• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino, many questions

Miguel Pazos

Time of past OR future Camino
Will begin on September 8th, 2016
Hello Peregrinos!
I am a new member full of positive anticipation for this journey. I will arrive in Madrid on Sept. 7th, then somehow find my way to SJPP, and hopefully begin to walk on the 9th. One important two-part question (at least to me, anyway), How do airlines view hiking poles and backpacks for carry on? And, would it be better to buy the poles once there?
If anyone else is planning on these same dates maybe we can begin a conversation here?
Thanks to any and all that can offer some ideas.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be hanging out in Burgos on the 21st of September doing errands: buying hiking poles and shipping a bag ahead to Santiago. I'll start hiking on the 22nd, so maybe...

I'll be hanging out in Burgos on the 21st of September doing errands: buying hiking poles and shipping a bag ahead to Santiago. I'll start hiking on the 22nd, so maybe...
Hi Bill Mclaughlin, thank you for your reply. If all my transfers reach their destinations on time (big if as I start out in Austin, TX), I should be arriving in Burgos on 20-21 Sept. I´ll definitely stay connected through this forum throughout the process.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How do airlines view hiking poles and backpacks for carry on?

For packs - if it fits within your airline's carry-on luggage size requirements, then you can carry it on. If not, then you have to check it. For poles, there isn't any concrete answer, and it isn't the airlines, but rather airport security that makes the call. Some people report having their poles taken away at security and others report being able to go through no problem. I think that if you have collapsible poles that you can make small enough to fit in your pack, you are more likely to get them through security.

For packs - if it fits within your airline's carry-on luggage size requirements, then you can carry it on. If not, then you have to check it. For poles, there isn't any concrete answer, and it isn't the airlines, but rather airport security that makes the call. Some people report having their poles taken away at security and others report being able to go through no problem. I think that if you have collapsible poles that you can make small enough to fit in your pack, you are more likely to get them through security.
Hello November moon, and thank you for your reply. Let me ask you a follow up question: are you aware of hiking poles left behind by pilgrims, used, for sale at affordable prices?

Hello Peregrinos!
I am a new member full of positive anticipation for this journey. I will arrive in Madrid on Sept. 7th, then somehow find my way to SJPP, and hopefully begin to walk on the 9th. One important two-part question (at least to me, anyway), How do airlines view hiking poles and backpacks for carry on? And, would it be better to buy the poles once there?
If anyone else is planning on these same dates maybe we can begin a conversation here?
Have a great Camino! The question of hiking poles as carry-on luggage has been much debated in the forum- they seem to be listed as prohibited but in practice it seems to depend on the particular airline and route whether or not they actually let them on. I checked my pack and poles in last time and all went well. I've heard of others who have just checked in their poles, well packed in a tube. Time before I bought poles after I arrived. I've heard SJPP has a hiking shop if you want to get poles there, maybe someone else could confirm?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
are you aware of hiking poles left behind by pilgrims, used, for sale at affordable prices?
Many are left behind, but they are in Santiago and you will be in SJPdP!! I always check my backpack with the poles in it. Twice my backpack was delayed out of about fifteen arrivals. It can be a crap shoot!

... How do airlines view hiking poles and backpacks for carry on? And, would it be better to buy the poles once there?

Hiking poles, with sharp ends, are considered a potential weapon. Whilst there might be some leeway in general they are not allowed as carry-on. Backpack dimensions - please check what your chosen airline states about them.

Poles Solutions - Put in (separate) bag and check-in or buy at arrival, probably at a slightly higher price.
Buen Camino, SY

Many are left behind, but they are in Santiago and you will be in SJPdP!! I always check my backpack with the poles in it. Twice my backpack was delayed out of about fifteen arrivals. It can be a crap shoot!
Hey falcon269, thank you for your reply. All I can say about my Q is, Duh!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hiking poles, with sharp ends, are considered a potential weapon. Whilst there might be some leeway in general they are not allowed as carry-on. Backpack dimensions - please check what your chosen airline states about them.

Poles Solutions - Put in (separate) bag and check-in or buy at arrival, probably at a slightly higher price.
Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SY. It's looking more and more the hiking poles really complicate carry on logistics. Oh well. Minor hassle, really.

Just put everything that could be considered a carry on problem in a separate bag and check it in. Buen Camino, SY

Have a great Camino! The question of hiking poles as carry-on luggage has been much debated in the forum- they seem to be listed as prohibited but in practice it seems to depend on the particular airline and route whether or not they actually let them on. I checked my pack and poles in last time and all went well. I've heard of others who have just checked in their poles, well packed in a tube. Time before I bought poles after I arrived. I've heard SJPP has a hiking shop if you want to get poles there, maybe someone else could confirm?

I can confirm that there are plenty poles for sale at SJPDP. In fact I think one can arrive empty handed and buy everything needed at SJPDP.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I didn't already own all this crap & know what I do after walking, I believe a person could show up with just the clothes on their back. We all would start out much lighter. Yet it simply goes against human survival to take a chance.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We bought poles when in SJPP along with a knife to cut bread (2016). On the way home we checked them as luggage, and they are now in the hallway with our first set that we bought in 2015. I thought about checking the first set, but decided it was not worth the hassle of having luggage that might be lost. We traveled just with our packs as carry-ons. We also just bought the wooden walking poles-- though I do have pricey komperdels here at home.

