• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Crazy to start July/August 2010???

LTfit

Veteran Member
Just discovered this site - wow, lot's of information so thanks!

The more I read, the more I feel called to walk this summer but my problem is that I have max 3 weeks vacation and need to take it in July or August. Would be lovely to reach SdC but realize that this is unrealistic.

Question: Who has walked during this period (understand it will be even busier given holy year) and what is your experience? If you did it over again would you choose another time period?

I have no problem with hot weather but crowds...

FYI will be looking for transportation from Amsterdam to SJPDP.

Thanks for your advice!

Ltfit

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

July and August are the busiest months of the year by far. Have a look:

http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrin ... nacion.htm

This year numbers overall and certainly in July and August are set to more than double what they were in the same months last year. So, it will be extremely busy. However that has its own excitement and local authorities along the routes are providing additional accommodation to cope.

In the time you have you could think about routes other than the Camino Frances which wil definitely be the busiest. You could for example walk the Camino Portugues from Porto + the route to Finisterre/Muxia or a large part of the one of the Northern routes.

Happy choosing!

John

Hi,

I did Pamplona to Burgos in the later part of August last year and I actually thought it was pretty quiet!! Nothing compared to the crazy crowds you see in May! I think maybe the huge crowds are nearer Santiago. A lot of Spanish pilgrims walk in July/August but many Spanish only walk the last 100km or so. I passed through Galicia once a couple of days before 25th July and the crowds walking were crazy! I would advise if you had to walk then to try the last weeks of August rather than earlier on.
It's very hot walking in July/August but that is a different discussion (fine for sleeping outdoors though).
How far you get and where you start is dependent on you, if you want to reach Santiago badly in one trip start further down the route. It's true when things are really busy the camino brings different challenges but if bed racing is not your thing then you could always walk one of the quieter routes or take a tent.

Who knows what effect Holy Year will have..?!

Buen Camino :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
LTfit said:
Question: Who has walked during this period (understand it will be even busier given holy year) and what is your experience?

In 2007 I started in SJPP on 14 July, and on 24 August I entered Santiago. I enjoyed it, since I'd rather walk in the heat vs. the cold. However, I think that year was cooler than normal, especially on the Meseta (had rain/fog/wind during the beginning and ending portions). It also got quite crowded during the last 100K or so.

I met a lot of neat people throughout my trek, so I'm glad I did it during a peak period. However, some of us who started in SJPP or thereabouts were a bit distressed at how the character of the Camino seemed to change towards the last 100K. There are lots of tourist types and so forth, and they altered the atmosphere a bit - like it was more of a vacation or a lark than a vision quest, I suppose... :|

VT

Hi VinoTinto, Elzi and John,
Thanks for you responses. It looks like I'll be going to walk the camino in July. Still need to finalize dates but probably will start in SJPP 2nd week of July. Won't get to Santiago which is probably good given the crowds...
Now need to start to investigate travel to SJPP from Amsterdam.
Cheers,
LTfit

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back