• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino Frances

TankerTim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Late May to June 2019; Camino del Norte Late April to May 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have my first Camino Frances coming (and first Camino) up next month. I'll be flying into Biarritz and then taking a cab to Bayonne, then a train or bus into SJPP. I fly into Biarritz on Tuesday, May 21 in the late afternoon, and plan on starting the Camino Frances the following morning on the 22nd. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on my packing list or advice that you would like to share with me? I have been planning and preparing for some months now and have been training more since the weather is acting more like Spring lately. I took these pictures today and last updated my packing list today. Currently sitting around 12 lbs, or 5.40 kg as a baseweight with no food or water. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oops! I guess I can't attach a packing list on here in Excel or Word! If someone wants, I could email or message it to you though. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Camino packing List Pack.jpg
    Camino packing List Pack.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Camino packing List Worn.jpg
    Camino packing List Worn.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You didn’t say when next month but you could probably lose the gloves and cap. I can’t tell from the photo what the bulky blue item next to your trekking poles is but if it’s a down jacket, I would say no to that. I walked the Camino May 18- June 22, 2017 and day 1 to Roncesvalles was a little cold with some rain/sleet, walking uphill kept me plenty warm. Most of the next month was warm to hot, 40/104 the day I walked in to Villafranca.

Good luck, Buen Camino, when do you expect to arrive in Santiago?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Juspassinthrough! Thanks for your reply! Yes I have the synthetic jacket, light cap and light gloves which have been on the fence to be left behind. The pad is just a sit pad for sitting anywhere and not getting a wet butt. I have used it quite a bit on the Jacobsweg here in Germany, as well as pretty much everything in the pictures one time or another. I don't really have an end goal in mind, and didn't buy a return ticket so I can take things as they come. You had some hot days! Thanks for the advice!

TankerTim, thanks for your service. Yes, we had many hot days, far more than cool. I brought a sleeping bag, used it in St Jean, Roncesvalles and Zubiri. Mailed it to Santiago from Burgos and never missed it.

I’m walking the Inglés in early June and then León to Sarria from June 7-15. Maybe our paths will cross. Enjoy!

Thanks for your Support! I had thought about a light sleeping bag, but went with a sleeping bag liner instead. Have fun walking the Inglés! Perhaps we'll run into one another!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey "Tanker"

Congrats and good luck. You'll enjoy it.

My rule of thumb is to make sure everything has a minimal of a dual purpose that you pack. It has always worked well for me and keeps my pack light.

Hello Everyone,

I have my first Camino Frances coming (and first Camino) up next month. I'll be flying into Biarritz and then taking a cab to Bayonne, then a train or bus into SJPP. I fly into Biarritz on Tuesday, May 21 in the late afternoon, and plan on starting the Camino Frances the following morning on the 22nd. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on my packing list or advice that you would like to share with me? I have been planning and preparing for some months now and have been training more since the weather is acting more like Spring lately. I took these pictures today and last updated my packing list today. Currently sitting around 12 lbs, or 5.40 kg as a baseweight with no food or water. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know if this will help out, Tim, but here is an updated list of my camino load out.

Hi Bob from L.A.,

Thanks for the response. I have been using that rule and it has helped reduce what I started out with (over 20 lbs) to where I am now. I think I might leave my inflatable pillow and a few other things. I trimmed down my guidebook, and have considered leaving it and using an app, but have always liked having paper maps and something physical in my hands (still might leave it though. I like the thought of having it since it's my first Camino, but it weighs quite a lot). My iPod is definitely a comfort item. I'm looking now to see if I can get my music library (over 30+ gigs of music) onto my phone, which would save a lot of weight. I'll have to keep you guys posted on what my final load out is.

Thanks again!

-Tim

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Davebugg,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen you just about everywhere I've looked on this website, on numerous forums, so it means a lot to hear your advice. It looks like I could cut my pack weight in half by upgrading (currently have an Osprey Stratos 36L, which fits great but is a little large for what I think I'll need) to something lighter. Since my Camino is so close, and it isn't in my budget, I will stick with the pack I have for now (perhaps on a later Camino I can upgrade, since from everything I've heard and read, this will probably not be my last). Looking at leaving my iPod and perhaps my guidebook and inflatable pillow to shave off some more weight. Have you found that most Alburgues have pillows? I thought about a pillow cover, but if I needed one I could always use my extra T-shirt.

Thanks again Dave!

