• You might see some error messages on the forum today. We are working on it.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino Gear Questions (Hoka One One, Socks, Pacer Poles, Sea to Summit Spark SPII)

Elisha

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April/May 2018
Hi fellow adventurers!

This is my first post & very excitedly, I'm planning my first Camino Frances, leaving from SJPDP on 20 April 2018. I've put together a loose itinerary for the walk, based on distance I'd like to cover & towns I'd like to stop in/explore along the way. All being well, I hope to finish my walk in Fisterra on 31 May, roughly 41 days. So, between now & then my biggest decisions are going to be gear related, which brings me to the forum to ask a few questions.

Thus far I've made a couple of purchases, one being my backpack (I chose an Osprey Sirrus 36) & secondly my shoes. It's fair to say, that choosing a pair of boots that you're planning to walk over 890 kilometres in is a hugely daunting task however, today I think I found my hoof chariots! After trying multiple brands & fits, I've just settled of a bright new pair of Hoka One One - Tor Ultra Hi WP (see photo below). Does anyone have experience with walking the Camino in these? From the past few days of wear, they seem amazingly comfortable & feel incredibly different to any other hiking shoe I've tried on before.... I'm also not going to lose them on a dark night, that's for sure! They are on the bigger side however, I am planning on wearing 2 pairs of socks, having read that a combination of Injinji Lightweight Toe Socks under Smartwool socks could be a good idea. Any thought's on this?

Another one of my biggest gear decisions is going to trekking poles. Having never walked with poles before I'm wondering if it's best to go for something like a Pacer Pole or stick to a more basic pole such as Black Diamond? I've read some terrific things about Pacers & I'm starting to believe they might be worth the investment?

As for my backpack, I weigh roughly 56kg. I've read that it's obviously ideal to carry no more than 10% of your body weight, however this doesn't seem entirely realistic. I'm fit, I work out several times a week, although I want to be comfortable & unburdened by my pack. I'm wondering what you've all found your comfortable weight to be when walking the Camino? I'm looking at my current packing list; everything I've included seems like a necessary item but I'm concerned that I'm going to be lugging around a pack that feels too heavy because I'm quite small.

Here's an overview of everything I'm intending to pack. If you have any suggestions or thought's on anything I've listed, please let me know :)

+ Hoka One One Hiking Boots
+ 2 Long Sleeve Icebreaker Tops
+ 2 Short Sleeve Quick Dry Tops
+ Purple North Face Jacket
+ Ferrino Rain Poncho
+ 1 Convertible Shorts/Pants
+ 2 2XU Leggings (1 Long/1 Mid)
+ 4 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Bikini Briefs
+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Merino Smartwool Coolmax Socks
+ 2 Toe Socks
+ Gloves
+ Headband/Buff

+ Small Torch / Lanyard
+ Sea to Summit Spark II Sleeping Bag
+ 2 Light Weight 500ml Water Bottles *
+ Black Diamond Z Hiking Poles *
+ Teva Rest Shoes
+ Light Weight Wallet *
+ Hiking Umbrella *
+ Osprey Stuff Back Pack (Day Bag)
+ Osprey Toiletry Organiser
+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L
+ Quick Drying Towel
+ Head Lamp
+ S Clips
+ Swiss Army Knife
+ Flat Sink Stopper
+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips
+ Bedbug Spray
+ Combo Lock
+ Earplugs
+ Sunglasses
+ Spork
+ Duct Tape

+ Medical/Sewing/Blister Kit
+ Hike Goo
+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb
+ Razor
+ Deodorant
+ Sunscreen
+ Medication

+ Camera
+ Chargers (Phone, Camera, Fitbit)
+ European Adaptor
+ Headphones
+ USB with important docs
+ 1 Credit Cards / 2 Debt Card/ ID / Passport
+ Guidebook ?
+ 1 Rock !

Lastly, I'm going to be taking a lightweight sleeping bag; I've always been a cold sleeper. I've been trying to find the lightest weight model on the market without having to sacrifice too much on warmth. I'm currently looking at the Sea to Summit Spark SPII. It's spendy ($379) but weighs in at 18oz (or 500g for us Australians). I'm an International Flight Attendant & currently use a Roman Palm in the bunks at work; being synthetic I find I'm often not warm enough & despite being small, it weighs in at over 1kg. Does anyone have any experience with using or carrying the Spark SPII? 500 grams isn't a lot, but all that weight obviously starts to add up the further you walk.

Really looking forward to all of your commends & suggestions.

Buen Camino!
Elisha xx

19149354_10154517573472093_7482866654625375889_n.jpg

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Regular Black Diamond poles are just fine. Hoka One Ones a dream, especially the ones you found as they have a much linger lasting sole than their other models.

Backpack should be 7-8kg, plus water max, regardless of your weight.

As for a sleeping bag, there is no reason to spend so much money. Consider a liner plus a duvet of somesort, like the Double Black Diamond you can find on Amazon for much less. I am sure you can find something similar in NZ.

