.
I confess I was one of those husbands whose wife planned travel arrangements. I carried the bags. Lots of new things, this trip...
@Duckadang I would probably have flown into Madrid or Barcelona if I didn't have an Aussie friend who visits Paris for 2 months each year and willing to be my Paris guide and interlocutor. Good opportunity to see a city I probably otherwise might not visit.
She flies Qatar to Paris from Sydney, and rates them highly. I am flying Sydney to Paris with Singapore Airlines - a bit above my usual budget airline travel, but I think the deal I got was OK.
Good luck with all the planning and new experiences. You may feel liberated doing it all yourself :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope so too.
Let me know when you have a definite starting date and place. I am 9th April from SJPP. Can't wait :)

@Duckadang I would probably have flown into Madrid or Barcelona if I didn't have an Aussie friend who visits Paris for 2 months each year and willing to be my Paris guide and interlocutor. Good opportunity to see a city I probably otherwise might not visit.
She flies Qatar to Paris from Sydney, and rates them highly. I am flying Sydney to Paris with Singapore Airlines - a bit above my usual budget airline travel, but I think the deal I got was OK.
Good luck with all the planning and new experiences. You may feel liberated doing it all yourself :)
Don't know about 'liberated'... she always made it look so easy. And, I don't blame you for going where you have a friend.

Hello Camino Community,
Hey Jude, My husband James and I will be starting the Camino at the beginning April from SJPP also. I am a slow walker/hiker I like to take my time and enjoy it. We have no time limit either so we will not be in a hurry. I hope to see you on the Camino.
Buen Camino,
Tammy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Jude, My husband James and I will be starting the Camino at the beginning April from SJPP also. I am a slow walker/hiker I like to take my time and enjoy it. We have no time limit either so we will not be in a hurry. I hope to see you on the Camino.
Buen Camino,
Tammy
Hi Tammy
I hope to see you too.
I can hardly wait... But also trying not to wish my life away and to use the time between now and then to do a bit of planning and making sure I have the gear I need (but not TOO much!!)
Buen Camino 😊

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back