If I didn't already own all this crap & know what I do after walking, I believe a person could show up with just the clothes on their back. We all would start out much lighter. Yet it simply goes against human survival to take a chance.
MT, thank you for your feedback and I agree. Travel light is my mantra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Miguel,

I don't have an answer to your question but I was searching for an answer to it and I noticed you are in Austin as well. I will start out on the Camino from SJDP on Sept 20th and am giving myself 5 weeks to do the whole thing.

Good luck to you! Have you found any meetups for people in Austin to discuss the Camino?

Daphne

You can buy poles in SJPP, as many have remarked! If you have Z Poles (Diamond?) you can fold them up and put them in your backpack, and check the thing. Don't worry too much! All will unfold as you are in SJPP!

Hello Peregrinos!
Hi Miguel - we are flying out of NYC on Sept. 4, and staying at Orisson Sept.6, so will be a day or so ahead of you, but plan on slowing down once over the Pyrenees. Hope we will meet up. I checked my backpack with hiking poles collapsed inside them last time, and am planning on doing the same this time, at least with my husband's pack and both sets of poles. I'm currently experimenting with a lumbar back, which I could carry on. In years of flying I've only had bags delayed twice, so as said above, it's a crap shoot. I had never used hiking poles before, but they became my indisputable best friends almost immediately. I could not have completed it without them. So they are a necessity to bring rather than risk buying them there (although I'm sure you can). I walked briefly on and off with someone from Austin last time. If you would like I could contact her and see if she would like to get together with you, etc. Just pm me if you would like me to do this. The camino is an incredible experience, and I hope we run into you - buen camino, Cherry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depends on your airline, but I flew through the States (arguably the strictest security?) and had to check my poles. I ended up checking my entire backpack in order to keep my swiss army knife and shampoo. Does your travel insurance cover lost baggage?

All that said, poles are extremely cheap on the Camino Frances. My friend bought some in Pamplona for €15

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Depends on your airline, but I flew through the States (arguably the strictest security?) and had to check my poles. I ended up checking my entire backpack in order to keep my swiss army knife and shampoo. Does your travel insurance cover lost baggage?

All that said, poles are extremely cheap on the Camino Frances. My friend bought some in Pamplona for €15
Thanks for your feedback Chloe, I already decided to buy the poles there so I can carry my backpack with me. The connection in Philadelphia is a very tight one and if my flight from Austin is late I will have to run to catch my connection to Madrid. Would hate to have to wait a day in Madrid for my backpack if I checked it.

Hello Peregrinos!
Hello Peregrinos!
Hi Miguel, thanks for asking the question about the poles. I now plan to buy mine when I get there. I will begin my walk the 8th of September. Arriving the 5th in Barcelona from Washington State. This is my first and I'm going solo. Good chance we will meet sometime.

Hi Miguel, thanks for asking the question about the poles. I now plan to buy mine when I get there. I will begin my walk the 8th of September. Arriving the 5th in Barcelona from Washington State. This is my first and I'm going solo. Good chance we will meet sometime.
Hi there, I'm also leaving my two little dogs, my wife, my comfi bed, my gorgeous shower, and if all my flights and ground connections are on time, I begin my Camino the dawn of Sept. 9th. We'll be a day apart. There is a good chance that at some point I might choose to bus ahead a couple of stages so I might catch up to you. Except that unless you see me, and recognize me from my pic, there is no way I'll know who you are. Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there, I'm also leaving my two little dogs, my wife, my comfi bed, my gorgeous shower, and if all my flights and ground connections are on time, I begin my Camino the dawn of Sept. 9th. We'll be a day apart. There is a good chance that at some point I might choose to bus ahead a couple of stages so I might catch up to you. Except that unless you see me, and recognize me from my pic, there is no way I'll know who you are. Buen camino!
I haven't figured out how to post my picture. I am leaving my husband, comfi bed, and obviously my little dog. My name is Cheryl. I am planning on going the Napoleon route and now looking into where to stay in St. Jean or maybe Orisson. Bueno Camino to you.

I haven't figured out how to post my picture. I am leaving my husband, comfi bed, and obviously my little dog. My name is Cheryl. I am planning on going the Napoleon route and now looking into where to stay in St. Jean or maybe Orisson. Bueno Camino to you.
Hi Cheryl, thanks for the info. I too plan to take the Napoleon route, and depending on the time I get to SJPP, I'll either spend the night there or move ahead to Orisson although this seems to be a smaller and pricier choice, subject to prior reservations.
As for your pic, look for your name on the top right hand corner of the page, click in it and click AVATAR. That's where you can upload pics to your profile. Hope this helps. And best of journeys.

Hi Cheryl, thanks for the info. I too plan to take the Napoleon route, and depending on the time I get to SJPP, I'll either spend the night there or move ahead to Orisson although this seems to be a smaller and pricier choice, subject to prior reservations.
As for your pic, look for your name on the top right hand corner of the page, click in it and click AVATAR. That's where you can upload pics to your profile. Hope this helps. And best of journeys.
Not a close up but thats ok. Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back