Hi Elisha and welcome to the forum!
A few comments, I'm sure you'll receive plenty more.
I love Osprey rucksacks so I am biased! I am sure yours will be perfect.
Shoes I don't know, not even having seen Hoka one ones. If you are comfortable in them, they'll be fine :)
Poles: I had never used any either on my first camino so I went for cheap ones from Lidl - which turned out to be very good quality, actually...
I later bought Pacer Poles for a long pilgrimage as I was worried my old ones wouldn't last the course. I really don't think it matters which ones you get, the non Pacer poles are just as good....
The most important (for me) is the weight of the rucksack. I was same weight as you on first camino and carried 5 kg (without water, snacks). My sleeping bag was 600g. It can be done without buying very expensive stuff. Carrying 6 kgs, you'll have a very comfortable camino.
Hope that helps?
D
Oh, I forgot: I was also recommended to wear two pairs of socks (thin liners plus wool socks) and it works for me. Others do differently of course. Best thing is to try it all out on a few longish walks (with a full rucksack), that really is a good way to judge if it all works for you :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Elisha and welcome to the forum!
A few comments, I'm sure you'll receive plenty more.
I love Osprey rucksacks so I am biased! I am sure yours will be perfect.
Shoes I don't know, not even having seen Hoka one ones. If you are comfortable in them, they'll be fine :)
Poles: I had never used any either on my first camino so I went for cheap ones from Lidl - which turned out to be very good quality, actually...
I later bought Pacer Poles for a long pilgrimage as I was worried my old ones wouldn't last the course. I really don't think it matters which ones you get, the non Pacer poles are just as good....
The most important (for me) is the weight of the rucksack. I was same weight as you on first camino and carried 5 kg (without water, snacks). My sleeping bag was 600g. It can be done without buying very expensive stuff. Carrying 6 kgs, you'll have a very comfortable camino.
Hope that helps?
D
Oh, I forgot: I was also recommended to wear two pairs of socks (thin liners plus wool socks) and it works for me. Others do differently of course. Best thing is to try it all out on a few longish walks (with a full rucksack), that really is a good way to judge if it all works for you :)

Fantastic! Thank you so much for your advice, especially re: poles. I had read a handful of good reviews on the Black Diamond Distance Z Poles, so perhaps I'll look into those at REI next time I'm in the US. They are around the same price as Pacers after a quick look online.

As for sleeping bags, I've struggled finding a decent bag over 800g that doesn't cost the Earth. May I ask what you carry?

Hi Elisha, I am new to the forum also. I am heading on my first Camino in September. I have purchased a Black Diamond down quilt from Costco for $30 plus taking a silk liner. Lots of comments on this quilt on the forum. Costco have these in OZ at the moment. I also looked at the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 sleeping bag which only weighs 389 grams. They are on special for around $200 at the moment.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here's an overview of everything I'm intending to pack. If you have any suggestions or thought's on anything I've listed, please let me know :)

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho
+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Toe Socks
+ Gloves
+ Headband/Buff

+ Small Torch / Lanyard
+ Teva Rest Shoes
+ Light Weight Wallet *
+ Hiking Umbrella *
+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L
+ Quick Drying Towel
+ Head Lamp
+ S Clips
+ Swiss Army Knife
+ Flat Sink Stopper
+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips
+ Bedbug Spray
+ Combo Lock
+ Earplugs
+ Sunglasses
+ Spork
+ Duct Tape

+ Hike Goo
+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb
+ Razor
+ Deodorant
+ Sunscreen
+ Medication

+ Camera
+ European Adaptor
+ Headphones
+ Guidebook ?
+ 1 Rock !

Buen Camino!
Elisha xx

View attachment 34487

I'll leave the comments re-clothes to others as I haven't walked the Camino in April. Just seems to me taking both jacket AND poncho is overkill but I could be wrong :confused: Also only 2 pairs of briefs (wash one, wear one). I'd rather take 3 pairs of outer socks as they take longer to dry if weather is wet.

I buy a couple of bottled water when I arrive and refill them as I go along.
At the end of the trip they go in the recycle bins.
You don't need to carry a bed bug spray. I think most people who use it treat their stuff BEFORE they go.
No need for a toiletry organiser either, it can all go into a mesh bag.
Not sure what the bulldog clips are for? Or the combo lock? Not sure you need the day bag either? You could use the dry sack?

We're all different, you're bound to have lots of different suggestions. I tend to go for what is lightest.

Oh and I found the Lush soap tin useless! difficult to open with wet hands and even to get the soap out... I now use a very fine mesh bag, no need to take the bar out and you can hang it to dry (make sure you don't leave it behind - like some people might do... :oops::rolleyes: )

Chargers (Phone, Camera, Fitbit) + European Adaptor
- Get wires to USB (fitbit comes with one already) and they can then all 3 share one euro plug to USB and you can forget the Oz to Euro adaptor too

USB with important docs
- use Dropbox instead, or email to yourself. I have mine in Dropbox and shared the folder with my sister just in case.

I think you need 3 pairs socks. They tend to be the slowest drying of all your clothes
You don't need both a torch and a headlamp
Get an ultrasil dry bag in a capacity bigger than your backpack, for it to work well as a liner
You can then use it for luggage transfer if you want to in very hot weather
You then don't need a daybag
Buy an ultralite pouch for toiletries
Ditch the small nicknackery - knife, spork, clips, sink plug, padlock, duct tape, S clips

You need a sunhat
Any cheap poles will do

Sorry all links are to UK examples I didn't have time to research Oz outlets.

Last edited:
Don't forget "sock protectors " I completed Almeria to Fisterre last week and in the process totally destroyed a pair of Hoka tor summit by wearing them out from the inside. I suspect that very small grains of sand/grit found their way into the boots and abraded the Event lining away. Google sock protectors, I think they could be easily made at home.
Regards
George

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear Hoka's and I love them. But they should be at least a size bigger than your normal size. If you're wearing a toe sock liner, maybe a size and a half. Injinji toe sock liners are my favorites.

