• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino in July/August

NOLA Cajun

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, Via Francigena, C. Ingles, Finisterre/Muxia
this is going to be my first Camino (Frances). I originally planned it for May/June 2016 but couldn't make it work because of my job schedule. Now the only possible time is July/first half of August. However, I am concerned about a couple of things.
1. No 1 concern is the crowd. How busy is it going to get in July/August? I've read so much about the race for beds and would like to avoid it as much as possible. Will it be possible to walk the Camino without booking in advance?
2. The weather. I'm no stranger to hot and humid (I live in southern Louisiana) but have no experience with the Spanish summer. Can you comment on what I should expect?
3. The gear. I pretty much had it all figured for May Camino. What would be the difference in your gear for May vs. July? Are there any items that you would take with you in May but not in July?
4. Shoes/boots. I expected May to be possibly rainy, so I chose Solomon GTX ultra mid goretex hiking boots. Now I think they may be too hot for July. Is goretex really needed for the summer or should I go with more breathable non-waterproof, non-goretex boots? I know the perennial boot/ shoe dilemma but since I have one weak ankle that has been dislocated several times I really need a boot. My question is mostly: goretex or not.
Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The weather. I did the VDLP in June/July in the middle of the heatwave. North Spain will be a little cooler but in a heatwave, not much. Avoid walking after 2 pm whenever possible. When you have no idea how much water you will need, assume a minimum of 0.5 litres/hr. You may need 1 litre/hr which is a better estimate. I live in the Australian Outback and have lived in desert areas too so was pretty acclimatised but I still needed heaps. The Spanish drink Aquarius is your friend! Have a read about hiking umbrellas - great for shade and rain.
Start at first light - the dawns are beautiful. I'm not one to go scrambling around in the dark but it was good to be out the door by about 6.30 am. Carry lollies. When your body is under stress and you are also a little dehydrated, a small glucose hit keeps you going.

Get non-Goretex boots. Your feet need to breathe and I would expect the streams to be at their lowest levels. Otherwise your blister risk goes up if the sweat is trapped in your boots.
I did not carry a fleece and never needed it. I had two non-cotton tshirts (Montane Bionic - the one in my profile pic - was brilliant, and an Adidas running shirt), a light long sleeved merino base layer, an Arcteryx windjacket and a poncho. And a sarong as well as my buff. I was prepared to wear everything if I got cold. Occasionally I would break out the wind jacket but it was rare. Never needed the merino base layer walking - it was my albergue top.

July/August is usually hot. I've walked mid June to late July and it was not as bad as I thought it might be. There always seemed to be a breeze in the morning, especially on the meseta. We tried to only walk to 1pm; it did mean early starts.

Consider hiking sandals instead of boots or shoes. Decent hiking sandals - there are a few threads in the forum such as here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sandals-instead-of-boots.31517/

In the heat I wear a merino singlet as my top, and carry a reflective umbrella, rigged up handsfree. If no umbrella, a long-sleeved loose lightweight linen smock. Watch for sunburn, don't forget feet if you do go with sandals and no socks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Look in the equipment forum. I posted a comprehensive listing of summer gear with reviews.

Get rid of gore tex everything

Buy sandals as backups and to let your feet breathe when resting. Keen, tevas, chacos etc.

Don't take boots. Get breathable shoes built for distance like Merrell Moabs or Hoka Cliftons, ATRs, etc.

I live in North Florida. If you've trained in the heat, you'll be fine. Walking from 6am to 1pm there is about the same as SELA and we did it in record Spainish heat in July.

I would bring bike gloves and wear them to prevent sunburn on your hands. I walked the CF this April/May and a number of my fellow pilgrims remarked that they wished that they had similar gloves. The gloves will not add much weight and you should not have to carry them in your back pack in any case.
Believe someone said to wear a long sleeved shirt. Agree totally. Minimize sun exposure.
Also agree, non waterproof shoes vs. waterproof boots. About a size larger than you normally wear. Your feet will swell.
You have 152 muscles in each foot. Find some exercises to strengthen those muscles! Your feet will wear down from the stress of walking day after day, carrying a heavy load on your back.
I see from your handle that you are probably an LSU fan. Hope my Aggies do a number on them tomorrow.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this is going to be my first Camino (Frances). I originally planned it for May/June 2016 but couldn't make it work because of my job schedule. Now the only possible time is July/first half of August. However, I am concerned about a couple of things.
1. No 1 concern is the crowd. How busy is it going to get in July/August? I've read so much about the race for beds and would like to avoid it as much as possible. Will it be possible to walk the Camino without booking in advance?
2. The weather. I'm no stranger to hot and humid (I live in southern Louisiana) but have no experience with the Spanish summer. Can you comment on what I should expect?
3. The gear. I pretty much had it all figured for May Camino. What would be the difference in your gear for May vs. July? Are there any items that you would take with you in May but not in July?
4. Shoes/boots. I expected May to be possibly rainy, so I chose Solomon GTX ultra mid goretex hiking boots. Now I think they may be too hot for July. Is goretex really needed for the summer or should I go with more breathable non-waterproof, non-goretex boots? I know the perennial boot/ shoe dilemma but since I have one weak ankle that has been dislocated several times I really need a boot. My question is mostly: goretex or not.
Any comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Nola, I think everything is already said. The only thing I have to say to is that you have a Buen Camino, Peter.

I just booked for the same time. Hoping to walk from Pamplona to Muxia. Maybe I'll see you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.