-Tim

Hi Davebugg,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen you just about everywhere I've looked on this website, on numerous forums, so it means a lot to hear your advice. It looks like I could cut my pack weight in half by upgrading (currently have an Osprey Stratos 36L, which fits great but is a little large for what I think I'll need) to something lighter. Since my Camino is so close, and it isn't in my budget, I will stick with the pack I have for now (perhaps on a later Camino I can upgrade, since from everything I've heard and read, this will probably not be my last). Looking at leaving my iPod and perhaps my guidebook and inflatable pillow to shave off some more weight. Have you found that most Alburgues have pillows? I thought about a pillow cover, but if I needed one I could always use my extra T-shirt.

Thanks again Dave!

-Tim
TT
Everywhere I have slept on the Camino in the past three years has had a pillow. I do take my own pillow case though.
I still carry a guidebook. Gives me a good visual on the next day.
Enjoy your Camino!!
Dave C.

Hi Dave C,

Thanks for the reply. I'll more than likely leave my pillow behind then. How about puffy jackets? I know that there are some areas where there is significant elevation, as well as getting up and going early in the morning or being out and about later at night, but would a puffy be necessary in late May through June? Maybe my rain jacket would be sufficient as another layer?

Thanks again!

-Tim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dave C,

Thanks for the reply. I'll more than likely leave my pillow behind then. How about puffy jackets? I know that there are some areas where there is significant elevation, as well as getting up and going early in the morning or being out and about later at night, but would a puffy be necessary in late May through June? Maybe my rain jacket would be sufficient as another layer?

Thanks again!

-Tim
I walk in April. For my layers I have:
SS Tshirt/lightweight fleece/med weight fleece/rain jacket. And lightweight bottoms (have only worn to sleep), zip off hiking pants and rain pants.
I have never wished for a puff jacket. I do own several, but would only take if attempting a winter camino.
I have never been cold, except for my hands. So I take gloves for the cool mornings.

But that is my experience. Others swear by a jacket, I prefer layers as it gives me more options.
Any other questions let me know.
Fellow Pilgrim and US Veteran,
Dave C.

As far as the guide book, the app, the posted signage, the throngs of people and the locals to ask questions of you should no problem navigating your way from one point to another.

Buen Camino !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know you didn’t ask about this but we are taking a shuttle directly from the Biarritz airport to SJPP on May 8th. I’m curious about the taxi and train plan. The shuttle company is Express Bouricotte or something very close to that. It takes about an hour. I can look for the link. The cost depends on the number of riders.

I know you didn’t ask about this but we are taking a shuttle directly from the Biarritz airport to SJPP on May 8th. I’m curious about the taxi and train plan. The shuttle company is Express Bouricotte or something very close to that. It takes about an hour. I can look for the link. The cost depends on the number of riders.
This also my first Camino and I couldn’t be more excited. 😊

Thanks Bob from L.A.! May just trim the guide even more so I have just a few maps instead of the whole thing. Might also trim it along the way.

Thanks Karihughes! I hadn't thought about that option!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Davebugg,

Thanks again Dave!

-Tim

I am glad if I have been of any help, Tim. I use a stuff sack with some clothing for a pillow if one is needed. Feel free to contact me by PM if there is anything you think I might be able to help with later on :).

Keep in mind that you are only doing a walk from town to town, and that can help you sort out what is not really needed vs what you are carrying as a 'just in case' item.

My backpack weight when doing a 10 day trip in the Cascades, Rockies, or Sierras will weigh a total of 23 pounds (food, fuel, cooking gear, tent, air mattress, etc). One of the wonderful things about Camino is that this amount of weight goes down to just below 11 pounds total weight (base weight, plus snack and water).

That's a great idea with the stuff sack. I'll keep that in mind.

That's very true that this is very different from camping, since you don't need to carry your food, shelter and cooking equipment along with you the whole time. I'll let you know if I have any other questions.

Thanks Dave!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's a great idea with the stuff sack. I'll keep that in mind.

That's very true that this is very different from camping, since you don't need to carry your food, shelter and cooking equipment along with you the whole time. I'll let you know if I have any other questions.

Thanks Dave!
Following all of this, Tim. I'm doing my first Camino, solo, Sept-Oct 2019 and am curious about the down jacket and whether I'll need it at that time of year.

Looking at leaving my iPod and perhaps my guidebook and inflatable pillow to shave off some more weight. Have you found that most Alburgues have pillows? I thought about a pillow cover, but if I needed one I could always use my extra T-shirt.
I only came across one albergue that didn't have pillows - the oft recommended albergue in Grañon.

Some albergues provide (or sell for a euro) disposable sheets that include a disposable pillow cover. I found that my sleeping bag liner (which I took in place of a sleeping bag) had a pocket at the end that you could put the pillow into, so it functioned as a pillow cover.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back