Just a little tip on Icebreaker LS tops. Consider those with 1/4 zip front for a ventilation option.
I'm a dedicated Pacer Pole user.
Regards
Gerard

Fantastic! Thank you so much for your advice, especially re: poles. I had read a handful of good reviews on the Black Diamond Distance Z Poles, so perhaps I'll look into those at REI next time I'm in the US. They are around the same price as Pacers after a quick look online.

As for sleeping bags, I've struggled finding a decent bag over 800g that doesn't cost the Earth. May I ask what you carry?
I carry a silk liner by Sea To Summit and the Double Black Diamond duvet bought at Costco.

With this duvet... it is slippery, so Imhad snap buttons added to it on two opposing sides, and corresponding snap buttons on the side of my liner, this way I can attach the suvet to the liner and even if it moves off me, it will not end up on the ground below. I can also close it up and use as a sleeping back.

It is mean to be used as a jetté, for use while sitting, so it is a bit short. I am 5'4" and it works for me. If you are 5'8" or so, your toes may stick out ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi fellow adventurers!

This is my first post & very excitedly, I'm planning my first Camino Frances, leaving from SJPDP on 20 April 2018. I've put together a loose itinerary for the walk, based on distance I'd like to cover & towns I'd like to stop in/explore along the way. All being well, I hope to finish my walk in Fisterra on 31 May, roughly 41 days. So, between now & then my biggest decisions are going to be gear related, which brings me to the forum to ask a few questions.

Thus far I've made a couple of purchases, one being my backpack (I chose an Osprey Sirrus 36) & secondly my shoes. It's fair to say, that choosing a pair of boots that you're planning to walk over 890 kilometres in is a hugely daunting task however, today I think I found my hoof chariots! After trying multiple brands & fits, I've just settled of a bright new pair of Hoka One One - Tor Ultra Hi WP (see photo below). Does anyone have experience with walking the Camino in these? From the past few days of wear, they seem amazingly comfortable & feel incredibly different to any other hiking shoe I've tried on before.... I'm also not going to lose them on a dark night, that's for sure! They are on the bigger side however, I am planning on wearing 2 pairs of socks, having read that a combination of Injinji Lightweight Toe Socks under Smartwool socks could be a good idea. Any thought's on this?

Another one of my biggest gear decisions is going to trekking poles. Having never walked with poles before I'm wondering if it's best to go for something like a Pacer Pole or stick to a more basic pole such as Black Diamond? I've read some terrific things about Pacers & I'm starting to believe they might be worth the investment?

As for my backpack, I weigh roughly 56kg. I've read that it's obviously ideal to carry no more than 10% of your body weight, however this doesn't seem entirely realistic. I'm fit, I work out several times a week, although I want to be comfortable & unburdened by my pack. I'm wondering what you've all found your comfortable weight to be when walking the Camino? I'm looking at my current packing list; everything I've included seems like a necessary item but I'm concerned that I'm going to be lugging around a pack that feels too heavy because I'm quite small.

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho
+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Toe Socks
+ Gloves
+ Headband/Buff

+ Small Torch / Lanyard
+ Teva Rest Shoes
+ Light Weight Wallet *
+ Hiking Umbrella *
+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L
+ Quick Drying Towel
+ Head Lamp
+ S Clips
+ Swiss Army Knife
+ Flat Sink Stopper
+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips
+ Bedbug Spray
+ Combo Lock
+ Earplugs
+ Sunglasses
+ Spork
+ Duct Tape

+ Hike Goo
+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb
+ Razor
+ Deodorant
+ Sunscreen
+ Medication

+ Camera
+ European Adaptor
+ Headphones
+ Guidebook ?
+ 1 Rock !

Lastly, I'm going to be taking a lightweight sleeping bag; I've always been a cold sleeper. I've been trying to find the lightest weight model on the market without having to sacrifice too much on warmth. I'm currently looking at the Sea to Summit Spark SPII. It's spendy ($379) but weighs in at 18oz (or 500g for us Australians). I'm an International Flight Attendant & currently use a Roman Palm in the bunks at work; being synthetic I find I'm often not warm enough & despite being small, it weighs in at over 1kg. Does anyone have any experience with using or carrying the Spark SPII? 500 grams isn't a lot, but all that weight obviously starts to add up the further you walk.

Buen Camino!
Elisha xx

View attachment 34487
Hi Elishathe Hi Elisha
Hi fellow adventurers!

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho
+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Toe Socks
+ Gloves
+ Headband/Buff

+ Small Torch / Lanyard
+ Teva Rest Shoes
+ Light Weight Wallet *
+ Hiking Umbrella *
+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L
+ Quick Drying Towel
+ Head Lamp
+ S Clips
+ Swiss Army Knife
+ Flat Sink Stopper
+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips
+ Bedbug Spray
+ Combo Lock
+ Earplugs
+ Sunglasses
+ Spork
+ Duct Tape

+ Hike Goo
+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb
+ Razor
+ Deodorant
+ Sunscreen
+ Medication

+ Camera
+ European Adaptor
+ Headphones
+ Guidebook ?
+ 1 Rock !

Buen Camino!
Elisha xx

View attachment 34487[/QUOT
Hi Elisha,

Your list looks good. I would opt for 3 pairs of socks as previously posted. I got a hole in one and sometimes they don't dry. I only took 3 pairs underwear. There is a liquid soap, Life Adventre, I think, which works for hair, shower and clothing and a little goes a long way. I had a very small sea to summit drybag for valuables and could even take it to the shower with me. I also took a sea to summit day pack which weighs nothing and folds into it's own pocket - extremely small. It holds a good amount of stuff and is strong. I even used it to walk with when my pack was causing knee problems. A sunhat with a brim was invaluable for me and I also wore a small, lightweight fleece beanie made by Buff when it was cold. I started at St Jean on 25th April and really needed my gloves in the Pyrenees. I used a lightweight (500kg) down sleepung bag made by Alpkit and had a silk liner which I didn't use as a liner, but it was useful as a pillow case as many albergues didn't provide them. I hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your adventure. Buen Camino

Regarding sticks, I've used Lekis, Pacer Poles, and a plain stick I bought on the Camino.
All worked just fine.

