• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino from Sarria - November 2021

Abigail_UK

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Sarria (November 2021)
Hello from a long time lurker but first time poster!

I’ve dreamed of being able to walk the full Camino Frances for several years but have reconciled myself to the fact that for now having time to walk the whole thing isn’t realistic! I have a week off in November and have decided that I want to use it for my first Camino experience - I’m planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago (and then in future years I can go back to the beginning and walk the full route in stages from SJPP).

As November is out of the main season, combined with Covid, I’m assuming that I’ll be safest planning and booking ahead? Are there any other planning/equipment recommendations for a first time pilgrim walking slightly out of season? I’m incredibly excited but also nervous so would love to hear from people who have had similar experiences!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Abigail_UK, welcome to the forum. If you have sorted out your transport logistics - flight to Santiago, buses to Sarria or flight to Madrid, train to Sarria you are pretty good to go. Galicias (public) Xunta Albergues are open, albeit with reduced capacity, so you are unlikely, in November, to need pre-booked accommodation unless you want that additional comfort. The issue with pre-booking is, of course, that you are tied to your destinations.

My only thought on equipment - make sure that you have good rain-gear that you can walk in without melting. It rains in Galicia in November, much as it does at most other times of year but more so. I've always carried an umbrella.

IMGP2017.jpg

It’s a very good time of year to choose in my opinion, my first venture onto the Camino Frances in November 2015 was from Leon to SdC.

In normal years there was no lack of accommodation, although there was a reduced choice - the free market balanced supply and demand very well.

Recently it has been reported that booking ahead was advisable - but that was largely in (many) posts in July and August with lots of Spanish peregrinos and many more Spanish folks choosing to holiday at home. Those months are renowned for the ‘bed race’ in any case.

A reasonable compromise may be to book your first couple of nights and take advice from the hospitaleros with respect to your future plans. Spontaneity is an important part of many people’s experience of the Camino.

November through March is my usual Camino season. I book my first night, wherever I’m starting out from, then take it as it comes. I’ve never failed to find a good bed.

Be prepared for rain.

Budget for a couple of (relatively) up-market stays.

Don’t over-think the logistics. Even some who I thought must have evaded their full-time carers somehow managed without drama.

Try to spend a couple of days in Santiago. It’s where you’re going and worth experiencing in a relaxed manner.

Check out the excellent recent thread on the virtual queuing system for a compostella, if you want one. You might be the only one in town who understands the system.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Besides being prepared for rain as noted in the answers above also be prepared for cold.
Many who walk in late autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Walking I always wore a short sleeved polyester undershirt topped by a polyester longsleeve shirt. Furthermore I also carried an extra set of the same combo.

Here are a kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello from a long time lurker but first time poster!

I’ve dreamed of being able to walk the full Camino Frances for several years but have reconciled myself to the fact that for now having time to walk the whole thing isn’t realistic! I have a week off in November and have decided that I want to use it for my first Camino experience - I’m planning to walk from Sarria to Santiago (and then in future years I can go back to the beginning and walk the full route in stages from SJPP).

As November is out of the main season, combined with Covid, I’m assuming that I’ll be safest planning and booking ahead? Are there any other planning/equipment recommendations for a first time pilgrim walking slightly out of season? I’m incredibly excited but also nervous so would love to hear from people who have had similar experiences!
Enjoy your Camino! It's hard for some to get the time to walk the full Camino Frances... Enjoy the Camino you do walk. And know you'll be back for more one day! 😊😊Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s a very good time of year to choose in my opinion, my first venture onto the Camino Frances in November 2015 was from Leon to SdC.

In normal years there was no lack of accommodation, although there was a reduced choice - the free market balanced supply and demand very well.

Recently it has been reported that booking ahead was advisable - but that was largely in (many) posts in July and August with lots of Spanish peregrinos and many more Spanish folks choosing to holiday at home. Those months are renowned for the ‘bed race’ in any case.

A reasonable compromise may be to book your first couple of nights and take advice from the hospitaleros with respect to your future plans. Spontaneity is an important part of many people’s experience of the Camino.

November through March is my usual Camino season. I book my first night, wherever I’m starting out from, then take it as it comes. I’ve never failed to find a good bed.

Be prepared for rain.

Budget for a couple of (relatively) up-market stays.

Don’t over-think the logistics. Even some who I thought must have evaded their full-time carers somehow managed without drama.

Try to spend a couple of days in Santiago. It’s where you’re going and worth experiencing in a relaxed manner.

Check out the excellent recent thread on the virtual queuing system for a compostella, if you want one. You might be the only one in town who understands the system.

I wonder if walking in November if you need to even worry about the new system. I walked in 2018 and 19 and arrived in late November in 2018 and about December 8, 2019 and walked right in both times. In fact in 2019 i arrived about 11:00AM and got the free pilgrim lunch at the Parador for that day! But you know you know you never know from one year to the next. I should arrive about December 8th this year after walking the VDLP and still plan to wing it! I hate dealing with technology. Because I am soooooo lame with it.

I'm enjoying the information here. I have a possibility, very spontaneous, to walk from Sarria in November. After planning several times and having things come up that prevented me from walking, I'm considering this a starter experience. The tips and suggestions here have been very helpful! Cheers!

Anyone planning to travel/walk November 1 please read this post

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All the best for your first camino. All above posts are precious, but allow me to suggest that you pay particular attention to mspath's recommendations!
I think that you might well manage without booking anywhere, but perhaps you will feel safer with the first night booked. People exchange contact details and stay in touch with whatsapp or signal - my preference! - so you will be able to know what is or is not available. Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back