The cons of the Lekis and Pacer Poles (for me) were having to leave expensive sticks in a barrel accessible to the outside, and possibly having them stolen, and carrying them on the flight HOME (which was not allowed my last flight). I don't check my bags, having seen too many pilgrims arrive without a bag. The pros to the Pacer Poles is the handle, which I loved, but I ended up selling two pair because keeping up with them was just more responsibility than I wanted on my Caminos.

The pros of just picking up a stick in Spain is that it works exactly the same way. I only really NEED sticks on hills and there aren't that many. The rest of the time, they're just in my way. Most of the Camino is flat walking. Plus, then you can check it when you leave and it's a great souvenir.
No cons to that type of stick.

As for your backpack, I strongly suspect you'll begin dumping items after your first day, as most pilgrims do.

+ 2 Long Sleeve Icebreaker Tops - I'd just take one
+ 2 Short Sleeve Quick Dry Tops - I'd just take 1
+ Purple North Face Jacket - I've never needed a jacket, except a light windbreaker. After 5 minutes of walking, even in the cold, I'm peeling off layers.

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho - does it zip up the front? Otherwise you are taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, and each time, you have to remove your pack.

+ 2 2XU Leggings (1 Long/1 Mid) - just take one
+ 4 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Bikini Briefs - just take 2 - wear one, wash one

+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Toe Socks

+ Gloves - I took gloves my first two cold Caminos and never took them again.

+ Headband/Buff - The buff is one of my favorite items

+ Small Torch / Lanyard - please don't walk in the dark - it's silly. Especially in April. Just wait until daylight.

+ 2 Light Weight 500ml Water Bottles * In April you'll only need one bottle. Fill up in every village. I only carry 8 ounces, even in summer.

+ Black Diamond Z Hiking Poles * - just pick up walking sticks there. I've even seen people buy two short ones if you need two, but one stick is enough, honestly.

+ Teva Rest Shoes

+ Light Weight Wallet *

+ Hiking Umbrella *

+ Osprey Stuff Back Pack (Day Bag) - Are you going to hire bag transport? Otherwise, you won't need a day bag, imo.

+ Osprey Toiletry Organiser - just use a nysil stuff sack

+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L - don't need it.

+ Quick Drying Towel

+ Head Lamp - CHOOSE between this and a torch. To me, the head lamp makes more sense but you sure don't need both

+ S Clips - for what?

+ Swiss Army Knife - you don't really need it. Pick up a lightweight cheap knife in Roncesvalles

+ Flat Sink Stopper - you don't need it

+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips - for what?

+ Bedbug Spray

+ Combo Lock - you don't need it.

+ Earplugs - be sure to get GOOD ones if you're staying in albergues! lol!

+ Sunglasses - I've never needed them. What I do NOT see on your list is a brimmed hat, like a Tilley or even baseball cap.

+ Spork - use this instead of taking a knife

+ Duct Tape - wrap a little around your trekking poles but available in most villages

+ Medical/Sewing/Blister Kit - make it VERY small - everything you might need is available in most villages

+ Hike Goo - ???

+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb

+ Razor - don't 'mess with shaving on the Camino. Not many do.

+ Deodorant - you taking 2 deodorants?

+ Sunscreen - I wouldn't take this in April. You can buy it there if you need it.

+ Medication

+ Camera
+ Chargers (Phone, Camera, Fitbit) - Good Lord. Can you take photos with your camera?

+ European Adaptor - buy a tiny one there for 1 euro in a China shop or on Rick Steves' website. All you need is a tiny plug

+ Headphones

+ USB with important docs - Just email those to yourself

+ 1 Credit Cards / 2 Debt Card/ ID / Passport - Why so many debit/credit cards? Be sure to email yourself photos of front/back in case of loss

+ Guidebook ? - I like Brierleys

+ 1 Rock ! - make it a pebble :p

lightweight sleeping bag; I found a used DOWN bag on craigslist. I cut off the hood and zipper (serger) and now I have this wonderful lightweight down blanket that I love.

Buen Camino!
Annie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great advice already . . . I just have a few notes to add.

- Get wires to USB (fitbit comes with one already) and they can then all 3 share one euro plug to USB and you can forget the Oz to Euro adaptor too

USB with important docs
- use Dropbox instead, or email to yourself. I have mine in Dropbox and shared the folder with my sister just in case.

You can even find a spanish plug that has 2 or 3 usb ports to charge all your items at once. You can see a sample on Amazon Spain. You could buy one ahead of time or just pick one up when you arrive in an department store, gas station or corner store (dollar store type).

https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8/261-5582034-7740027?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+plug&sprefix=usb+plug,aps,262&crid=1WQDXIMBNCWI9

A dropbox account is free - and, as notion 900 said, you can share just the folder with the important documents with another person, you don't have to give them access to your entire dropbox. DM me for assistance with how to set this up.

I have purchased a Black Diamond down quilt from Costco for $30 plus taking a silk liner. Lots of comments on this quilt on the forum. Costco have these in OZ at the moment.

I carry a silk liner by Sea To Summit and the Double Black Diamond duvet bought at Costco.

With this duvet... it is slippery, so Imhad snap buttons added to it on two opposing sides, and corresponding snap buttons on the side of my liner, this way I can attach the suvet to the liner and even if it moves off me, it will not end up on the ground below...

I have very loops on my duvet and about 2 ft of very thin velcro and I started attaching 1 corner of the duvet to my bunk bed. I was on the top bunk in Roncesvalles in January when my duvet fell on the floor - twice!!! so I had to find a solution.

Snaps are a great idea, but I found the velcro first.

Wax your legs and armpits the day before you leave. You won't need a razor after that. Okay, maybe 3 or 4 weeks in but you can always buy one there.
Too many pairs of underwear! You only need 2. Trust me on that.
I'd say you have too many shirts. But maybe you get cold when it's in the 20s. I sure don't and I only needed 2 short sleeve t-shirts and 1 synthetic puffy plus a light weight rain shell. (only used the puffy once when going over a high pass in rain and wind) I prefer the synthetic puffy jackets to fleece because they dry fast and are much lighter. Mine is also windproof so it has that added benefit.
But being that you are from a very warm climate, you may be more sensitive to the cold. Just remember that once you start walking, you will generate a lot of heat. I prefer to walk a little cool so that I don't over heat. But I saw a lot of people walking with multiple layers when temps where in the 20s and even 30s. So I guess some people like to sweat when they walk. You will have to decide what your preference is.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I also wanted to add that you really should go out on some long walks with your socks and shoes. Everyone is different. I don't use double socks and never have. I use Darn Tough socks and no liner. Never get blisters. Other people love the toe socks and wouldn't be able to walk with out them. So you need to find what works for you and not go off based on what everyone else thinks is the best solution. Get lots of walking in with your gear before you head out.

Regarding sticks, I've used Lekis, Pacer Poles, and a plain stick I bought on the Camino.
All worked just fine.

The cons of the Lekis and Pacer Poles (for me) were having to leave expensive sticks in a barrel accessible to the outside, and possibly having them stolen, and carrying them on the flight HOME (which was not allowed my last flight). I don't check my bags, having seen too many pilgrims arrive without a bag. The pros to the Pacer Poles is the handle, which I loved, but I ended up selling two pair because keeping up with them was just more responsibility than I wanted on my Caminos.

The pros of just picking up a stick in Spain is that it works exactly the same way. I only really NEED sticks on hills and there aren't that many. The rest of the time, they're just in my way. Most of the Camino is flat walking. Plus, then you can check it when you leave and it's a great souvenir.
No cons to that type of stick.

As for your backpack, I strongly suspect you'll begin dumping items after your first day, as most pilgrims do.

+ 2 Long Sleeve Icebreaker Tops - I'd just take one
+ 2 Short Sleeve Quick Dry Tops - I'd just take 1
+ Purple North Face Jacket - I've never needed a jacket, except a light windbreaker. After 5 minutes of walking, even in the cold, I'm peeling off layers.

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho - does it zip up the front? Otherwise you are taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, and each time, you have to remove your pack.

+ 2 2XU Leggings (1 Long/1 Mid) - just take one
+ 4 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Bikini Briefs - just take 2 - wear one, wash one

+ 2 Sports Bras
+ Performance Fleece
+ 2 Toe Socks

+ Gloves - I took gloves my first two cold Caminos and never took them again.

+ Headband/Buff - The buff is one of my favorite items

+ Small Torch / Lanyard - please don't walk in the dark - it's silly. Especially in April. Just wait until daylight.

+ 2 Light Weight 500ml Water Bottles * In April you'll only need one bottle. Fill up in every village. I only carry 8 ounces, even in summer.

+ Black Diamond Z Hiking Poles * - just pick up walking sticks there. I've even seen people buy two short ones if you need two, but one stick is enough, honestly.

+ Teva Rest Shoes

+ Light Weight Wallet *

+ Hiking Umbrella *

+ Osprey Stuff Back Pack (Day Bag) - Are you going to hire bag transport? Otherwise, you won't need a day bag, imo.

+ Osprey Toiletry Organiser - just use a nysil stuff sack

+ Osprey Dry Sac 12L - don't need it.

+ Quick Drying Towel

+ Head Lamp - CHOOSE between this and a torch. To me, the head lamp makes more sense but you sure don't need both

+ S Clips - for what?

+ Swiss Army Knife - you don't really need it. Pick up a lightweight cheap knife in Roncesvalles

+ Flat Sink Stopper - you don't need it

+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips - for what?

+ Bedbug Spray

+ Combo Lock - you don't need it.

+ Earplugs - be sure to get GOOD ones if you're staying in albergues! lol!

+ Sunglasses - I've never needed them. What I do NOT see on your list is a brimmed hat, like a Tilley or even baseball cap.

+ Spork - use this instead of taking a knife

+ Duct Tape - wrap a little around your trekking poles but available in most villages

+ Medical/Sewing/Blister Kit - make it VERY small - everything you might need is available in most villages

+ Hike Goo - ???

+ Toothbrush
+ Toothpaste
+ Deodorant
+ Lush Shampoo Bar + Tin
+ Hair Ties
+ Comb

+ Razor - don't 'mess with shaving on the Camino. Not many do.

+ Deodorant - you taking 2 deodorants?

+ Sunscreen - I wouldn't take this in April. You can buy it there if you need it.

+ Medication

+ Camera
+ Chargers (Phone, Camera, Fitbit) - Good Lord. Can you take photos with your camera?

+ European Adaptor - buy a tiny one there for 1 euro in a China shop or on Rick Steves' website. All you need is a tiny plug

+ Headphones

+ USB with important docs - Just email those to yourself

+ 1 Credit Cards / 2 Debt Card/ ID / Passport - Why so many debit/credit cards? Be sure to email yourself photos of front/back in case of loss

+ Guidebook ? - I like Brierleys

+ 1 Rock ! - make it a pebble :p

lightweight sleeping bag; I found a used DOWN bag on craigslist. I cut off the hood and zipper (serger) and now I have this wonderful lightweight down blanket that I love.

Buen Camino!
Annie

Hi Annie,

Absolutely fantastic suggestions, thank you so much. I love the 'mesh bag tip ' for my soap, thank you. I've also definitely culled a few things from my list as a result. There are a few things though that I have reasoning for so lets see if you can change my mind...

+ 2 Long Sleeve Icebreaker Tops - I'd just take one (I'm thinking 2 that I have another to wear in the evening while the first one is drying?)

+ 2 Short Sleeve Quick Dry Tops - I'd just take 1 (Again, same reason)

+ Purple North Face Jacket - I've never needed a jacket, except a light windbreaker. After 5 minutes of walking, even in the cold, I'm peeling off layers. (This one is a wind breaker, I'm trying to decide between this or a fleece?)

+ Ferrino Rain Poncho - does it zip up the front? Otherwise you are taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, and each time, you have to remove your pack. (This is one that pulls over which includes a hump to fit over your backpack)

+ 2 2XU Leggings (1 Long/1 Mid) - just take one (I'm including a long pair for evening wear or alternatively to sleep in if necessary)

+ 4 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Bikini Briefs - just take 2 - wear one, wash one (Noted!)

+ Gloves - I took gloves my first two cold Caminos and never took them again. (Culled! Thank you!)

+ Headband/Buff - The buff is one of my favorite items (I was hoping I could get away with a buff instead of a hat, I bloody hate hats & they look horrific on me!)

+ Small Torch / Lanyard - please don't walk in the dark - it's silly. Especially in April. Just wait until daylight. (Great advice, thank you!)

+ Hiking Umbrella (Think I might get rid of this, it sounds like too much fiddling around?)

+ Osprey Stuff Back Pack (Day Bag) - Are you going to hire bag transport? Otherwise, you won't need a day bag, imo. (It's a lightweight backpack that packs down to nothing. For use on rest days & in the evening)

+ S Clips - for what? (Hanging things to dry off backpack if necessary?)

+ Flat Sink Stopper - you don't need it (I'd read on a couple of pages that it was necessary for washing at albergues at the end of the day?)

+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips - for what? (Hanging washing instead of pegs, they're lighter)

+ Sunglasses - I've never needed them. What I do NOT see on your list is a brimmed hat, like a Tilley or even baseball cap. (Man, I hate wearing a hat!! A buff?!)

+ Hike Goo - ??? (I'd read it was good to put on your feet at the start of the day, alternatively Gold Bond or something similar?)

+ Guidebook ? - I like Brierleys (I'm hoping i might just be able to get away with one of the guides on my phone etc so I don't have to lug Brierley's book around?)

Wax your legs and armpits the day before you leave. You won't need a razor after that. Okay, maybe 3 or 4 weeks in but you can always buy one there.
Too many pairs of underwear! You only need 2. Trust me on that.
I'd say you have too many shirts. But maybe you get cold when it's in the 20s. I sure don't and I only needed 2 short sleeve t-shirts and 1 synthetic puffy plus a light weight rain shell. (only used the puffy once when going over a high pass in rain and wind) I prefer the synthetic puffy jackets to fleece because they dry fast and are much lighter. Mine is also windproof so it has that added benefit.
But being that you are from a very warm climate, you may be more sensitive to the cold. Just remember that once you start walking, you will generate a lot of heat. I prefer to walk a little cool so that I don't over heat. But I saw a lot of people walking with multiple layers when temps where in the 20s and even 30s. So I guess some people like to sweat when they walk. You will have to decide what your preference is.

Thank you for all your input, it's greatly appreciated indeed! Great advice re: fleece vs a jacket, this is something I'm still trying to decide between.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Annie,
+ Guidebook ? - I like Brierleys (I'm hoping i might just be able to get away with one of the guides on my phone etc so I don't have to lug Brierley's book around?)

I used both of these apps. They both had their strengths and I think the combination of the two eliminates the need for a book.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/walking-guide-to-the-camino-de-santiago/id869785034?ls=1&mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trekright-camino-de-santiago/id772358843?mt=8

I absolutely hate wearing hats, do you think I could just get away with wearing a buff on my head instead?
Me too! I hate hats. They make me hot. I took a buff and only wore it once over the Hospitales pass because it was so windy and cold. I tanned before I left and used face sunscreen. Never burned. But a wide brimmed hat might not be a bad idea if you burn easy.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Elisha please take or reject suggestions as you wish. It's not really on to expect a forum member to 'see if you can change my mind' after they have already given up their time to give you detailed advice.

BTW if you have no hat or umbrella your face will burn.

@Elisha please take or reject suggestions as you wish. It's not really on to expect a forum member to 'see if you can change my mind' after they have already given up their time to give you detailed advice.

BTW if you have no hat or umbrella your face will burn. As an Australian I am sure you are aware how detrimental that can be.

Obviously I was only being lighthearted. Considering how wonderful Annie's advice has been, I'm only implying that I value her opinion & I'm hoping I can be inspired to leave more at home based on other's suggestions & comments. Nothing more.

Last edited:
I take both a buff and a hat.
The buff for warmth. It can be worn around the head, the neck, the wrist when you aren't using it.
The hat to keep sun/rain out of my eyes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

USB with important docs

I think you need 3 pairs socks. They tend to be the slowest drying of all your clothes
Get an ultrasil dry bag in a capacity bigger than your backpack, for it to work well as a liner
Ditch the small nicknackery - knife, spork, clips, sink plug, padlock, duct tape, S clips

You need a sunhat
Any cheap poles will do

Thanks, I appreciate the links. Great advice re: an Ultrasil Dry Bag & I've thrown another pair of socks onto the list. I've also culled a few items based on what you've mentioned. I had read that a sink stopper/plug was necessary for washing at a lot of albergues?

Thanks, I appreciate the links. Great advice re: an Ultrasil Dry Bag & I've thrown another pair of socks onto the list. I've also culled a few items based on what you've mentioned. I had read that a sink stopper/plug was necessary for washing at a lot of albergues?

I've never needed one. It's another of those many things that they sell on rotating racks at airports that once you start carrying everything on your back you realise are complete junk. Like toothbrush covers and inflatable neck pillows, and travel clothes lines, and anything that has the word 'organiser' in the title.
You need 6 large safety pins to use as clothes pegs. Sometimes you will pin your socks on your pack to dry as you walk, sometimes you pin your clothes to the line with them. I like an eye mask as people shine torches around early in the morning. Other than that I hate all travel gadgets with a passion. I backpacked for a year and left so much stuff behind you would not believe.

I've never needed one. It's another of those many things that they sell on rotating racks at airports that once you start carrying everything on your back you realise are complete junk. Like toothbrush covers and inflatable neck pillows, and travel clothes lines, and anything that has the word 'organiser' in the title.
You need 6 large safety pins to use as clothes pegs. Sometimes you will pin your socks on your pack to dry as you walk, sometimes you pin your clothes to the line with them. I like an eye mask as people shine torches around early in the morning. Other than that I hate all travel gadgets with a passion. I backpacked for a year and left so much stuff behind you would not believe.

That all makes complete sense. I'd had paperclips listed for hanging clothes, but I can see how safety pins would be more functional when drying items on your backpack. Good one!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would definitely keep the sunscreen and gloves. Just because it's not the height of summer you can get burned, especially when you are outside for most of the day! I really appreciated my lightweight wool gloves (actually liner gloves) on a few days last September when it was rainy with a bitter cold wind. The only parts that got cold were my hands and my face, and I put my Buff up over my face to keep warm.

My Euroschirm hands free umbrella was the single heaviest item that I carried, but well worth the weight when I walked in August/September to provide much needed shade, especially on the Meseta. It worked great for rain too. :)

I bring 3 pair of underwear, just in case one pair goes missing off the clothesline.:p

I think that you just need one pair of leggings.

For phone charging I have this European plug dual charger I bought on Amazon.

Hi Elisha, Seeing you are in Australia, here's the sleeping bag I recently purchased from Snow Gum:
https://www.snowgum.com.au/shop/product/115691/507/snowgum-micro-600-down-sleeping-bag
Light weight and approx. $150AUD (I picked it up cheaper in one of their sales). Testing so far has been limited to the couch, but have found it fine on milder nights. I plan on taking a silk liner as well. Like you, my trip is not planned until 2018, probably May/June. Thanks for posting your packing list - I love reading these and getting ideas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done four Caminos in four different shoes, and my last Camino I walked in Hoka One One. The Hoka's are by far the very best one can wear on the Camino, although they were not as "water proof " as advertised but absolutely comfortable, no blisters and no loss of toenails like the first three Caminos.

Bums Camino

I will have a go at the revised version you posted above...

+ 2 Long Sleeve Icebreaker Tops - I'd just take one (I'm thinking 2 that I have another to wear in the evening while the first one is drying?)
  • OK but see next item
  • How many shirts will you be wearing at once in the evening? What are you wearing to sleep in; that could be what you wear in the evening. Besides, what is wrong with the jacket or the fleece discussed below? You wouldn't be the first pilgrim to wear a poncho around on a sunny day, with nothing underneath! :p
+ Purple North Face Jacket - I've never needed a jacket, except a light windbreaker. After 5 minutes of walking, even in the cold, I'm peeling off layers. (This one is a wind breaker, I'm trying to decide between this or a fleece?)
  • If you leave out one of the long-sleeve shirts in the above item, take a light fleece and the light windbreaker. That would give you a lot of flexibility.
+ Ferrino Rain Poncho - does it zip up the front? Otherwise you are taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, and each time, you have to remove your pack. (This is one that pulls over which includes a hump to fit over your backpack)
  • I take a rain jacket, which is good as a windbreaker or rain protection.
+ 2 2XU Leggings (1 Long/1 Mid) - just take one (I'm including a long pair for evening wear or alternatively to sleep in if necessary)
  • Two pairs of pants of some sort is appropriate. Personally I would take one pair of regular pants instead of a second pair of leggings.
+ 4 ExOfficio Give-N-Go Bikini Briefs - just take 2 - wear one, wash one (Noted!)
  • I am extravagant and take 3, including those I am wearing. Often lose 1 pair!
+ Gloves - I took gloves my first two cold Caminos and never took them again. (Culled! Thank you!)
  • I love my liner gloves and would take them except in June-August.
+ Headband/Buff - The buff is one of my favorite items (I was hoping I could get away with a buff instead of a hat, I bloody hate hats & they look horrific on me!)
  • Buff and hat usually serve different purposes. Do you have a visor? Sunglasses? A hat would be easy to acquire.
+ Small Torch / Lanyard - please don't walk in the dark - it's silly. Especially in April. Just wait until daylight. (Great advice, thank you!)
  • Agree with not walking in the dark.
+ Hiking Umbrella (Think I might get rid of this, it sounds like too much fiddling around?)
  • Personal decision. Depends on how you handle the heat. For rain, you have a poncho.
+ Osprey Stuff Back Pack (Day Bag) - Are you going to hire bag transport? Otherwise, you won't need a day bag, imo. (It's a lightweight backpack that packs down to nothing. For use on rest days & in the evening)
  • OK if it weighs less than 75 g or so.
  • S clip is useful for hanging backpack on bunk, or toiletries bag in shower. For drying things on your pack, use safety pins.
+ Flat Sink Stopper - you don't need it (I'd read on a couple of pages that it was necessary for washing at albergues at the end of the day?)
  • I wouldn't bother with this, although the water-conservation thread would point out that it reduces the amount of water used for hand washing. I just stuff one of the socks being washed, into the drain.
+ 8 Small Bulldog Clips - for what? (Hanging washing instead of pegs, they're lighter)
  • No. Safety pins are lighter and more versatile. Diaper pins are the best.
+ Sunglasses - I've never needed them. What I do NOT see on your list is a brimmed hat, like a Tilley or even baseball cap. (Man, I hate wearing a hat!! A buff?!)
  • See comment on hat above. As an Australian you would likely have experience with what you need to be comfortable in the sun. Fortunately, the sun tends to be behind you on the Camino Frances. I use a visor to keep rain and sun out of my eyes.
+ Hike Goo - ??? (I'd read it was good to put on your feet at the start of the day, alternatively Gold Bond or something similar?)
  • Maybe just some Vaseline.
  • Personal choice. You can get away without a paper guide. I just like having the paper maps. Consider the "maps-only" version of Brierley.

I will have a go at the revised version you posted above...

• OK but see next item
  • How many shirts will you be wearing at once in the evening? What are you wearing to sleep in; that could be what you wear in the evening. Besides, what is wrong with the jacket or the fleece discussed below? You wouldn't be the first pilgrim to wear a poncho around on a sunny day, with nothing underneath! :p
  • If you leave out one of the long-sleeve shirts in the above item, take a light fleece and the light windbreaker. That would give you a lot of flexibility.
  • I take a rain jacket, which is good as a windbreaker or rain protection.
  • Two pairs of pants of some sort is appropriate. Personally I would take one pair of regular pants instead of a second pair of leggings.
  • I am extravagant and take 3, including those I am wearing. Often lose 1 pair!
  • I love my liner gloves and would take them except in June-August.
  • Buff and hat usually serve different purposes. Do you have a visor? Sunglasses? A hat would be easy to acquire.
  • Agree with not walking in the dark.
  • Personal decision. Depends on how you handle the heat. For rain, you have a poncho.
  • OK if it weighs less than 75 g or so.
  • S clip is useful for hanging backpack on bunk, or toiletries bag in shower. For drying things on your pack, use safety pins.
  • I wouldn't bother with this, although the water-conservation thread would point out that it reduces the amount of water used for hand washing. I just stuff one of the socks being washed, into the drain.
  • No. Safety pins are lighter and more versatile. Diaper pins are the best.
  • See comment on hat above. As an Australian you would likely have experience with what you need to be comfortable in the sun. Fortunately, the sun tends to be behind you on the Camino Frances. I use a visor to keep rain and sun out of my eyes.
  • Maybe just some Vaseline.
  • Personal choice. You can get away without a paper guide. I just like having the paper maps. Consider the "maps-only" version of Brierley.

Unreal! Thank you so much for your suggestions.

The Vaseline point is fantastic as I was planning on taking some anyway for use as lip balm. I've had no previous experience with powers & balms etc when hiking, I'd never felt I needed it but felt swayed by some peoples opinion that it was important.

The hat thing; keeps on coming up so I guess I'm going to have to wrap my head around that one & make friends with a hat that I like.

Some excellent points, thank you!! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done four Caminos in four different shoes, and my last Camino I walked in Hoka One One. The Hoka's are by far the very best one can wear on the Camino, although they were not as "water proof " as advertised but absolutely comfortable, no blisters and no loss of toenails like the first three Caminos.

Bums Camino

Yep! So far I'm so in love with the Hoka's, they're incredible!

Hi Elisha. Lots of good info here and I hope you are not confused.
Are you aware that there is a Camino group in Sydney that meets once a month - next meeting Wed 5 July. www.pilgrimsinsydney.org for details. The first hour of each meeting is for new pilgrims, usually 6 - 10, when you can ask any question you wish, followed by a general meeting for everyone usually about 30 - 50. You are most welcome to come along and chat, and no formality. If more convenient for you there is also a group that meets once a month at Blackheath - next meeting 30 June. No website yet but send me a private conversation (see top of this page 2nd line under Recent Posts)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
camino-david, you should edit your post and remove the email address. Margaret may not appreciate receiving spam from having it posted on a public forum. You can send the OP and private message here on the forum with the information.

trecile: I agree that I should not have posted Margaret's email address, and I see that a moderator has already removed it.

USB with important docs

You need a sunhat
Any cheap poles will do

You have a great list. Seems like a lot of weight though. Agree on Lush tin- it was impenetrable when wet, so I used a tiny jewelry mesh bag. And I used my headlamp many many times, especially when pre-dawn risers woke me (daily) and I just gave up sleep and started walking in the dark. Yes, pre-treat for bugs and leave spray at home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Hi newbie here - question about ummmm - shoes? - I walk a good bit and regularly at home - but its dead flat and obviously I'm not covering anywhere near the mileage I will on the Camino day after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.